Lounger
    Thanks

List of files on USB stick

I have just got a 32gb usb and I will copy about 24gb of photo's onto it. When I used to do this on a CD or DVD I would make a listing of the filenames and print it and put it inside the jewel case.
    So my questions are:
    1. How do YOU identify what files are on your usb sticks? I am looking for something external that can be used to ID the files without a computer. i.e. an 80-80 listing. Is there a product out there that provides a good way of storing the usb & listing together?

2. what program would you use to create the list of files. All I know is that there are 18 folders, I don't know how many actual .jpgs there are in each folder.

Any/all comments appreciated, thanks.

Jack

Thanks
    There was [and probably still is] a free version and a pay-for version of PrintFolder -- which has worked well for me. I bought the pay-for because it offered more control over what gets printed.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Karen's Directoy Printer is well regarded, as are all her utilities.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...y_printer.html

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Karen's utility I'm sure is good.

If you want a simple, old school method, one that works on any system without any add-on software, try this instead:

Code:
    dir /w | C:\Temp\FileList.txt

Then print the result out using NotePad. You should be in the folder you want to print out, when you use the above "dir" command.

Lounger
    Thanks

list files on usb

Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Karen's utility I'm sure is good.

If you want a simple, old school method, one that works on any system without any add-on software, try this instead:

Code:
    dir /w | C:\Temp\FileList.txt

Then print the result out using NotePad. You should be in the folder you want to print out, when you use the above "dir" command.
    I remember that from my DOS day and that'ss exactly what I was going to do but I thought there was a more modern way...

I have Karens Directory printer on a disabled system and totally forgot about it and I'll look at printfolder as another option.

Thanks gents for the answers...jack

Thanks
    You could add the /S switch if there subfolders - as you imply in #1

Code:
    dir /w /s | C:\Temp\FileList.txt
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nacmine View Post
    2. what program would you use to create the list of files. All I know is that there are 18 folders
    Does your file manager have a 'flat' view? Ie one which shows one list of the files in a folder tree segment, without the sub-folders getting in the way? Paste that list into your text editor and print, or into Excel or Word if you want 2-3 columns across the page—might be a good idea with so many files.

If your FM doesn't have flat view, Directory Opus does—grab the trial.

How do YOU identify what files are on your usb sticks?
    I gave up ID'ing files on individual disks a long time ago [it hasn't been easy since 5 1/4" floppies], since I'm usually much more interested in the "Where is…?" question than the "What's on…?" Q.

I/we ID our USBs by color, or a number/letter painted on with liquid paper, or colored stickers. All the content info—filenames, storage location, etc, etc—goes in an Excel workbook which has different worksheets for images, videos, games, books, music. Book or sheet can be printed whenever.

If you have metadata with the files, the Excel approach makes that easy to store and manage also, and of course you can choose which meta fields to print for each media type.

Another main reason I went with the above method was to avoid buying duplicate media, above is simple to check very quickly for any given title. We have thousands of files, and it's often not clear if something was bought a decade ago, or did we only see the demo, read a review, whatever.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2017-03-12 at 03:19.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD