New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2008 Servers R2 Standard - sorting out licenses mess

Hi,
    I am trying to sort out licenses on 2x Windows 2008 Servers R2 Standard SP1.

Full story:
    I have taken over 2 systems and have no contact with previous admin.
    There are 2 vmware guests machines with Windows 2008 Servers R2 Standard
    1 - Prod
    2 - Test

Both have its own Microsoft's Licenses (Windows Keys and RDP licenses/CAL) at least I can see that on the purchase order/invoice.
    What I have been told: sometime in the past, they have cloned (2)TEST out of (1)PROD and (theoretically) someone who was maintaining the system was supposed to change Windows Key (and RDP Licenses/CAL).

What I want to do:
    1. I am not sure that the previous admin has changed Windows Key. I have tried to check this with nirsoft.net product_cd_key_viewer but it faild/said it cannot read the key.
    Question: how can I verify Windows Keys?
    (as a matter of fact im not even sure is the license keys that customer showed me are the right ones. Any procedure to verify that with Microsoft?).

2. This same for RDP Licenses/CAL. Though here I have not much experience how RDP Licenses/CAL work. Is it another key?
    All I can read atm. in "RD Session Host Configuration: Remote Desktop Licensing mode = per user".

Can anyone help me please to start off with these 2 points?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,060 Posts
    2008 servers only need you to enter a licence key - they don't phone home.
    If you have cloned existing machines you should have the existing licenses.
    Bottom line, if they are working and you have invoices, don't play.

TS license manager
    Leave / set the TS mode to per user.
    Again, if you have the paperwork you are OK.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul, thanks for this reply.

Point 1:
    I understand that there will be no conflicts in case updates/upgrades? (because of using this same registration key) and from legal point of view (in case of audit)?
    Is that correct understanding?

Point 2:
    I do NOT have any paper for that part (i wasnt clear about it in my 1st post). Customer thinks that it was ordered. No paper proof though.

From the link you sent I understand that it cannot be installed but only kept in hand/paper in case of an audit.
    Is that correct?
    Last edited by czezz; 2017-02-28 at 05:02.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. No conflicts, but if you are audited...
    2. It's up to the end user to keep the records for software purchases. You can happily set up what they want but make sure they understand it's their responsibility to have licenses.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,
    after a long discussions with customer now they think they have never ordered RDP licenses.
    Instead, they believe that they are allowed to use 2 RDP sessions at a time as this is allowed by default (no additional licenses are needed) and as the licensing mode is set: per user.

Questions:
    1. Do you know if that could be true. (I remember ithat in Windows 2003 Server something like that was allowed but i think for Administrator users only?)
    2. From the link you sent I understand that it (RDP licenses) cannot be installed but only kept in hand/paper in case of an audit. Is that correct? (Yes/No)
    Last edited by czezz; 2017-03-09 at 05:28.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. There are 2 free RDP logins available for server admin - 3 if you know how - so if you stay under that limit you should be fine.
    2. Yes.

cheers, Paul