Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    The computer recycling firm where we send our out-of-date computers for recycling [logically, really!] sends all the extracted hard disk drives to a further firm which has an extremely powerful industrial shredder which reduces large quantities of hard disks to shreds [again logical].

This is considerably less trouble than spending a minimum of two hours for each drive running DBAN.
    If I was the CIO of a firm that had HDDs with secret proprietary info on them I would have a policy to do an in house erase and hammer treatment before I shipped them off to who knows who. On the lighter side where I worked they insisted on taking sledge hammers to old computers, not the HDD just the cases likely leaving the HDDs just fine.

Now a question is it old age that finally got me to like emoticons??
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Whether it's old age or something else, I hope I don't get it!

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing beats a drill regardless of technology used. Like the shotgun approach posted earlier too. lolol

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Nothing beats a drill regardless of technology used. Like the shotgun approach posted earlier too. lolol

I have used a drill on old HDD's, because it is almost impossible to take them apart to access just the discs, unless one has the special tools. My question is: how many holes must be drilled into the HDD for this method to be effective? Just a couple? Or a series of them that essentially cut across the whole radius of the disc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennym8 View Post
    I have used a drill on old HDD's, because it is almost impossible to take them apart to access just the discs, unless one has the special tools. My question is: how many holes must be drilled into the HDD for this method to be effective? Just a couple? Or a series of them that essentially cut across the whole radius of the disc?
    10000 none over lapping should do it. Unless you are a bit paranoid.

ps just buy some Torx wrenches, I used to do this when I got bored at work
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-07-07 at 14:41. Reason: ps
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennym8 View Post
    .... how many holes must be drilled into the HDD for this method to be effective? ....
    I do not consider drilling holes in an HDD effective in preventing data recovery from the platters except on the surface that gets drilled. The rest is still recoverable by industrial and government espionage. Now a single hole through a HDD may prevent a drive from working thereby preventing all but the most well equipped adversary from recovering data. But each drive would need to be tested post drilling to ensure general failure.

A single pass with zeros is sufficient.

Opening up a HDD is hardly difficult and is educational---not to mention recovery of the nifty magnet. Pretty easy to remove the PCB as well.

Thanks
    FN, are you saying that using something like DBAN or CCleaner's drive wiper is all that's necessary? And all the suggestions about destroying HDDs are well over the top?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Yes, DBAN is all you need to make the data unrecoverable on a mechanical HDD.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-07-08)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Opening up a HDD is hardly difficult and is educational---not to mention recovery of the nifty magnet. Pretty easy to remove the PCB as well.
    +1

David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    FN, are you saying that using something like DBAN or CCleaner's drive wiper is all that's necessary? And all the suggestions about destroying HDDs are well over the top?
    Read the column, plus #7, #9, #10

#4, #6, #47 in associated link

I am not suggesting I am saying.

But if you are really paranoid then drilling holes in platters accomplishes little. Destroying the surface coating of the platters removes any possibility of any recovery likely even in the future (except anything in a non-volatile cache if present). The easiest--but not so safe--way of the general consumer doing that is with pool acid.

A better way has been proposed by others including the columnist this thread is covering for comment: Encrypt the data first using a newly generated long random ASCII password that is promptly forgotten (actually impossible to remember for most), then wipe. If per chance some entity can recover any fraction of a file(s) they will then find it encrypted. Decent encryption is only broken in Hollywood scripts or after many years.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-07-08 at 15:03.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12