Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchJohn View Post
    What happens in the WSL to AW transiton, should the new post be encouraged to be on AW, or do we just have it on WSL, a three-year old hijacked thread?
    The plan is that all WSL threads will be transferred into AW, all the way back to the beginning of WSL. AW already has a bunch of empty forums waiting.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    A very interesting thread, considerable passion shown!
    As Rick & Paul noted, there are many people who think Libre/Open Offices are as good as, or compatible with, MS Office.

For serious work—which I do, my business relies in part on Word, Excel & Access features—the free Offices don't come anywhere close to what MSO has.

Paul & Rick already tackled the compatibility issues. Bane of my life, people we deal with who put our MSO files thru Open/Libre & send them back. I've found it most efficient to 'nuke' them & rebuild from scratch, rather than spending days sometimes without finding the source of the incompatibilities. The good news is MSO has the tools to enable mostly automatic nuking & rebuilding, which also takes care of artifacts introduced by different OSs, WPs, etc. If I could write VBA code, it would be fully automatic.

Anytime someone complains about Word, I tell them to try Wordpad—everyone forgets about that little gem included with Windows, which I guess will meet the WP needs of at least 90% of users. If they want a simpler Office just for their own use, I suggest Microsoft Works 9, which was/is a nice easy little suite & is still available on eBay for ~$25—MS sort of abandoned Works though, so check file compatibilities & converters if you might ever wish to move your stuff, especially DB.

Nothing wrong with Open or Libre in themselves, especially for solely personal use or for easy work within a closed group. Just don't claim they're of MSO's calibre, they're not. Google's Docs [whatever it's called today] is another decent alternative, especially for collaboration on fairly simple files—seemed much easier to get started with than Open/Libre when I tested ~a decade ago.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 850 Posts
    A very interesting thread, considerable passion shown!

I didn't think that I had seen the original post, and discovered it was over three years old!

What happens in the WSL to AW transiton, should the new post be encouraged to be on AW, or do we just have it on WSL, a three-year old hijacked thread?

WSL mods?
    Personally I regret such a zombie thread was allowed to arise from its grave instead of being locked for further comment.

However, as it has arisen and people are adding posts to it then I guess it would be unfair to just close it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12