3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Password Managers and a new(ish) browser observation

I found an old thread on Password managers that talked about Blur from two years ago. I went looking because the latest (of many) article on password managers didn't mention this one. And I've been using it for quite some time. I wrote a response there and then couldn't post it because the thread was two years old - I sorta wish they'd mentioned that, or I'd noticed before I wrote it. :^). So, I'll start with that.

Blur has evolved into a full fledged password manager that works on all browser platforms, actually keeps track of all passwords (as well as generates them) across browsers and smartphones. I use it and find it invaluable especially on my iPhone when I am doing something that needs a password and I'm nowhere near my desktop, I can open the app, grab the password, go back to the browser and continue on. I love it, easy to use and quite customizable. Though it gets no love in the newsletter. :^) It began as Do Not Track by Abine which was purchased by Blur apparently. I've had NO bad experiences and they don't get hacked. Which is a positive for me. Anyone have a bad experience with it?

I've also started using, a few months now, a browser, Vivaldi, which is a Chrome offshoot, that I really like. I've used FF for years and there are still things I like it about it but they're so heavy handed in how they change things without warning although it is still the most customizable browser by far. Market share isn't huge and though version 51 came out a week ago or so, there's already been an update. Vivaldi is also customizable, uses Chrome extensions but it isn't as aggressive as Chrome (I use MalwareBytes Pro as a standalone anti-malware product - don't like suites, Symantec put me off them forever when they ruined Norton Utilities for DOS!, which identifies 5 programs Chrome drops on my desktop EVERY time I open it - so I don't - as PUP, not harmful, just the evil empire tracking as always) and actually honors my Do Not Track requirements. Yes, paranoia, I use Ixquick or DuckDuckGo for searches too, never Google. Anyone else using Vivaldi, opinions on it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    Anyone else using Vivaldi, opinions on it?
    RockE posted some thoughts and links here recently.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually I like Vivaldi, though it is not much more customizable than Chrome, it does not try to track me as Chrome does. It's gotten a bit better with each release but what I notice most is its speed. It is so much faster to load pages and move through them FF. I used to use Opera many iterations ago but they've continued the Chrome path of allowing very little customization. I am never going to give up the File Edit, etc., toolbar voluntarily, it is just too useful to me, or I'm too used to it and any browser that doesn't allow it or easy access to bookmarks will never get me for long. Vivaldi imported things fine, though a bit awkwardly and Blur keeps things synchronized across all browsers, so I'm hanging in there with Vivaldi and occasionally FF these days - there are a surprising number of things you simply cannot do on FF, sites that will not work properly, one has to have an alternative in those cases and I just don't like IE or Edge though I go back to the beginning with IE work and home. FF's extensions and addons were what first won me over and most browsers, except IE and Edge now offer tons of those so it is a matter of what's personally preferable. A good password manager that works across browsers lets one escape the confines of the one that has stored your login credentials as the password manager takes care of all that nicely.