Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, I finally deleted the Quick Notes notebook and let the "New Quick Note" shortcut create a new one (it actually just re-linked me to the one I thought I deleted). Part of the problem would seem to be that OneNote wants to be a cloud-centric program but still stores copies of the notebooks locally. And, really, regardless of where you tell it to put default notebooks, it's still going to create no end of stuff. I'm finding bits and pieces of this version along with the 2013 version I had previously in half a dozen places (there's a whole other bitch session in that). And it does NOT clean up after itself if you uninstall.

I'm finding that the sync process has got some of the same issues that OneDrive has - once it has something, it's tough to get rid of it. It's looking as if the only way to fix some of these issues is to go to OneNotes online and get rid of stuff there, which should (in theory) trickle those changes down to my computer(s). This could help explain why it kept/keeps trying to resurrect deleted notebooks.

It's behavior would seem to indicate that Microsoft grafted the desktop version onto the cloud version and it's a problematic fit at best. I would think that the simple solution would have been to just move the desktop version files to OneDrive rather than trying to interface it directly to the internet. But it's clear that this version is not going to let you create any local .ONE files - all your notebooks have to go onto the net.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-01-27 at 10:45.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

VIP Emeritus
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 1,228 Posts
    There is no point in arguing, but I don't find anything grafted. I have been using OneNote since 2005 and have yet to have any issues like yours. This really means I went from locally based notebooks to cloud based ones, always without issues and quirks, regarding cloud vs. local.

I also think it makes complete sense to have local backups of your notebooks. It wouldn't be funny to open my laptop on the train going to work and finding out the notebook is not available because there is no internet connection or, if there is one, it's too slow to get things efficiently enough to be productive.

I still have a few local Notebooks, but courtesy of GoodSync, I know local notebooks will be phased out gradually, due to my need to access all my notebooks from my desktop and my laptop and, when convenient, from my Windows Phone.

Of course, having a paid version that always supported local and cloud based notebooks may have helped with this. Sometimes what you pay for an app is money, sometimes is time and headaches. For software that I really need, I prefer to pay with money. It is also a bit of a coherence thing, since I make my living out of software development, so I find it natural to pay for software that does what it is supposed to do and does it well - I really think OneNote is one of the smartest and most useful pieces of software I ever used.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, it's precisely because you have been using OneNote for as long as you have that you are not seeing the kind of issues I am seeing. You have gradually transitioned to it using the full version all along the way. I'm trying to get into this using the free version that Microsoft wants me to have. I mean that literally.

My Win10 Surface Pro comes with a OneNote app that, while limited, is perfectly functional. And Microsoft has made a full version available FREE (first 2013 now 2016) for people who want more functionality. But there's a condition - you have to use OneDrive. You can't use it with DropBox or Amazon, you have to use OneDrive.

Here's what you probably don't see. I can go to options and specify where I want my default notebook location to be, but that's for local notebooks, which I can't create. And if I want to create a new notebook, it gives me the option of putting it on my PC, but it won't let me do that if I try, I can only created it on OneDrive. And since I can only create a new notebook on OneDrive, I can't create a new notebook unless I am connected to the internet.

IOW, this is free but it's a form of crippleware - it's the shipping version with some features incapacitated. And since OneNote is not sold as a standalone, I can either pay for a subscription for Office 365 or purchase a full version of Office 2016 (until they discontinue that as well). This is just another part of the strategy to get people used to cloud based software-as-a-service. This isn't some conspiracy theory. Microsoft has been saying for years that their goal is to move everything to an internet dependent subscription service. That includes the Windows OS itself.

http://www.computerdealernews.com/ne...-service/41709
    https://www.microsoft.com/industry/g...ng/4-SaaS.aspx

P.S. If you have Office 2016, see if you can still create local OneNote notebooks. I'm seeing that you can't do that anymore on the Mac version.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-01-27 at 12:07.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

VIP Emeritus
    Thanks
    Graham,

Yeah, I have probably been spared some of that pain. I think I can understand you - I hate trial versions with crippled features and will never, ever try one, if I know beforehand that it is a crippled version. I find it deceitful.

To be honest, I find rather strange that you didn't get a full feature, free, OneNote version. My first tabletPC, a Toshiba Tecra M4, came with a free OneNote version, which got me hooked, back then. A Surface is the natural platform for OneNote, with its support for handwritten input, so you should get a full Office free with it, tbh. I actually got an Office 365 Standard subscription with my Lumia 640 - I have since upgraded it to Office 365 Home and that was good, as I got half year remaining Standard subscription changed into half year of Home.

OneNote 2016 allows local notebook creation without issues. In that respect, works as any other previous version.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    What's been happening with OneNote is a microcosm of what MS has been doing. They offer things then they change the rules. I got the Surface and immediately upgraded it to 10 and started looking at the OneNote app that came with it, that's when the trouble started.

I've been at this a very, very long time and my interweb search-fu is pretty good, but it took me nearly a day to figure out that what ships with Win10 is a Metro/Modern app version that is very different. That is or was hard to find out because nothing differentiated between that and the full Office version.

BTW, the pen support in the modern app was a bit of a letdown. What it lets you do is write (draw) on the sheet. There is a way to turn that into type after the fact but you need the full version.

Then I discovered that MS was offering a Office 2013 version free so I gave that a try and found that it was still tied to the cloud, but it at least could be used offline. But again that was very tough to sort out because I could find nothing that actually stated that there was a difference between the free version and the paid Office version. Now, MS has replaced the free 2013 version with the 2016 version.

MS is only going to allow you to get the current version, and from what I can see, it's going to update automatically - no choice. Another step in the software-as-a-service ladder.

Oh, BTW, with the 2016 version you can no longer change the surface pen top button to open it - it opens the modern app period.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-01-27 at 15:20.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

VIP Emeritus
    Thanks
    I don't know the OneNote Universal app in Windows 10, but I never felt attracted by the Windows 8.x version - it simply is no match for the regular version I used and use everyday.

I used handwriting for my classes and to grade and provide feedback on students' work, allowing them to have my own notes about their work and allowing me to keep the very same notes in a digital format, so that I could have an evolutionary view of their semester long projects. As such, I really didn't care about conversion to actual text (which was not available for Portuguese, anyway). Although I no longer teach, I still have all my class notes and all my graded student projects, with my own handwriting. The tabletPC and OneNote together provided me with an amazing teaching tool.

I use less handwritten notes now, but still love the concept - I actually have a regular laptop now, the first in 10 years.

I agree with you on another aspect - info on the difference between OneNote versions is almost non existing. That's quite bad.

About the cloud, I guess it is already here and it will be here more and more, despite the resistance from some users. I think Microsoft is just trying to maintain relevance (and its bottom line) in a changing environment. The path may not always seem logical and there are occasional direction reversals, but the path is clear and, I think, non stoppable. I think OneNote has been, right from the start, one of the apps that allows cloud integration in an easy, natural way. There are things that I would change (definitely allowing copies of OneNote notebooks from OneDrive to local computers would be a nice thing to have), but I think the full OneNote version does it quite well.
    As a cloud app, it's excellent to allow cooperative work with other people, when that is needed. I also use it for that purpose quite regularly.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I agree with you on another aspect - info on the difference between OneNote versions is almost non existing. That's quite bad.
    Rui, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm normally not a ranter, in fact I'm often on the other side of the rants, but Microsoft has been playing some very dangerous games for the past couple years and has made more than their fair share of serious mistakes. And the lack of clear information along with (what appears to be) some intentional mis-direction has made it very difficult for me to warm up to some things.

I've wanted to like OneNote since Office 2010 but it's always seemed like a solution in search of a problem to me. I've spent some time looking online for projects to get a better idea as to what it can be used for and most of them just seem to be using it as a giant bulletin boards with index cards pinned up randomly.

In around 1989, I created a database using DataEase DOS for a project I had been assigned while working at a Defense Department office in DC (it was my last Army tour of duty before retirement). It was basically a note taking app that I used to keep a synopsis of phone calls and letters sent. I kind of hoped OneNote could be more like that.

Anyhow, the reason I started this thread is that Microsoft has really blurred the lines between the versions of OneNote. They really do need to come up with some kind of naming practice that will allow for a distinction between the four(?) different versions of the product.
    OneNote Light - Metro/Modern/Universal all
    OneNote Medium - 365 version with local storage features crippled
    OneNote 365 - full cloud based version with local storage options
    OneNote Desktop - full standalone version
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

VIP Emeritus
    Thanks
    Graham,

I think the degree of confusion is visible in all those "versions". Microsoft was never good with communication, I guess that can be established as an indisputable fact.
    What is your OneNote 365? The web based version?

P.S.: FWIW, I don't see you as a ranter. I think your opinion is based on hard won experience .

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently have the free 2016 version (actually thought I was installing 2013) plus I have the Windows 10 OneNote (Metro/Modern/Windows Store/Universal/EIEIO) app which is very different.

I'm also going to look at the iPad and Andriod versions out of curiosity and because I'm a sucker for punishment.

One of these days, I have to stop exploring new software and find something to do that doesn't involve beating my head against the wall. Harder habit to break than eating.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still running OneNote 2010, which works fine for me. Of course, I have no OneDrive synchronization option, but for this I use Evernote. After what I read here, trying to upgrade OneNote 2010 is not a great idea

VIP Emeritus
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagrm View Post
    I am still running OneNote 2010, which works fine for me. Of course, I have no OneDrive synchronization option, but for this I use Evernote. After what I read here, trying to upgrade OneNote 2010 is not a great idea
    The synchronization option only makes sense when the notebooks are not stored locally. That is also possible with OneNote 2010, if you use OneDrive as the storage location, if memory does not fail me.

I have used all OneNote versions since it was released. OneNote 2013 and 2016 work fine. You should not disregard the fact that the issues mentioned here are for FREE OneNote versions, not paid ones.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm finding that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with any version of OneNote. But there are so many different versions and variations within versions that it becomes confusing really fast. And tech articles, even those from Microsoft, can completely fail to deal with that.

What's worse is that there are some really big differences between the versions. It's like going to the grocery store and finding that there are all these cans of food that only say vegetables or fruit or soup - you have to open them to find out what's actually in the can.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12