Thanks

Linux Mint 18 Left a Sour Taste

3 days ago I made all the right (or so I thought) preparations for installing Linux Mint 18 as a triple boot in my dual boot Windows desktop system. I had been playing around with a Linux Live USB for a bit and was interested. I followed the prep instructions by clearing out a 60GB partition, booted into a live Linux Mint 18 USB Thumb drive and proceeded with the installation.

It all seemed to go well, and I booted into Linux Mint 18. My NIC wouldn't work. I rebooted into Windows 10, and my NIC wouldn't work there, either. Same thing with my other Windows 10. I couldn't get network connectivity from any OS. I perused the web, tried a number of things, but all to no avail.

In the end, I wiped the Linux partition, expunged Linux from my EFI partition, and still had no network. I finally had to restore a Windows drive image to get things back in order. I'm still trying to puzzle out what went wrong. The network worked fine as long as I was using the live Linux Mint USB stick, but it went south with the hard drive installation. I'm just now in working order again.

Not a fun trip, and I didn't learn much except a new way to pooch my system.

I'm not in a big rush to try Linux again.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    ...I'm not in a big rush to try Linux again.
    Me neither Bruce.

Have tried several Linux distros since about 2001 - Red Hat <> 2001-2005 was OK but "went off", probably because Red Hat had more success server-side.

About 2008-2009 tried Mandrake and again it was OK, but not really comparable to Windows in terms of functionality (further comment on that below).

About a year ago I tried Ubuntu after reading many positive reports in forums, but once again found that Ubuntu simply did not allow me to do what I needed - there are so many programs/applications available for Windows that are not available for Linux/Mac.

Actually, I am really happy w/ the last few builds of Win10 Pro x64, so am not really inclined to mess around w/ Linux any time soon.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Actually, I am really happy w/ the last few builds of Win10 Pro x64, so am not really inclined to mess around w/ Linux any time soon.
    I dabbled with Ubuntu and Mint a few months ago and got everything working OK, but I agree with you about Win10 Pro, so didn't do any more than ensure I could use Linux should the need arise.
    Last edited by Trev; 2016-12-10 at 13:32.

Thanks

Not a fun trip, and I didn't learn much except a new way to pooch my system.

I'm not in a big rush to try Linux again.
    That is very strange. Sorry to hear you have lost your Linux craving, I would love to know what caused that. Could Linux have done something to the Uefi code ?

Trying different OSs with another on an active (running) disk can always be risky. I tried Linux booting from ext HDD and trashed a company computer sitting right next to my 'Linux Guru' who had trashed his company laptop.... I thought using bios to determine boot loader drive would solve that kind of problem however using the bios to set boot drive for W10 Insider would trash my W7 drive and IIRC visa versa. I never learned what the problem was and found repeated use for my drive images. I just installed Mint Matte on an eSATA drive but disabled both internal first. No problems yet ..
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I could boot three ways, but none of them had a working NIC. I spent more than a day searching for a fix, but to no avail. Funny thing is that the same Linux Mint 18 booted as Live Linux worked fine, network and all.

Once again, drive images to the rescue!
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @ Bruce

Yesterday I worked on a customer's Acer laptop that had been upgraded from Win7 HP x64 to Win10 Home x64. Cust complained that it couldn't connect via WiFi or Ethernet to her ADSL2+ modem/router yet could connect to her son's and her daughter's WiFi.

Disabling/enabling the connections had no effect - after re-enabling the connections it would just report "identifying" w/o connecting.

Eventually since nothing was working I resorted to running:

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    START DEVMGMT.MSC

from an admin-level command prompt, clicked "View\Show hidden devices" (in Device Manager), uninstalled all devices listed under "Network adapters", then rebooted. After Windows had loaded fully I was then able to connect via both Ethernet and WiFi, and then upgraded Win10 from 14393.10 to 14393.479.

Never use force - just get a bigger hammer!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Linux Mint 17.3 on a Desktop and Linux Mint 18 on a Notebook, both older machines. Haven't had much trouble with either and only needed to locate and download software for my 2 HP printers, Officejet and Laserjet. But I have the advantage of extra computers to work with.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I have Linux Mint 17.3 on a Desktop and Linux Mint 18 on a Notebook, both older machines. Haven't had much trouble with either and only needed to locate and download software for my 2 HP printers, Officejet and Laserjet. But I have the advantage of extra computers to work with.
    Me, too. Downloaded the Intel driver specific to my Intel motherboard (latest available is for Windows 8.1) and the driver installation software did not recognize any Intel device onboard! I just struck out all the way around, and finally resorted to restoring a recent image.

But, as I posted earlier, booting the same software and running it as Live Linux, the internet connection is fine.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ Bruce

Yesterday I worked on a customer's Acer laptop that had been upgraded from Win7 HP x64 to Win10 Home x64. Cust complained that it couldn't connect via WiFi or Ethernet to her ADSL2+ modem/router yet could connect to her son's and her daughter's WiFi.

Disabling/enabling the connections had no effect - after re-enabling the connections it would just report "identifying" w/o connecting.

Eventually since nothing was working I resorted to running:

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    START DEVMGMT.MSC

from an admin-level command prompt, clicked "View\Show hidden devices" (in Device Manager), uninstalled all devices listed under "Network adapters", then rebooted. After Windows had loaded fully I was then able to connect via both Ethernet and WiFi, and then upgraded Win10 from 14393.10 to 14393.479.

Never use force - just get a bigger hammer!
    I tried that, too, on both Windows installations, but it didn't work on either. Real head scratcher...

Unleash Windows

Thanks

Once again, drive images to the rescue!
    Seconds for that thought.

All very strange w/ the nic, maybe throw it at a Linux forum ?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I had that happen years ago using Simply Mepis.
    The live worked perfectly but on the install, I lost internet access. I think that was the last time I installed linux as a dual or triple boot.
    I now depend strictly on USB sticks. It might be slower but at least I know if a particular distro works.

Thanks
    Ubuntu works well for me on most things, but not all. I'm very slowly working my way through those issues, switching back to Windows as needed.

My hope is to have all of these issues resolved by 2020, when Windows 7 goes out of support. I'm determined to make it work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Best way to use Linux is in Oracle Virtualbox... dual/triple booting is always a major migraine with Windoze :-) But Virtualbox has it's own set of headaches :-) I also use VMWare vSphere as well, more complicated to set up but once done is great :-)