New Lounger
    Thanks

Customize Recent Places folder

Hi folks,I'm a service provider with ~100 different clients, each of them with multiple projects, so I'm constantly using the Recent Places folder to go back to something I worked on a few hours/days ago.Until a few months ago, in all my applications (Word, Acrobat, etc) my Recent Places folder always opened in List view and sorted by Date Modified so the most recent items were at the top. I think our IT rolled out an update because the folder will no longer stay that way--every time I exit an app and return the Recent Places defaults back to sorting by Name.Is there a way to get this to stick? I tried customizing the folder using instructions found here (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1669...der-templates/) from a recent thread on this forum but Recent Places doesn't have a Customize tab. I also went to the folder itself and changed its settings but they didn't cascade to the folder when viewed in my applications.Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.Beej

Thanks
    This link (2 pages) may help you out with a solution:

How to set default sort order in Recent Places

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-f84f28c1c6bd

3. The Following User Says Thank You to -Moonshine- For This Useful Post:

Beej@impact (2018-04-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried all the suggestions on that Microsoft page and none worked. I think this is something MS broke in an update and our only hope is that they fix it in another one (which will probably break something else I use, lather rinse & repeat).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Which version of Windows are you running?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 (aka the last good one)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,039 Posts
    After you changed the folder in File Explorer did you re-boot or at least close and re-open the applications?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No reboot yet but yes, I exited the applications and restarted. I'll reboot in a little bit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In my case, Windows 10. I hope for successful customization

Thanks
    I suggest you have a look at a small, free (and portable) utility specifically written to do MRU file recording - Nir Sofer's RecentFilesView (which works with all versions of Windows from Win 2000 to Win 10).

From the sound of it you just want to leave it sorting on Modified Time (i.e. the last time you worked on something)... but the choice is up to you.

Quick tip: Right-click on the RecentFilesView.exe file and choose Run as administrator from the context menu... you see more info about remote files that way.

Hope this helps...