Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCLinuxOS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith9e View Post
    Which anti-virus / malware program do you use? I just installed Clamav but it apparently is used to scan a file or a directory as per user input. I'm one of those spoiled Windows users that is used to everything being automated... I would like to try Sophos, but I would have to install it manually, and I'm not familiar with all steps that that would entail. I guess I could learn.

UPDATE: I have discovered that since PCLinux is a derivative of Mandriva, and is now a distro unto itself, I am strongly advised not to install packages for this particular distro, and instead to wait until they appear in the software repositories. Clamav is mediocre anti-virus, but it's take it or leave it, and hope for the best. I'm not worried. This is my secondary computer anyway.
    I use Sophos. I chose it over ClamAV, because Sophos is highly rated, whereas ClamAV is poorly rated.

Here is some helpful info about how to install and configure Sophos for Linux:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/mediali...vl_9_sgeng.pdf
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/mediali...vl_9_cgeng.pdf

You will need to do the install via Terminal. But it isn't hard. One thing I learned is that I had to put "sudo" in front of the commands I typed, so as to not have problems with file permission.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

keith9e (2016-09-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! That's what I like -- instructions!
    Last edited by keith9e; 2016-09-11 at 18:21. Reason: Got mixed up and replied to wrong comment...

Lounger
    Thanks
    I already have it installed. Works good. Good suggestion. It's already flagging possible threats (17), of course, they may be just false alarms, but who knows?

Thanks
    I already have it installed. Works good. Good suggestion. It's already flagging possible threats (17), of course, they may be just false alarms, but who knows?
    Looks like it took you only 7 minutes to get it installed and running! Excellent!

Thanks
    BTW, on the subject of which Linux distros are worth giving a try, as BATcher has suggested, Zorin indeed has a lot going for it and it's one of my favs, but I just tried MacPup Linux, and wow, it is impressive...
    Just out of interest, MacPup is on DistroWatch's list of Dormant Distributions, because it hasn't had an update for over two years - in fact three.

You may be entirely happy with using it as it is, but you might want to check whether they are planning any updates, if that's of any concern to you...
    BATcher

Always advise against annoying, awkward and affected alliteration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12