3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prepare your digital devices for holiday travel

Mobility

Prepare your digital devices for holiday travel

By Tracey Capen

December is the season for getting out on the road or in the air, or on the tracks, or maybe even on the water. And during our travels, many of us will carry along an assortment of digital devices.

Here are some tips for entertainment and security when you're away from your usual home/office Wi-Fi networks.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/prepare-your-digital-devices-for-holiday-travel/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re PlayOn - Tracy Capen said:

"....it hasn't been sued in the year it's been in business."

I have been using it for nearly two years. It used to be called PlayLater. And I only paid one initial subscribe fee.

Yes, it's like a VCR, recording at 'play' speed, and the files are big. I record overnight and store them on usb 64gb memory sticks and then use an OTG adapter to play them back on my Android tablet.

It does mean you are free to record whatever you like (not just Netflix or Amazon's allowable ones) - and that means the latest available in your region.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not use the public library for audio books? Between my local libraries, affiliated ones that send books over (same county or metro area), and interlibrary loan beyond that (covers the U.S.), I've listened to easily 2000-3000 books in my car (and home) over the last 25 years, all for free and no worries about ownership (I'm not building a library).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding travel, I started a similar thread last week and there's one more similar thread. Many people weighed in that they felt that the use of HTTPS plus careful internet practice made it fairly safe to use WiFi on the road.

Others commented that taking along a portable WiFi router to use in hotels that provide an Ethernet connection was also a good practice. Mainly because snooping a plugin connection is a lot harder than snooping a public WiFi connection.

There was no real support for using a VPN, however it's worth noting that there is a free (limited) version of GhostVPN for occasional use. For someone traveling more, then a yearly contract may be worth looking into.

This article also mentions the use of cellular WiFi hotspots, something I hadn't thought about for a while. Some are rather expensive for what you get, but there are a few that you can purchase that have minutes that don't expire.

There is also the possibility that you can tether your PC or iPad to your cellphone. That's not without some issues of it's own but it is possible and for occasional use may be a viable alternative, particularly if you aren't near a usable WiFi source.

It's also worth noting that financial/banking apps on cellphones may be more secure than accessing than using a browser.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks

Free is best

As highstream has said, I think the library is the perfect solution for both audio and e-books. Now that I'm retired I read upwards of 20 books a month along with a few magazines and multiple newspapers. I could not only never afford all that reading material, I have decided that I never, ever want to move again and have boxes of books to contend with. I only buy books I'm sure to read several more times, which is hardly any.

Also for travelling, I can access my library on-line from anywhere in the world and don't have to worry about trying to find reading material in English no matter where I am.

AND my library has movies too.

Another great place to download is the Internet Archive. Tons of books, movies, music, concerts, cartoons and a classic video game arcade - all for free. There are some other free streaming sites too, lots of documentaries and such. For those of us on a budget it's worth checking out this stuff.