Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Office 2010 on New Windows10-Pro Desktop

I have read that Office 2010 should work on my new Win10-Pro machine which is still in the shipping box, but have also seen some web info that points to problems getting it installed from the original dvds, and then updated appropriately. I did a search of the forum so hope I am not missing any obvious posts on this topic.

I also saw that it was recommended to to download a service pack file to facilitate the update process for Office 2010 (e.g.,Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 64-Bit Edition at https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down....aspx?id=39647), but again I am not sure that is the way to go, especially since my current installation on my Win7 machine is for the 32 bit version of Office 2010.

A primary concern after getting the Win 10 Home machine upgraded to Win10-Pro, is to get Outlook setup to handle my daily email requirements. Can anyone point me to any good articles on what to look for and how to prepare for this process? Or of course all thoughts and ideas will be welcome. TGH

Thanks
    I have always heard that Office 32-bit is the way to go, that Microsoft themselves recommend the 32-bit version over the 64-bit version.

I've had Office 2010 on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.1, but never on Windows 10. I have always had the 32-bit version, and I've never noticed any problems.

Basically, if you have a 64-bit version of Windows, then 64-bit software should work better than 32-bit software; but you can run either type of software with a 64-bit version of Windows -- theoretically, the 32-bit software will run slower, but it shouldn't have any problems other than that.

On the other hand, if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, you should always run 32-bit software. 64-bit software might work, but it will not run well.

In the case of Microsoft Office, there have apparently been some issues with 64-bit Office; and I haven't heard that they have resolved them. That's why Microsoft has recommended that you go with 32-bit Office.

Thanks
    Per Microsoft, Office 2010 will work with Windows 10.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MrJMP-- Thanks for the reminder re 32bit being "better" for Office 2010 installs -- at least that was the case for Win7, and will probably go that route for the new Win10 Pro machine.

And after your note and reading some other articles, I will try not to over-think the Office2010 install and let Win10 handle what updates my Office 2010 dvd files need from when I bought it back in 2012 or thereabouts.

Thanks
    I think overthinking these things causes way too much stress for a lot of people.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryGH View Post
    A primary concern after getting the Win 10 Home machine upgraded to Win10-Pro, is to get Outlook setup to handle my daily email requirements. Can anyone point me to any good articles on what to look for and how to prepare for this process? Or of course all thoughts and ideas will be welcome. TGH
    Slipstick has been around for a million years and it specializes in Outlook from its simplest to its most complex, and from ancient times to the present. I suggest you pay that site a visit.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2017-05-05 at 21:01. Reason: Corrected hyperlink

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quick update: as JMP suggested the install went perfectly smooth and so far the updates for the Office 2010 files seems to be occurring on Win10pro when I first opened files in Excel,Word etc. And even initially the Outlook setup went smoothly until I realized it was setup as IMAP vs POP3 which I have always used. Web search shows alot of other folks having the same problem and the fix is a fit convoluted but will leave it alone for now and tend to later.
    And thanks for the Slipstick link, Dogberry -- lots of Outlook info there for sure.