Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    What are you guys doing that I 'm not. Lol

Well I was bad last night. I used a program called 'AccessEnum' from Microsoft, Security download center. I am NOT putting a link here. The program allows you to take ownership of any C:\Windows-programs, Drivers etc, and to close any loop hole you have. Well when I restarted, oops! I forgot I downloaded 'Private-firewall' from their website and installed...it asked for a reboot, when I got to log-in, everything was normal, until I logged in...A black screen of Death... yeah, that's for playing with things you dont understand, so rebooted through task manager...that at least worked, went to safe-mode and reverted to a time that the system was ok, Yesterday. Downloaded the firewall again, and the same sequence started all over again. It was the firewall that caused the issue, uninstalled using Geek-uninstaller, cleaned up and went back to my ole' faithful 'Zone Alarm.

The reason I went to a firewall (I think Bit-defender 2015 has packed up), Since I installed ZA, all my crap has gone, except for gmail freezing and slowing down, I am a lot happier now.

Still waiting for Belarc to come back to me. Nothing yet, oh and BTW, I do have the latest Java v8 u31.

Hope you can help with the gmail thing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you drop another firewall in on top of an existing one you can get all sorts of problems, including BSODs.

While I have a gmail account, I just use it for storing invoices for things I've bought on the 'net as I use a secondary ISP email for the initial sales contact and if I changed ISPs, I could lose that info.

Found a gmail trouble shooter that could help - try the different problems and clicking on No will take you onto other steps, although I don't know how successful it will be for you.

https://support.google.com/mail/trou.../2753861?hl=en

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-02-22)

Thanks
    When switching AV or firewalls, you must ensure all traces of the previous version are uninstalled before installing the replacement, ZA and Symantec/Norton being 2 of the worst culprits for leaving BSOD -inducing dregs behind. Here's one uninstaller list.

To check for errant drivers/filters loaded with Windows, use DriverView, set it to Hide Windows drivers to make things easier and then study the remaining loaded drivers for any that shouldn't still be installed.

Some generic (just substitute Privatefirewall for the name of the security software you're having trouble with) advice given by PWI regarding 'bad' security software installs and how you might overcome them:
    Another approach that may help:
    1) Uninstall Privatefirewall (if it was installed on any level),
    2) Review the system (program files, registry) for any remnants from previously installed HIPS or firewall products. If found, remove.
    3) Temporarily uninstall whatever Antivirus software will be used on the system.
    4) Reboot the system.
    5) Reinstall Privatefirewall. If the install is successful and Privatefirewall appears to be funtioning as expected, add back the anti-virus software.

And another option to try (if you had successfully installed the current or older version of Privatefirewall previously):
    1) Uninstall Privatefirewall and reboot the system.
    2) Install the Privatefirewall build previously successfully installed and reboot the system.
    3) Install the new version of Privatefirewall (without uninstalling the previous build) using the Windows Installer "upgrade" mode (just double-click the Privatefirewall executable.
    Sometimes Windows own firewall will block programs even when it appears to be inactive/turned off. If you have a program that won't connect and you are using a 3rd party firewall/suite, enable Windows' firewall, reboot and test the software again - if the built-in firewall was blocking, it will pop-up a message asking if you want to allow the software. Once allowed, you can disable Windows' firewall once more.

Bugs with software generally: check for 'uninstalled' remnants loading with the affected software using Process Explorer to check exactly what is loading - you may even find it's some MS software that you uninstalled months before that's still loading a .dll where it's not needed nor controllable (because there's nothing else left of the software to control it with).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-02-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I can at last say that the all the advice I have been given on this post is well appreciated, and has worked with a few hiccups here and there, but I am a novice so that would happen.

However, I need to confess, that I am a download junky, and its probably all the crap I have been downloading that assisted in me having these problems, so I am going to give downloading crap up for lent, see if I can crush the habit in 40 days.

Anyway, I do not have anymore problems 'excepting bit-defender', but that I am sorting out with them, so I can happily say that my problem/s have been resolved.

Thanks guys especially sudo15 for all the help.

Who know where I would be without the help

Avamy

PS: my last download was 'Fast Duplicate File Finder', and it works very well. I gained 3.8 gigs on my c:\ and a wopping 63gig on my D:\. So I am a happy Chappy!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you close a post to say its now resolved?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad to have been of help where I could.

You use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark Thread as Solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12