Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Seagate Offer - 200GB OneDrive Storage Free for 2 Years

I just bought a Seagate 2TB external drive and it come with an offer for 200GB of OneDrive storage free for 2 years. It's entirely unclear if this offer will result in your having 200GB of storage or 200GB + whatever you have now or what.

Also I have no idea what the cost might be after that since Microsoft no longer has a 200GB tier in their plan. My guess is that after the 2 years is over, you will have to opt into Office 365 which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,060 Posts
    And 200GB is of value next to your 2TB disk? Seems a bit gimmicky to me.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Not so gimmicky if you need*that much online storage.*Usually, the limited time offers are added to your current allotment.
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe, are those asterisks intentional?

Only reason I ask I've seen them in some of my posts here.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's clearly just a Microsoft marketing move to get people to start using OneDrive then give them the option of moving to an Office 365 account or losing all the extra storage they have gotten used to.

I really have no use for 1TB of cloud storage but 200GB happens to be a really useful amount of storage for me. Not that long ago, MS had 100GB and 200GB tiers but got rid of them to encourage people to move to Office 365 instead. I'm probably going to take them up on it and wait and see what options are available 2 years from now.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Joe, are those asterisks intentional?

Only reason I ask I've seen them in some of my posts here.
    No. Just started with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview.
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the instructions but the extra 200GB didn't show up. After some searching on the interwebs I ran across a post that explained the instructions in a different way and when I tried that, it worked.

The instructions on the Seagate website aren't exactly wrong, but they don't explain things well. It's a rather complicated, jump through hoops, exercise designed to walk you through using OneDrive and all it's wonderful features. But it's very poorly worded.

Anyway, I now have 230GB storage. I really wish they would come up with some plans somewhere between 50GB and 1TB.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware