Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Which Office to buy?

After using Office since before it was actually Office (starting with Excel in the late 1980s) I switched to Open Office a few years ago. The last version of Office I bought was 2007. I've kept it around because there are a few really stupid applications (like Sage 50 accounting) that open specific programs, rather than default ones. So if I try to export my accounting data to a spreadsheet, it tries to send it to Excel even if my default spreadsheet if Open Office.
    After I "upgraded" to Windows 10, most of my Office 2007 programs stopped working, but for some reason Excel limped along. I could export to it and after clicking through a lot of error messages I would get a spreadsheet that I could then copy into Open Office. Whew!
    But the other day Windows went through some huge update and now Excel doesn't work anymore, either.
    Naturally, I am in the middle of some important business transactions which require me to export to spreadsheets and it doesn't work. So I guess I need to buy a newer version of Office.
    I do not want a subscription! Office 2007 worked for over nine years. Think how much money I would have wasted if I'd been paying that on subscription. I just want a disk that I can install and use for as long as it keeps working. If it goes another 9 years, I may be dead or long since retired. What I need most is Excel. I have no need for Outlook or Powerpoint. I suppose I might use Word once in a while. I have quite a few Publisher files that I can't open, but most of them are obsolete, so maybe that isn't important. Geez, it looks like I might just need Excel...
    Is it possible to buy Excel by itself, on disk, just to own and use with no subscriptions or other corporate welfare? If so, where? The Google searches I've run turn up an amazingly complex web of confusion, but nothing obvious.
    Thanks,
    --Brian

Thanks
    Well that was sure long and drawn out. Let me summarize it:

Is it possible to buy Excel 2016 on a disk with no subscription requirement or other restrictions?
    If so, can anyone recommend an economical source?

Thank you!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 1,228 Posts
    You can buy Excel from Microsoft's online store: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ctID.323021400

I think the download option should be safe enough, since you should be able to redownload it when needed: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...eDownloadsPage
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Have you tried using Office online? Go to www.office.com, scroll down to the "get started working online for free" section.
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,444 Posts
    BackSpacer,

If you don't need the latest and greatest you can get Office 2010 Pro for $28.00! My brother bought 2 of these last month and they worked flawlessly. Of course as always YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2017-04-18),Lugh (2017-04-23),mrjimphelps (2017-04-18),toextra (2017-04-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, RG. What a deal!

Dick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I'm even tempted to go there just so I can keep up with all the Office questions.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'd go with RGs post of Office 2010 for $28. At that low of a price, and the fact that you are accustomed to Office 2007, in my opinion this is a no-brainer. 2010 is a lot like 2007. The menus are a bit different (not a lot different), but under the hood it's very similar to 2007. In fact, I've always thought of 2010 as basically a "clean up" of the menus of 2007, rather than a big change from 2007. However, when you get past 2010 and go to 2013 or 2016, there are a lot more differences.

2010 still has a few years of support left, so I think it's definitely a good choice for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    If you don't need the latest and greatest you can get Office 2010 Pro for $28.00!
    I don't know if I need the latest or not. Every program in Office 2007 stopped working after I upgraded from Win7 to 10, except for Excel - and that had a lot of problems. Will Office 2010 work with Win10? And if so, I know that nobody can predict for how long.

Oh, I just saw the comment from mrjimphelps. If 2010 still has a few years of support left. I'm sure it will work fine for my purposes for quite a while. I generally only keep it around for those other apps that don't know how to call default programs and insist on opening specific ones. Usually Excel.

So I'll give this a try. Thanks for the link, RetiredGeek!

--Brian

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Brian,

It's working well on my Main desktop (W10 Pro Creators) and Laptop (W10 Home Creators) and as I said it's working on both of my brother's machines (W10 Home Anniversary).

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Extended support for MS Office 2010 ends 10/13/2020, if you have service pack 2 installed.

Extended support for MS Office 2007 with service pack 3 installed ends 10/10/2017 (this year).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-wi...ows-or-office/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Extended support for MS Office 2007 with service pack 3 installed ends 10/10/2017 (this year).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-wi...ows-or-office/
    So they are still supporting 2007, even though it doesn't work with Windows 10? That's disconcerting. Or maybe I don't have service pack 3. I've always kept it up-to-date when I knew it needed something, but maybe I missed that. How would I know, since none of them will start up?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    (W10 Pro Creators) ... (W10 Home Creators) ... (W10 Home Anniversary)
    Again, how do you know what you've got? My computer properties says I have Windows 10 Pro, but I'm sure I saw something about "creators" when I accepted that massive update, recently.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    So they are still supporting 2007, even though it doesn't work with Windows 10? That's disconcerting. Or maybe I don't have service pack 3. I've always kept it up-to-date when I knew it needed something, but maybe I missed that. How would I know, since none of them will start up?
    Per Microsoft: "Office 2007 (Version 12) is no longer part of mainstream support and hasn't been tested on Windows 10. However, Office 2007 will install and run on Windows 10."

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...4-54f7d7275705

I suspect that there is some issue with your install of Windows that is causing your issues with Office 2007. If you have the Office 2007 install media (and install key), I suggest that you uninstall it, reboot, and reinstall it. That generally clears things up.

The fact that you did an upgrade to Windows 10, rather than a clean install, means that Office 2007 was brought along automatically with it. Uninstalling and reinstalling Office should fix things.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-04-18 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Per Microsoft: "Office 2007 (Version 12) is no longer part of mainstream support and hasn't been tested on Windows 10. However, Office 2007 will install and run on Windows 10."

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...4-54f7d7275705

I suspect that there is some issue with your install of Windows that is causing your issues with Office 2007. If you have the Office 2007 install media (and install key), I suggest that you uninstall it, reboot, and reinstall it. That generally clears things up.

The fact that you did an upgrade to Windows 10, rather than a clean install, means that Office 2007 was brought along automatically with it. Uninstalling and reinstalling Office should fix things.
    So now I have absolute proof that miracles do occur: I actually found the original install disk for Office 2007. Not a pirated one or one from a different installation, but this actual one. (The drive it was on has since been updated to SSD, migrated to new hardware, and had Windows 10 upgraded onto it, but it's the same installation.)

I plugged it in and decided to try the repair choice before anything else. Who knows, maybe it will be easy. Nope. I get the same error as I get when I try to start an Office 2007 program:
    Capture.PNG
    That got me thinking: why were those old programs trying to install a component when I was just trying to start them up? Then I recall that the Windows10 upgrade came with a Get Office app. I bet that has weasled its way into my setup and is messing with me. I tried uninstalling it, but get the same error. Makes me wonder if I'll be able to install anything.

I'll do the full uninstall and reboot, but I bet I'm just out of luck with Office. I don't have unlimited time to spend trying to make it work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast