3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The five main causes of Win10 slowdowns

Best Practices

The five main causes of Win10 slowdowns

By Fred Langa

Although Win10 is capable of excellent performance, it can run slowly on some systems even on new "Made for Windows 10" PCs!

If you want more speed from your current Win10 setup, or you're thinking of getting a new Win10 PC this holiday season, here are the major performance-sapping pitfalls you can avoid.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/the-five-main-causes-of-win10-slowdowns/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win10 performance on my Lenovo All-In-One has been excellent in my opinion ... with one exception. On starting some applications (Google Earth is one), the machine freezes for 2 or 3 minutes. When this has happened while I was monitoring system performance with Task Manager, the C: drive showed 100% activity for the entire time but with 0 data transfer! I have seen this on two laptops too but they aren't used as heavily.

Any suggestions of what might be causing this or, better yet, what I can do to eliminate it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    have you heard of this one Fred?

I'm not sure how common this is but I experienced a very frustrating situation with my PC shortly after upgrading to Windows 10. The symptoms were slow mousing around or missing letters as I typed. Very serious lag.

As per your article, I tackled the most obvious with upgrading hardware including video card, RAM, Win10 64bit, SSD main drive, cleaning out programs, etc. The system seemed to slow down when I started loading up too many browser windows (IE, Chrome) so I tried other browsers, same slowness that was painful to watch and made it almost impossible to get any work done. All of the performance monitors all seemed normal. Stress tests on the graphics card flew by.

And then I tripped across an article talking about interference caused by some wireless network routers with wireless keyboards and mice. And guess who just got a new cable modem from their provider (Hitron CGNM-2250 Advanced WiFi Modem) and was using a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse? Me. The cable modem sits right by my main PC.

So I put in an extension cable from the Logitech USB dongle and the PC, and everything worked like a charm (as expected).

It was an expensive and time wasting mystery but nonetheless a learning experience. So I pass that on if you haven't heard of it before.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ejvance For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-12-15)