3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft fixes Wi-Fi-connectivity flaw in Win10

Patch Watch

By Susan Bradley

Windows 10 1607 users take note: The odd wireless-connection issue that required a system reset might be fixed.

Beyond that event, December is a typical month for Office and Windows updating. Rollups and cumulative updates are the order of the day for everyone but Vista users, who still receive separate patches.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/microsoft-fixes-wi-fi-connectivity-flaw-in-win10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2016-12-14 at 18:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI, It appears that KB 3206632 completely made my wireless useless. Thankfully, I had a restore point from a few days back and when restoring the backup things worked again. I then went into the device manager and checked for driver updates on my Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265 adapter and downloaded an update. Now it is at version 18.33.3.2 5/3/2016 so hopefully the next time Windows decides to update again (since in Windows 10 Home we have no control about getting updates) the update will not blow me out of the water again.
    Just thought you would want to know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 802 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhp1k
    (since in Windows 10 Home we have no control about getting updates)
    Whilst it's certainly true that you can't pick and choose updates like you could with earlier versions of Windows, it is still incredibly easy to delay or stop them entirely. For example, I last updated my Win 10 tower in October:

win10update.png
    Click to enlarge

I prefer to wait and see how others are affected by updates rather than just let them install themselves at will on a Microsoft schedule.

If you want to know more then just see this post here on WSL.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks

Loss Of WIN 10 UA Internet Connectivity

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post

Patch Watch

By Susan Bradley

Windows 10 1607 users take note: The odd wireless-connection issue that required a system reset might be fixed.

Beyond that event, December is a typical month for Office and Windows updating. Rollups and cumulative updates are the order of the day for everyone but Vista users, who still receive separate patches.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/microsoft-fixes-wi-fi-connectivity-flaw-in-win10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    This is my first time entering a response to a Secrets article. Hope I am doing it right. My son passed away shortly after installing the 1607 Build. His desktop no longer has an internet connection __ we have tried direct connect via Ethernet; wireless and a USB wireless adapter. A laptop does make wireless and ethernet connection off the same router as does his Direct TV. The problem we have is that many of the solutions offered (such as the one is this Windows Secrets newsletter) requires the computer to be connected to the internet in order to download the possible solution. So how do I get the solution to his desktop? Copy the update file from another computer? If this is possible, how do I install the update from that file? We need to get his connection active somehow. Thanks a lot.

kwhiz01
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-12-16 at 14:01. Reason: Removed post from within quote to below.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhiz01 View Post
    His desktop no longer has an internet connection __ we have tried direct connect via Ethernet; wireless and a USB wireless adapter.
    Have you tried Microsoft's current recommendation? (e.g., at the top of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us):

If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet we recommend you restart your PC by going to Start, clicking the Power button, then choosing Restart (not Shut down).

Also see Windows 10 version 1607: Problems connecting to the Internet: Update (12/13/16), but the first step is the same as above.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-12-16 at 14:23.

Thanks
    A few days ago I worked on a customer's laptop; Win10 Home that had upgraded from Win7 in July, but hadn't upgraded since late August so was stuck on "Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.82)".

Both WiFi and Ethernet would connect to the ADSL modem/router but neither connection had Internet access (same result using my ADSL modem/router) and both WiFi and Ethernet connections were "Public" with no options set them "Private", even after removing them and setting them back up again.

After some googling w/ one of my PCs I found a recent M$ support page about this problem that said it was an issue on some systems w/ certain earlier AU builds (v1607). I followed the instructions to "reset network" - go to "Settings\Network & Internet\Status" and click on "Network reset" near the bottom.

W10_NetworkReset.jpg

After clicking "Network reset" Win10 applied default settings to the connections then prompted for a restart. Once Win10 had restarted the Ethernet connection worked immediately and I was able to set it to "Private". After disconnecting the Ethernet cable I was also able to connect WiFi but had to re-enter the security key - and I was able to choose "Private" for the WiFi connection.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-12-16),Sudo (2016-12-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We need to get his connection active somehow.
    So first of all, I'm sorry about the passing of your son. My condolences.

Second, there are a couple of possible options for getting your son's computer back online. Have you tried rolling back that 1607 build to a previous version? The net, and of course that includes Windows Secrets, is awash in stories of the latest Windows 10 causing problems with networking.

Mysterious loss of Win10 1607 Wi-Fi connections

A different option is one that was completely new to me, and suggested on this forum. The command netcfg -d will completely reset all network connections and cause Windows to set everything back to default settings. There is a mandatory reboot immediately after using this command.

You will probably have to re-enter your Wi-Fi password(s) after using this command. As such, this command is a bit of a hammer and is probably best used only after you have tried, and failed, at some other attempts.

See this thread for details:

Am I looking at a hardware wireless module failure, or a software one?