Lounger
    Thanks

WinRM 3.0 for Server 2003R2

Hi
    For reasons of historical bespoke software we have to keep a server running with Server 2003R2 (32bit)
    Our Primary DC running Server 2012R2 has a problem 'connecting' with the old server, formerly a DC and reports that we need to run WinRM 3.0 on the older server.
    The old server has WinRM 2.0 on it and at the time Server 2003 went out of support it was up to date with SP2 and updates etc.
    Is it possible to get WinRM 3.0 other than via the M$ .msu for the older server? and would it even run as a service on the older server?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Can you run the old server as an isolated asset or does it need AD access?
    I'd have the old server virtualized to make mods / testing / recovery easy.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul
    Interesting question if it can be run outside the domain
    It has always sat as the backup server i.e. secondary DC and where all the file replication was partnered.
    Its partner, the Primary DC has twice been replaced by successive servers running 2008R2 and 2012R2, both with additional functions; 2008 running TS. However as times and needs have changed it has remained in service as a backup DC and left running specifically one group of bespoke software programs.
    Back to your points; we are trying to create a virtual server to run these programs but in the meantime have an access issue that seems to require WinRM 3.0.
    My recollection is that it was created as a stand alone and can be run outside of the domain without AD access but I'll have to find the original assembly notes.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Why are you using WinRM? Surely there are better ways to manage the system.

cheers, Paul

p.s. I'd add a second domain controller with Server 2012, then demote the 2013 box to a member only - it should have been retired from DC duties long ago.