Thanks

Keep an Eye on Disk Health: It Pays off!

Several years ago, I decided to take advantage of a "special price" offer on a "Hard-Disk-Health-Monitoring" app for my Windows 10 Desktop (I omit the real name because I am not sure if advertising is permitted here). Three days ago, the app screamed a warning that my secondary, data-storage drive had reached "critical life" stage, "backup all contents immediately". The App also indicated the expected remaining life of the disk to be "two days" (this proved to be very accurate!)

I routinely backup the contents of this disk to an external drive every week, but nevertheless ran a backup immediately.

I then ran CHKDSK /r from a Dos prompt. It crashed very soon after starting.

When I booted my system today, the faulty hard drive was no-longer detected. It had finally died.

So, it seems the cost of the "disk health monitoring app" was worth it! (Failing that, regularly running CHKDSK seems to be a good alternative).

Any comments?

Edit: The App I use is Hard Disk Sentinel Pro (thanks to RetiredGeek for advising that I can use the product name)
    Last edited by petesmst; 2017-03-04 at 07:02. Reason: Added Product Name
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Pete,

Feel free to mention the name of a product you are happy with. As long as you don't have a financial interest in the program it's not advertising.

I fully agree that it is a good idea to keep an eye on your storage media since it will ALL FAIL eventually! Of course it goes w/o saying that Image backups are the essential data protection tool. Sadly, too many PC users fail to do this on any regular schedule, if at all!

Personally, I use Hard Disk Sentinel Pro on all my machines and am very pleased with it.
    HDSentinel.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I use CrystalDiskInfo - free of course.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    @RetiredGeek: Thanks (I have added the product name to my OP, and note it is the same as the one you use.)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @RetiredGeek: Thanks (I have added the product name to my OP, and note it is the same as the one you use.)
    I use it as well

Don't recall ever seeing it touted by any spam posts.

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, what's the difference between pay-for Standard and pay-for Professional -- I'm running two laptops and one desktop w/Windows 7 Pro. I'm planning on buying one family pack, either STD or PRO.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Roland,

Here's a link to the HDS website comparison page.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Bought the family 5PC lifetime license pack offer - $57.00 rounding up total.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2017-03-05 at 08:52.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

Thanks
    I must at that using HDD Sentinel Pro certainly opened my eyes: I had believed that running CHKDSK /r from time to time would be enough to save me from disk failure. I was wrong. (As indicated by the issue that prompted my OP above)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Being the tight wad that I am, I use HDSentinel to check now and again but uninstall straight after to stop the clock on the 30 day free trial and then run the program as and when from my Downloads folder.

My Toshibas have a HDD/SSD alert service which I guess would do the same thing as HDS seems to do, but HDS gives a written report on the status of the HDD/SSD which I like.

Thanks
    @Sudo: Yes, HDS has its advantages!