Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why are you encouraging MS to add complexity when it is not required ?
    Just let us create a Folder like say "C:\Data and then create appropriate sub folders.
    You may say that we are still allowed to do that.
    But if people keep submitting to (and praising) MS inane changes (Win 7 Start Menu, Ribbon, Libraries), then MS will be encouraged to do more (aka restrict us more) in future OS's
    Rob
    PS Try changing the Win 7 Start menu to get as close to Classic as possible.
    You will find that attempts to re-organize the Start Menu items, gets near impossible, as MS blocks access that we used to have.
    PPS
    There is another fan of MS changes on this web site -
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fiv...03?tag=nl.e101
    My comment was added there, a few hours ago. Look for 'SHEEP' in the Title
    PPPS
    On a constructive note, I have added another comment on that site, providing a link to this article. Those (over there), that love the Libraries, will learn more from your article.
    I assume that membership is required to read your article, so this should add more members.
    Last edited by RobCr; 2011-03-10 at 10:28.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RobCr For This Useful Post:

pseudoid (2011-03-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    It's great to have all those views nicely sorted and organised for you but how do you back them up? They are scattered all over the place, and as far as I know there is no way that you can do a backup of those scattered files.... I know that the libraries function can bring things together nicely for you - if you could use that to make a backup to some other location, that would be great - anyone know how?
    I don't know how other backup programs see the libraries, but Win 7's built-in backup utility allows the libraries to be selected for backup just like standard folders. I don't do this because I backup by partition/hard drive but the option is there. The built-in backup is actually more flexible than I expected it to be. Probably not enough for some users but we all have different needs and it meets mine adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCr View Post
    Why are you encouraging MS to add complexity when it is not required ?
    Just let us create a Folder like say "C:\Data and then create appropriate sub folders.
    You may say that we are still allowed to do that.
    But if people keep submitting to (and praising) MS inane changes (Win 7 Start Menu, Ribbon, Libraries), then MS will be encouraged to do more (aka restrict us more) in future OS's
    Rob
    Maybe because a lot of people find it useful? I just got my first Win 7 computer last week and I already utilize the library feature extensively. One of the things that I wanted to do on this desktop that wasn't an option with my laptops was move my user data to a secondary hard drive and distribute various user file types among different partitions for a custom backup imaging scheme. It took literally less than five minutes to create new folders in the correct locations and change the library folders.

I also have several applications that get or create files that need to be imported into another application. I just add the file locations for those apps to a library and navigate there with the importing app, sort by date, and there are all of the day's files ready to be imported, even though they are actually residing in 5 different folders.

I would say the libraries are actually *less* restrictive than previous methods because we now get to tell Windows exactly where we want our stuff to be instead of jumping through hoops to change the default locations. Two users can now use the same Video or Music locations, for example, with just a few clicks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the story. At the end you should have had the readers delete the WS Demo library. It was a little scary deleting it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The advantage to a kind of "pointer" system of organizing files is that you can cross-categorize them in a number of ways.. e.g., a virtual folder of all PowerPoint slides alongside a virtual folder of some specific content in which some of the same PowerPoint files might also be found. You could have always done this by using shortcuts in folders (so as to need only one "real" location) but that's a pain and gets you intro trouble if you move the real file's location.

So libraries can be great, but to really be helpful, you now need to store the real files in the smallest meaningful folder that can then be virtually merged into any number of future libraries... I don't think that's an easy thing to do. That's why it would be so much more helpful to be able to include/exclude individual files (though a lot more background housekeeping, of course). Sharepoint offers an alternative to all this by essentially creating a database of files that allow you to "query" them in any number of ways depending on how many and what fields you created for your file content (using metacontent or tags or whatever).

For now, I seem to be migrating to a system in which I depend more on high-speed searching and caring less where ANY file might be stored... I haven't take the leap to just making one huge "bin," yet, but with proper tagging or fast content search, it almost doesn't matter how you organize the files.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a good way to Save when using libraries?

I find libraries quite useful for finding things, but using a library from a Save dialog can be quite confusing. If I just save to a library, I can't tell where the file will actually wind up. To ensure the file goes where I want it, I wind up playing games with changing views. That can be a big nuisance if you're doing it a lot. Is there an easier way?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzyDave View Post
    using a library from a Save dialog can be quite confusing. If I just save to a library, I can't tell where the file will actually wind up.
    See eg Fig 8 in Fred's article. Note the "Default save location" beside his first 'real' folder. That's where files saved to the WS Demo library will be saved. You can of course change it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clear post especially the reference to Tags. I thought to myself that this is my "aha" moment, but turned out to be an "OhNo". I have a lot of downloaded course material which happens to be in pdf, swf .. types of files - no tags.

At least your positive words will cause me to explore the benefit of Libraries.

Thanks
    Truman

Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Libraries

Fred's article on Win7 libraries is outstanding. I've long been a Langa fan because he has a fantastic ability to select practical topics and provide logical, succinct, and understandable information. We need more of this kind of material in Windows Secrets versus some of the esoteric stuff that likely is not of value except to a small number of computer geniuses. Short of overworking him, let's have more from Fred!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using the Libraries feature for some time, but Fred's article reminded me that I would like to create a library of my emails for easy searching. I have two folders containing the "pst" files from Outlook (2003 version) and so created the library and added the folders. So far, so good. When I tried some searches on known contents I received no hits, so something is not working as I'd hoped.

If I try the same search from the "orb" then I get the hits I expect. I realize that the pst files have to be open in Outlook for any search to work, but I do wonder why searching a library containing them does not work.

Any ideas?

Jim

Thanks
    Very good article, Fred
    I must agree with RobCr fully.
    And if I may add my 2cents to the discussion with some suggestions.
    I also feel "Libraries" are another nuisance-layer that is contributing to the complexity of visualizing and virtualizing data, that is ultimately stored as a bunch of bits in hardware (local and/or networked).
    I can fully sympathize with many of the members that have migrated to the "Libraries" since the current Explorer (born as 'FileManager' then ‘WindowsExplorer’) can be tricky/finicky tool to search/locate/navigate to desired data (in the form of folders/files).
    I consider these "Libraries" the equivalent of 'band-aids' to cover skin cancer.
    If we can all agree that the whole file management task (at the hardware layer) is a complex entity and it has always morphed along the analogue of Moore's Law; then we can also conclude that Libraries are yet another attempt by the Operating System to allow user to somehow 'connect and engage' with data that is continually growing in content and quantity.
    I am certain there will be many more band-aid (Ahem >> placebo) fixes to the file management system that is almost inherently flawed and has become way too bloated.

*Please allow me to hark back to the old DOS {unix?} days of 8 character limitation to file/data naming.
    *And also please remember the old adage about "Garbage In; Garbage Out"
    I mention the above, as the responsibilities of the data owner/user still has not changed one iota, after all these years.
    Things like "Libraries" become superfluous if the user is (and has always been) diligent about properly 'folderizing', organizing and naming data.
    As Microsoft (itself) states in the link Fred provided:
    Libraries… making it easier…
    Which pre-supposes that it was nasty to begin with and will continue to be upgraded. As a user, our only due diligence can be to continually pay attention to proper “data management” to work in concert with the short comings of our computers ‘file management” system.
    Just throwing (for example) all your digital photos in stacks labeled “2011” (or “2010”) and then hoping that the “Libraries” somehow and magically do your thinking and data management responsibilities for you is like waiting for a miracle to sort out the GIGO.
    I proudly maintain my own data and donot need another layer of complexity to my data retrieval chores.

But can someone please answer the following two Win7 nits for me:
    1. How to prevent Win7 from renaming my own “_DocZ” folder to “Documents” without user consent?
    2. How can I prioritize Explorer to display the physical/hardware (aka 'Computer') content before the Libraries enumerations?

Thanks
    In the good old days, XP allowed you to put pics in the pictures folder, music in ETC. Now it seems us slaves have to create a folder, name it, put stuff in it then go to liberties sorry libraries and tell it where to find them.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't use the Arrange feature.

From the article, one should be able to "Go on! Try the Arrange by: Name filter on your new library." However, other than Folder and Clear Changes I can not select any other item - grayed out.

Any suggestions?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too. I can add all the folders I want, but my view is stuck in "Arrange by..Folder. No other choice is allowed, although at least mine are not gray. If you cannot rearrange folder contents out of the folders, what use is it? Internet search => possible indexing issue. Checked that, still stuck in Folders. As a friend once said, this is another Microsoft Moment.

Thanks
    Great Article Fred and thanks.... you may have just saved the day for me on an upcoming project!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to add network folders to Libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by stualden View Post
    Sadly, MS tried to cripple libraries a bit by trying to require network shares to be synchronised before they can be added to a library. But the best workaround I've found to that is a handy tool called Win 7 Library Tool - get it here . This GREATLY increases the value of libraries to anyone with a multi-computer setup (which seems like most of us by now!!!)
    @Fred: There's a some confusion running around on the 'net about whether Libraries can include network folders and, if so, how best to do it (Google: "windows 7" libraries include network). stualden (quoted, above) points to one solution I've heard of, but there's also a relevant discussion on the WindowsSevenForums. (Parenthetically, the "always available offline" solution looks brain-dead to me, as it seems to work against the whole reason for network storage--but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.)

In any case, I'm wondering what an enterprise user (with an uncooperative IT group) can do to include network folders in a Library without having to involve his IT group (if anything is possible without taking that step). Would you please consider writing a follow-up article to discuss this issue? Enterprise users may be the people who can get the most benefit from using Libraries, but it seems to me that they are also facing the most obstacles to doing so.
    Last edited by bethel95; 2011-03-10 at 20:56.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast