Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know why but the older IBM PS/2's were the Microchannel architecture computers. I had one at work too. It was a big heavy 12 MHz, DOS only computer, and the company probably paid a small fortune for it.

The newer PS/1 that I have is standard IDE, 486 25MHz processor, and originally came with both a 3 1/2" and a 5 1/4" floppy drives. I put a CD Rom drive in place of the 5 1/4" FD. You are right, I paid $1800.00 for that original computer new at that time. I still have the original "clicky" keyboard that came with too. I don't like the click so it doesn't get used much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I still have the original "clicky" keyboard that came with too. I don't like the click so it doesn't get used much.
    The IBM click keyboard is all I use, if I have a choice. For years I did helpdesk work. I had an IBM click keyboard. The sound drove my coworkers nuts, but my customers could hear that I was typing something. And I can type a lot faster and more accurately on an IBM click keyboard than on the "toys-r-us" keyboards that all computers have these days.

Thanks
    And here is one from the '80's...
    Tandy_PC.JPG
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good Lord! Even I have never seen a price that high but I wasn't buying computers in the 80's. That too is a lot of money for what you got. But we generally didn't know better, that was "state of the art" back then. I noticed if you look real close that "monitor and mouse not included". Wow.

The IBM click keyboard was noisy, but was easier to use. I didn't mind the noise at first, then the more quiet keyboards came out. I had a Dell keyboard that was clicky later on at work - everyone knew I was working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    And here is one from the '80's...
    Tandy_PC.JPG
    300-baud modem not included!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    300-baud modem not included!
    No HDD either!
    Head slap
    You could had an Atari 1040ST
    4 years earlier for a grand.

450px-Atari_1040STf.jpg

My first to own!

My first to work with and make money.

330px-Wang2200.png

What we upgraded to after I realized the Wang techs could not repair their old machines. The first day is was down they sent a tech would had not a clue. The second time they sent 3 people (maybe a supervisor in there, just to slow up the process I guess) with no success. My boss, a very bright guy named Theodore, finally figured out it was a bad capstan belt on the cassette!
    420px-Commodore-128.png

Ah the good old days..

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    My first computer was an Atari 1040ST!

Thanks
    What a coincidence and another, look at our join dates!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    JFWIW......
    Windows 8.1/32bit, has the ability to run/Play old 16 bit programs, but not the 64 bit version.
    Even Windows 10 Pro/32 can do it.
    To me, the only saving grace for Windows 10 is it's backward compatibility.
    Other than that, it's pretty lame for the average home PC user.

I hate it when a hobby turns into a profession! The Commodore 64 that I got in ~1980 morphed into a very active C-64/C-1541 business that lasted for ten years. I even re-wrote the OS and burned my own Kernel ROM chips and sold them all across the Mid-West. Back in the hayday of the C-64, a complete system with disk drive, cost over $1500. Yikes!

Only the need to run DBASE III prompted me to build my first IBM XT Clone. That too launched me into the PC Repair business. Dang it, I can't seem to get a bobby without it turning into a business.
    That was then (1983) and I'm still in the PC Repair business today. I'd love to give it up, but when I think I'll do that, someone calls me crying for HELP! So much for good intentions! lol

It's been a wild ride! I now have 11 running computers in my home. Every time someone gives me a dead PC, I have this feeling that I MUST fix it!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    JFWIW......
    Windows 8.1/32bit, has the ability to run/Play old 16 bit programs, but not the 64 bit version.
    Even Windows 10 Pro/32 can do it.
    To me, the only saving grace for Windows 10 is it's backward compatibility.
    Other than that, it's pretty lame for the average home PC user.

I hate it when a hobby turns into a profession! The Commodore 64 that I got in ~1980 morphed into a very active C-64/C-1541 business that lasted for ten years. I even re-wrote the OS and burned my own Kernel ROM chips and sold them all across the Mid-West. Back in the hayday of the C-64, a complete system with disk drive, cost over $1500. Yikes!

Only the need to run DBASE III prompted me to build my first IBM XT Clone. That too launched me into the PC Repair business. Dang it, I can't seem to get a bobby without it turning into a business.
    That was then (1983) and I'm still in the PC Repair business today. I'd love to give it up, but when I think I'll do that, someone calls me crying for HELP! So much for good intentions! lol

It's been a wild ride! I now have 11 running computers in my home. Every time someone gives me a dead PC, I have this feeling that I MUST fix it!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    I can relate, but I have learned how to say "No" now.
    As you are the "Dr." please tell... what does the Future hold?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12