Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Sudo, why don't you try WSUSOffline?

It's a two step process...

1) download the updates (can be done on a different PC)
    2) install them! (can be done offline)

I clean installed W7 and had it up to date in an hour or so using this method.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    It looks like all the suggested 'fixes' for March need to be run in 'offline' mode, with WU turned off.
    Setting to Never seemed to be the clincher as I was able to install the first four and the March 2016 update client after resetting with the system image.

Decided to go straight for a manual download of 3161608 which this time progressed but again gave me that it wasn't compatible with this machine.

One strange thing though and that was when I went that route to stop wuauserv I got an Access Denied, so went via Processes - right click on the Services Host/Go to services and stopped it that way.

Anyway, set updates to auto - OK and it went straight to Checking for updates.

I left that for about half an hour with no progress then stopped it via Task Manager - rebooted and watched the CPU eventually build up to 100% again with the Memory building up to its usual 2.49GB - so nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Well, you've done March - how about the April (same routine) next?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Sudo, why don't you try WSUSOffline?

It's a two step process...

1) download the updates (can be done on a different PC)
    2) install them! (can be done offline)

I clean installed W7 and had it up to date in an hour or so using this method.
    The last time I tried to reply to your post, I got an error message to say that my reply needed to be at least 2 more characters long which continued after adding another sentence and then when I came out of it - got that do you want to leave this page pop up.

Anyway, I'll be picking up my other laptop from repair tomorrow, so will give your suggestion a go then - although I'm not sure if that has also developed an update problem.

I put the laptop in for repair on the 14th and I hadn't been offered any up until then.

I may need some instruction in how to use WSUSOffline as you've suggested.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Well, you've done March - how about the April (same routine) next?
    No.

After another Google came across a link I'd seen before where someone had resolved the CPU problem by disabling SuperFetch.

That didn't really seem to be the problem as when I went to services from the service host process, it always highlighted wuauserv and stopping that dropped everything like a stone.

However, decided to give it a go then changed update setting to Never then installed 4 of the 5 updates that Woody had listed - '612 had already been installed from the hyperlinked article.

Changed update settings to auto which invoked Check for updates and in less than 10 mins I was presented with 223 important and 6 optional.

I was monitoring the performance in Task Manager throughout and while it went up to 100% a few times, it was mostly fluctuating.

It's still doing that now with the memory at 2.95GB but at least the fan has quietened.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Got my other laptop back yesterday and found it had developed similar problems.

I repeated those steps, but found I needed to manually download KB3161608 which then had the updates presented within a few minutes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is just an observation to add to the mix. On my Win7 64 machine, Windows Update would just eat 25% cpu but I suspect the combination of a core i5 processor with an SSD drive may have helped reduce the impact.From when this issue began I have resisted the temptation to apply all patches at once and have kept to a one patch a day in some order of priority based on Susan Bradley's Patch Watch. I'm afraid my record keeping leaves a lot to be desired. However, it appears I did note in April's patch cycle that Windows Update ran at 25% load for a consistent 1h 30m after each post-patch reboot until after a specific patch had been applied.In June's Patch Watch Susan suggested applying KB3161664 before all the others and this did indeed resolve the issue for June's patch cycle. Unfortunately, based on my observations during recent months patch cycles, that *may* only have been a fix for June. Only time will tell.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did your updates include KB3161608 - if not you can manually install that which includes KB3161647 which may be the fix for July+ but MS have been sending out fixes for this on a monthly basis, so as you say, Only time will tell.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo For This Useful Post:

OTtChris (2016-06-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Did your updates include KB3161608 - if not you can manually install that which includes KB3161647 which may be the fix for July+ but MS have been sending out fixes for this on a monthly basis, so as you say, Only time will tell.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608
    Ah! Thanks! No it didn't. I've made a note of it. For research purposes I'll hold off installing it until after the July Patch list is published i.e. to see whether there still is an issue for it to fix.**UPDATE** 8th July. Changed mind and downloaded standalone KB3161608 (Windows6.1-KB3161608-x64). On running, it reported 'not compatible with your system' or words to that effect. Presumably because I have at least one of its 'component parts' already installed i.e. KB3161664. Will now wait to see it there are any cpu issues with July's patch cycle.
    Last edited by OTtChris; 2016-07-08 at 09:14.

Thanks
    Two days ago I created four Win7SP1 installation DVDs slipstreamed with KB3020369 and KB3125574 after reading New KB: Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and following the The Last Windows 7 ISO You’ll Ever Need: How to Slipstream the Convenience Rollup HowToGeek article.

Win7SP1 Home Premium x86 & x64, and Win7SP1 Professional x86 & x64.

Yesterday morning I fitted a spare HDD to my Toshiba P300 laptop and installed Win7SP1 Home Premium x64.

After Windows Setup finished and the computer was restarted I launched Windows Update, set it to "Check for updates but let me choose...", then clicked on "Check for Updates" at about 11:45AM. It was still "Checking for updates" when I went to bed about 10:00PM last night. This morning WU showed that it had finished checking for updates at 12:08AM, and listed 38 Important updates and 35 Optional updates.

I didn't install any of those updates as I wanted to try what difference KB3161608 would make, so restarted the system then installed KB3161608.

WU was "Checking for updates" for less than ten minutes then listed 37 Important updates and 33 Optional updates available.

So whenever I have done a clean install or repair-install of Win7 in future I'll make sure to install KB3161608 before running WU.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-06-26)

Thanks
    Since my #25 post above I have installed KB3161608 on three more Win7 systems: a Win7PROx64 desktop, a Win7HPx86 desktop, and a Win7HPx64 laptop.

In each case after installing KB3161608 and restarting Windows, WU took less than five minutes "Checking for updates".

The two desktop systems had both been updated with the May 2016 updates so only needed a few updates; but the laptop hadn't been updated since September 2015 yet took only about two minutes "Checking for updates" before listing 74 updates.

So it seems clear KB3161608 does fix the slow WU issue.
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OTtChris View Post
    Ah! Thanks! No it didn't. I've made a note of it. For research purposes I'll hold off installing it until after the July Patch list is published i.e. to see whether there still is an issue for it to fix.
    It was strange because I'd tried to install '608 a couple of times on the laptop that had been giving me the most trouble and each time it returned that it wasn't compatible with the machine - and yet it was included in the updates on offer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...each time it returned that it wasn't compatible with the machine...
    Exactly how did you go about downloading/installing KB3161608?

KB3161608 is version-specific; if you are running Win7SP1x86 then you need to install "Windows6.1-KB3161608-x86.msu"

If you are running Win7SP1x64 you need to install "Windows6.1-KB3161608-x64.msu".

See June 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi John - I wasn't able to install '608 on the most problematic machine because it was returning not compatible and I was downloading the correct version.

It was the March's Windows Update Client KB3138612 and KB 3161664 that got things going for me on that one, but only after I'd changed the update settings to Never... - disabled SuperFetch and stopped the Windows Update service - otherwise when manually downloading those updates, they would hang on searching this computer for updates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    KB3161608 killed my Bluetooth on both of my HP laptops. Anyone else seeing that? In my case, after installing the update, my event viewer was inundated with errors relating to Bluetooth services not starting. Bluetooth Device Monitor, Bluetooth Media Service and Bluetooth OBEX all failing. I uninstalled KB3161608 and all is good again. As of now, I'm hiding that update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12