Drew1903

Question Stubborn message drafts won't go away

I know someone w/ Office365. They have a couple of items in their Drafts folder that will not go away. Delete or move them & w/in a few seconds they return. They uninstalled & re-installed Office... made no difference. Comments, ideas?

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,091 Posts
    If they were composing a reply in the reading pane they need to discard the reply there.

Joe

Drew1903
    I'll mention this to the gentleman. Thanks for the thought, Joe.

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Drew1903
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If they were composing a reply in the reading pane they need to discard the reply there.

Joe
    Fine thought, Joe. But, I checked w/ the man & they were not composed there.

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Is he opening the draft and then discarding/deleting or just trying to delete in the draft folder?

Also, try opening Outlook in safe mode and then deleting.

If still an issue what kind of account IMAP, Exchange?

Joe

Drew1903
    Joe,

Just items in the Drafts folder.

I'll mention to him about trying in Safe Mode.

Would be POP since he is using gmail. He has been instructed to contact them. We think the items are staying on their server.

Thanks for scratching your head over this odd scenario.

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Thanks
    Would be POP since he is using gmail. He has been instructed to contact them. We think the items are staying on their server.
    Gmail can be downloaded via either POP or IMAP.
    https://support.google.com/mail/trou.../1668960?hl=en

If the folder is staying on the server, I would guess he's using IMAP

Jerry

Drew1903
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Gmail can be downloaded via either POP or IMAP.
    https://support.google.com/mail/trou.../1668960?hl=en

If the folder is staying on the server, I would guess he's using IMAP

Jerry
    Thanks for this, Joe. I was not aware that gmail could be either. And if so maybe as POP (instead) the issue wouldn't/couldn't exist.

Anyway, got it, info filed

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post

Joe
    Wow, surprised to see the date on this thread. I didn't think replying in the reading pane had been around for that long. It's a feature I find annoying but realize Microsoft and others are catering to the new chat culture.

Anyway, the solution is still relevant. I just solved my problem using your advice.

Odd thing is, I don't recall ever starting a reply in the reading pane. And in fact, the reading pane had my entire message that I composed in the separately opened reply window. I'm not sure if I was just over occupied or windows is doing something odd when I reply using the traditional method. Is it saving a draft in pane view if I still have focus on that email, or return focus to that email before finishing my email? I will try to pay more attention next time what might be causing this behaviour. Seems to have just started acting this way recently, and curiously both times when replying to the same sender.

Thanks
    I do replies all the time from the reading pane. I have Office 2016, not 365. I've never had a problem replying from the reading pane.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you mean replying by clicking the Reply within the Reading Pane, then I have been doing this since day one and have never ended up with a "Draft" file.

This Draft files are file that have NOT been sent, are you sure that you are sending at the time of composing?

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Yes, the email is in my sent box. And the exact copy of that email is showing up as a draft.

I think I may have come across what is causing this behaviour however. I believe when I start composing a message via replying inside a separate window (double click message, then click reply), and then need to check some info in an attachment that was part of the original message I am replying to, I tend to go to the review/reading pane and open the attachment (usually an excel file) from the reading pane. Doing this seems to cause a draft to stay present even after I send the message which I had replied to.

I haven't tested to see if it is something related to leaving the attachment open, or if closing the attachment before sending prevents this from happening. Again, I will try and pay more attention next time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is your Outlook set up to use a POP PST file or an IMAP OST file?

If IMAP, then I would log into that server from a browser and see if these Drafts are there?

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveA For This Useful Post:

DaveYVR (2019-03-18)