5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

unsecured xfinitywifi, secured XFINITY, secured WARDADDY and good practice

I just upgraded to a Smartphone LG Optimus Zone 3 Android version 5.1.1 from my older G2 flip phone. Iím not a gadget person but itís about time I at least get going with it.
    --- So youíll know I am not connected to the Internet yet. I use the Smartphone only for phone calls and texting at this time. Iíll eventually graduate into using the Internet and advanced features.

I have questions about wi-fi networks.

Usually I see an unsecured xfinitywifi not only in my area but anyplace Iím at.
    --- Iíve been told I can use that to connect to and it doesnít affect my data usage: is that true?
    --- But I do not think itís a good idea to connect to an unsecured connection: however is it possible to protect my Smartphone if Iím in area in which I might want to use an unsecured xfinitywifi?

Then thereís usually a secured XFINITY again not only in my area but anyplace Iím at.
    --- Iím not interested connecting to it but Iím interested in understanding whether or not itís a system that Comcast(?) has that's available so anyone can use as long as the password is known?.
    --- I had a friend of mine who uses such a connection but doesn't recall how they got the password but it works for them.

Then thereís a secured WARDADDY in my area but isnít always in the list.
    --- There were times a few years ago in which I read about wardriving which if I remember correctly was a term used to describe someone who would drive around with their laptop and look for ďopenĒ wireless connections or something like that.
    --- One of my friends just a few houses up from me said she had to have wi-fi issues taken care of a few weeks ago and the technician who checked out her system told her the system had a virus in it. I donít know the details of why but her system did not include a computer. It included a cable modem, an outdated Netgear wireless router that supported only up to WinXP and used WEP and then her Smartphone.
    --- Fortunately she had her system updated with modern equipment.
    --- Anyway when I noticed the occasional secured WARDADDY entry it just made me think that someone is essentially ďadvertisingĒ themselves.
    --- Most of the time I have my wi-fi turned off, but there were a few times I used it since I wanted to find out if it helped me connect in a few poor reception spots when Iím just outside my apartment but I forgot to turn it back off a couple of times until the next day.
    --- Is there a way in which I can find out if someone is using my Wi-Fi when it's turned on?

Last but not least I have friends who always have Wi-Fi turned on
    --- I'm curious about that: it might be convenient but is that good practice?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Using unsecured wifi is covered here. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ot-On-the-Road

If your ISP provides coverage via their router in other peoples homes then yes, you can use it - many ISPs seem to do this now. I would expect it would be included in your bandwidth.
    Check on your ISPs web site for details.

Any secured wireless is unavailable unless you know the password or it's old equipment and can be hacked.

Nobody is using wifi on your phone unless you have made your phone a hot spot. Have you?

You can safely leave wifi on on your phone assuming it's not an open hot spot. It uses a small amount of battery when listening for networks and more if you connect to one. (I leave wifi on on my phone.)

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-12-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was an excellent summary. And I have not set up my phone as a hot spot.

Thanks
    When I had a Blackberry, I left wifi on, but I set it to auto-connect only to what I specifically wanted it to connect to -- my home network, the network at the job, etc.

If you leave auto-connect set to the default, then likely anytime you are at Starbucks or any other place with no password requirement, it will auto-connect to that network. I didn't want that, and so I turned that feature off.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,060 Posts
    You should never use auto-connect IMO.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I selected to connect to the unsecured xfinitywifi in my Wi-Fi list from my apartment (I am not at a public place) to see what happens.
    --- It reports “you are connecting to the unsecured network xfinitywifi. Information sent is not encrypted and may be visible to others. Do you still want to connect?” I clicked on Yes.
    --- A message appears. “Internet unavailable via connected Wi-Fi. Stay connected to Wi-FI, but use mobile data. Data may apply”. Then I disconnected on purpose.

Then I connected to my home network (I did enter my password) and it connected without the above messages.
    --- Does that mean I’m not using my mobile data?
    --- If so is it safe to always leave it on?
    --- I have friends who always leave their Wi-Fi on but I trust your answers before trusting whatever they are doing

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 1,228 Posts
    There are no problems with leaving Wi-FI always on. Mine sure is.

While you are connected to the Wi-Fi, yes, you will not be using your mobile data.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-12-13)