Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't try using the short name, no. Not sure that would have helped though. Windows was reporting problems with the long name so I'm not sure I could have done an end-run around that issue with the short name.

Isn't the short name just an algorithmically generated version of the long name? Or is it a persistent meta-data attribute?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder
    Isn't the short name just an algorithmically generated version of the long name? Or is it a persistent meta-data attribute?
    Have a look at the VFAT and Computer-generated 8.3 filenames section of this Wikipedia article for more info about the convention used by Windows for generating short filenames.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, I see that I misspoke. Short file names are always generated algorithmically, what I was getting at is, are they always generated dynamically and not saved on an LFN capable volume format?

FAT volumes had extremely limited metadata capabilities, but NTFS volumes have extensive and extensible metadata structures. Storing a SFN in NTFS would be a simple matter, but I have no idea if that is a persistent file attribute.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder
    Short file names are always generated algorithmically, what I was getting at is, are they always generated dynamically and not saved on an LFN capable volume format?
    My understanding is that, by default, both LFNs and SFNs are stored on NTFS volumes, unless 8.3 filename support is switched off:

How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2017-03-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For Needle-in-a-haystack problems in general, Copernic Desktop Search provides a 30-day trial, and if that canít get it in thirty days then you have to buy it or give up. The latest version came out in January, so even if you have had it before then you can probably give that a shot, although personally, I reserve such trials for Really Big Game Hunting.

As it happens, I own the thing anyway so Iím not worried, but trialware is a neat thing to have up your sleeve for times when you might suddenly need it, and itís a contingency affair Ė it may get what you want or not, and if it does (or doesnít) you may be hooked on how useful (or otherwise) it is for your purposes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still have not deleted or renamed it, I did not say I am using Windows 10
    The file as 25 words is in a file, and is in 8 folders

Thanks
    You can boot from a linux disc, Puppy linux or Mint are both easy to learn, and delete the files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
    I still have not deleted or renamed it, I did not say I am using Windows 10
    The file as 25 words is in a file, and is in 8 folders
    Win 10 isn't relevant. Navigate to the folder where the file is located in Windows Explorer, by opening the relevant folders on the left hand pane. Open a command window as described by Bharder in post #4. Now enter dir /x and press enter. This may give you a list of short names. Look for one called clipart~1.jpg (or whatever the file type is). Try deleting that by entering del clipart~1.jpg and pressing enter.

If that doesn't work (either because there's no short names or it still won't delete), then try Bharder's suggestion in post #14. I assume he used Windows Explorer to do the move.
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Win 10 isn't relevant. Navigate to the folder where the file is located in Windows Explorer, by opening the relevant folders on the left hand pane. Open a command window as described by Bharder in post #4.
    If he isn't using W10 he will have to do a bit more work to open a command prompt in the correct folder! But it would be nice to see him try after all the advice proffered.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never done any think like that at all, I might muck some thing up, delete the wrong file Thanks any way if there is no other way I will leave it

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    If he isn't using W10 he will have to do a bit more work to open a command prompt in the correct folder!
    Shift+Right-Click on a folder for Open Command Window Here also works in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Win 10 isn't relevant.
    Actually, Windows 10 is relevant, if you are on version 1607 or newer (see the "TIP" under Maximum Path Length Limitation).

Hat tip to Retired Geek.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Shift+Right-Click on a folder for Open Command Window Here also works in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    You can probably guess I am using XP!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    You can probably guess I am using XP!

BruceR but not in Windows 10, I tried it

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Blueflame,

- Shift+Right-Click on a folder for Open Command Window - works for me in Windows 10

Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast