3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10's new defaults might break batch files

LangaList Plus

Win10's new defaults might break batch files

By Fred Langa

Microsoft is changing Win10's default command processor to <i>PowerShell</i>. Here's how to ensure batch files and other legacy operations still work.

Plus: Should you uninstall old apps before installing new versions; also, a question about questions and an end-of-year best-wishes to all!

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/win10s-new-defaults-might-break-batch-files/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Whilst I have never had to write a batch file myself I work with a friend who has written a system of programs and has several "helper" *.bat files. The batch files he has written execute OK on Insider Build 14986 - whether or not the switch in Taskbar Properties is set to open a PowerShell window or a Command window.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I think Fred guessed wrong here (that the question submitter was using Insider Preview Fast Ring, when that wasn't mentioned.)

Why should which of Command Prompt or PowerShell is in a particular place on a menu affect .bat files running when cmd.exe exists?

Something else must have changed on the computer which will no longer run batch files: It wasn't just an update to a recent IP build.