3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems migrating old data to Windows 10

LangaList Plus

Problems migrating old data to Windows 10

By Fred Langa

A reader asks why his new Win10 setup can't access an old drive's data, when an XP system can.

Plus: Annoyed by the too-frequent "Defender needs to scan your PC" messages? Here's help.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/problems-migrating-old-data-to-windows-10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner default settings and Windows Defender

Thanks for the info on CCleaner's new setting causing a false Windows Defender message. I was being driven crazy trying to figure out what was happening. Is there a similar issue/concern with any other software? I'm specifically concerned about what seems to be a default setting to include MAlwarebytes. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Horn View Post
    Thanks for the info on CCleaner's new setting causing a false Windows Defender message. I was being driven crazy trying to figure out what was happening. Is there a similar issue/concern with any other software? I'm specifically concerned about what seems to be a default setting to include MAlwarebytes. Thanks.
    If you want Malwarebytes to retain all its history, settings and logs, I would treat it in CCleaner the same way you would treat Windows Defender. Uncheck it.

But be aware that by default, Malwarebytes does not pop out Need to Scan Notifications the way Defender does. It's these Notifications which are an annoyance and can be dealt with fairly easily in CCleaner. I get similar Notifications from Avira and AVG. I just dismiss them, as I keep up a fairly aggressive scan schedule, so I know the Notifications aren't an emergency.

I'm not sure whether Windows Defender Notifications can be controlled to prevent just this one without suppressing all WD Notifications.

Better yet, when completing security operations, or periodically on a schedule, make a habit of copying all security logs and histories to your user data files. Then if these logs get cleaned, you will have copies of them. This doesn't help with Notifications, but it does preserve the reports.

Also, CCleaner routinely cleans out the logs from the monthly MSRT security scans. If you want to keep track of those, copy them to the your user data files before running CCleaner. There is unfortunately, no easy way to make a specific exception in CCleaner for these logs. They show up as general Windows system logs when using this or any other cleanup tool including Windows Disk Cleanup.

While these unwanted effects may seem like overly aggressive cleaning, it's really a case where Windows and Windows Defender don't make a good enough distinction between their various types of log files. So all tend to get lumped together by most cleaners, including Disk Cleanup, as junk files. This is not restricted to CCleaner and is not easily fully remedied.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2016-12-09 at 13:20.
    -- Bob Primak --