Star Lounger
    Thanks

Onenote 2010 Backup Issues/Questions

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question as I see other OneNote vx questions here.

The basic problem I am having with OneNote 2010 is that I have had the save option set to weekly for backups since I installed Office2010 3-4 years ago, but now its running on Monday mornings and continues into the late afternoon and hogs a lot of ram.

I have searched on the web for solutions but only see basic ideas re changing settings in the File/Options/Save & Backup area. I have also played with the settings on a daily basis since I would think it would only need to save the newest changes to the notebooks, but now its just hogging ram almost most of every day when it runs the backup.

So the main question is how to change the day of the week for the weekly backup to Saturday or Sunday since it wouldn’t interfere with my heavier use on weekdays on my Win7 desktop machine

A secondary question is that I had a link -but canot find it now - to an article about how to shrink the size of the main OneNote 2010 file by export/moving sections (e.g., monthly records of my daily notes log) into a monthly archive (which would remain closed). This seemed to have the desired effect to significantly reduce the time for the weekly backup.

One last question: I do have daily backups of my documents folder via SyncBackSE in Win7, but not the c:\ProgramData]ApplicationData. I cannot remember now why I was lead to believe there is no reason to have a backup of the “AppData” directory, but if I added that to my daily backup list that should make the use of the OneNote a non-issue right? I do realize I can change the backup location for OneNote files, but again, I seem to recall it was suggested to leave them int eh “AppData” directory.

Apologies for a long-winded note & thanks in advance for your thoughts …. TGH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Hi,

I don't know of an explicit way to set a specific day for OneNote backups. One option would be to try to "goad" OneNote too start the backup at the time of your choice, by changing the backup options, for example, setting the backup period to be greater than 1 week, say 4 weeks, and then after 2 weeks, on a Saturday, change it back to 1 week. Maybe like that, having not backed up for 2 weeks, OneNote will start the backup on that Saturday or Sunday and you will have the schedule you want. You can even start an explicit backup on that Satruday, to see if that restarts the backup cycle.

If you have your own backup schedule, OneNote backups will be less relevant. I don't really see the point of backing up the backup area in your regular schedule, if you are already scheduling the main OneNote folder backup. Keeping multiple backup copies of the regular files should be enough. I have never had the need to resort to OneNote's own backup to restore a lost notebook.

The idea of regularly consolidate daily notes into a different notebook seems a good one, to reduce the size of the daily notes notebook. It should be simple enough to do that, by moving the desired pages into the consolidated notebook. To limit the size of the consolidated notebook, you can organize the notes yearly or similar, if that size is also relevant.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2017-04-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the note, Rui ... I think I might have accidentally followed your first idea by changing the Onenote schedule back and forth from dailly to weekly over the weekend -- at least it seemed on Monday not to hog the system.

I guess more importantly, I appreciate your confirmation that my daily backups of the Documents folder via SyncbackSE & will just turn off the OneNote backups if they are still a hassle during the weekday.

And last for now -- I will look again into removing some of the main sections to reduce the file size over the weekend so might have more questions later on. Thanks again .... TGH

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Terry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a quick update FYI -- As Rui suggested, my playing around with the backup choices (e.g., changing from daily to weekly, re-starting, repeating etc), did the trick, i.e. OneNote is now backing up on Sunday vs. Monday, as desired.

Ironically I am in the process of moving over to a Win10 Pro desktop machine so will probably have to go thru this process again - but will be posting another note on questions about this transition. TGH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad that worked, Terry and thanks for the update .
    Rui
    -------
    R4