3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The ultimate utilities list: Windows 10 Edition

Best Utilities

The ultimate utilities list: Windows 10 Edition

By Tracey Capen

As one would expect with an evolving operating system, Windows 10 includes tools that we once relied on third-party publishers to provide.

But there are still many add-on apps that make Win10 work even better — though we now have some reservations about two of our favorites.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-utilities/the-ultimate-utilities-list-windows-10-edition/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner Registry Cleaning

For some time I have used CCleaner, but only the “Cleaner” tab that deals mostly with browser activity and system things. I have never used the “Registry” cleaner, because I doubt I am good enough to fix things if CCleaner messes up something while cleaning the Registry. Are the things in the attached file OK to clean or should I be cautious in allowing CCleaner to do this? In general what should I avoid changing?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
    CCleaner Registry Cleaning: I have never used the “Registry” cleaner, because I doubt I am good enough to fix things if CCleaner messes up something while cleaning the Registry. Are the things in the attached file OK to clean or should I be cautious in allowing CCleaner to do this? In general what should I avoid changing?
    I think deleting all those entries will be fine. When you click "Fix selected issues" CCleaner will prompt you to back up the entries it will remove to a .reg file. As long as you save that file, with date and time in the filename, if you should ever hit any related problem (which in my view is extremely unlikely) then you can just double-click that file to restore all those entries.