3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Violation at 0x0F13B830

I use a ten-year-old Sudoku program from Pappocom, the installer dated 10-Mar-08.

It has worked on all my systems, Win XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 10, until a week ago. Perhaps something happened with this month's Patch Tuesday.

Now it won't load, and returns this error message:

Error: Access violation at 0x0F13B830 (tried to read from 0x0000000), program terminated

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have tried to repair it. Repair does work, only if I load Sudoku from the end of the repair/install process. If I don't, I get the same message (above).

What can have gone wrong? What can I do to allow the Sudoku program to run, if anything? It's a great little Sudoku program, and I'd be sorry to lose it.
    Last edited by JohnFleming; 2018-03-25 at 07:54. Reason: Screenshot could not be uploaded

Thanks
    Its not supported in W10 so the last update probably killed it off. There are plenty of others to try.

http://download.cnet.com/s/free-sodoku/

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

JohnFleming (2018-03-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Having been messing with sudoku recently (testing code to solve them, I haven't the patience), I thought I'd try installing (on W10 16299.309) and when the installer said it wanted to update my MDAC to v 2.8, I paused - looking up what this was, and whether I wanted to allow it (no, because v6.3.9600.16384 is already installed), I ended up going down a rabbit-hole of unpacking the install .exe using 7zip, then simply copying the program (rather than installer) files across to my PC. I lost track of what your problem was, and thought I was overdoming an install issue! I got it working this awkward way, but some bits didn't (library), and in the end I had no trouble running the full installer on my PC. It runs without problems. I will let you know if I get any errors of the sort you are experiencing, but either its your particular W10 (and mine has not yet had the updates that wreck it), or its a separate problem on your PC. Unfortunately, as the author has discontinued development, and is now giving it away, he is unlikely to help. Sorry for the long para (now longer), the reply system seems bust.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-03-28 at 09:55.

Thanks
    I also spotted this (posted elsewhere) from someone who apparently got an old version to run on Win10.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-33c97ddb9be1
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio