Lounger
    Thanks

How to get to my restore points nowadays?

I moved from win 7 to win 10 home 64 bit, did a web search to find a MS post to: right click for control panel, well I don't have that listed??

Version 1703, sorry!!
    Last edited by moonuser; 2017-05-04 at 10:38. Reason: add text
    " Even a broken clock is right twice a day. "

Thanks
    You don't say what version you are on so when you right click the start button, do you have a "System" listed? If so, click on that and when the window appears, look to the links on the left side of the page and one of them should be System Protection ( or something like that ), it will open system restore.
    HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

moonuser (2017-05-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    It did have system, but not system protection ??

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, your right, I just needed to do a little more exploring there;

start button to system, then system info, then system protection for the restore :-)

They made it a little more difficult didn't they.

Thanks
    To answer your specific question about how to get to your restore points, in the Cortana search box, type rstrui. When rstrui (with Run command underneath) appears, click on it.

rstrui.png

This will open the System Restore dialog to display available restore points.

However, bear in mind that this will not be successful at first because, for some inexplicable reason, the default for Win 10 is to have System Protection disabled. (!?) As a result you'll need to turn System Protection back on again before restore points can be created either automatically or manually.

You can turn System Protection back on again a number of ways:

(a) Via Start > Run (All versions of Win 10)
    1. Right-click on the Start button and choose Run from the Power menu.
    2. In the Run input box, copy/paste/enter control /name Microsoft.System. This will take you directly to the System dialog.

(b) Via Start > System (Windows 10 version 1607 or earlier)
    1. Right-click on the Start button and choose Control Panel from the Power menu.
    2. In Control Panel, choose System.

(c) Via Cortana (All versions of Win 10)
    1. In the Cortana search box, type control. When Control Panel appears in the search results, click on it.
    2. In Control Panel, choose System.

3. Once in the System dialog, choose System Protection in the left-hand pane.
    4. In the System Properties dialog that appears, click on the Configure button.
    5. In the Restore Settings area of the next dialog, ensure the Turn on system protection option is selected.
    6. In the Disk Space Usage area, move the slider to an appropriate amount of storage space to reserve for restore points then click on the Apply and OK buttons to dismiss the dialog.
    7. Back at the System Properties dialog, click on the OK button to dismiss the dialog.

System Protection, i.e. the saving of System Restore Points is now set.

If you know how much storage space you want to allocate to System Restore Points then another method is:

1. Right-click on the Start button
    2a. If Windows PowerShell (Admin) is present, select it then click on the Yes button to dismiss the User Account Control dialog.
    2b. If Command Prompt (Admin), select it then click on the Yes button to dismiss the User Account Control dialog. When the command-line prompt appears, type powershell and press the Return (or Enter) key.
    3. At the PS prompt, copy/paste/enter Enable-ComputerRestore -drive "C:\" .
    4. At the PS prompt, copy/paste/enter vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=10% (or whatever percentage of size you want to reserve, e.g. you can use /maxsize=15GB).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2017-05-04 at 11:46.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm a bit late to this as you've marked it solved but to access System protection I open Windows Explorer, right click on This PC and select Properties where you will see it in the top left pane, but Rick is right - you have to ensure it is on.

To have easy access to Control Panel, go Start - type control panel - right click on it and select Pin to taskbar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2017-05-04)