Star Lounger
    Thanks

Converting DVD to capture images on PC or Mac

I have a DVD that was sent to my wife by her now-deceased uncle back in 2003. The disk houses a collection of old family photos with text, but they're in a format that will play only on a DVD player. I put the disk into my DVD player, and it works just fine. It's like a slide show with background music.

We'd like to capture the images to put on a family reunion page on Facebook, but the disk won't play on my MacBook Pro. The files show up in Finder (on my Mac) and on my Windows 10 PC, like so:
    Screen Shot Gene's DVD.png
    I have no idea what to make of these file extensions, although I know VCD is "video CD" or some such thing. I hope someone in the Lounge can point me to a way to recover the photos from this disk. Can I download software that will convert this stuff? When I run the disk on a DVD player, the images appear to be of low quality, but they were very old B&W photos from the 40s, 30s, and earlier after all. l also have no idea how the man scanned these pictures, nor what he used to make this DVD. I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
    VCD is a very old container format comparable in quality to VHS tape, hence the low quality of the photos (which are stored in the .DAT files).

As VCD is basically MPEG1 you should be able to use Handbrake (or any other MPEG converter) on your Mac to transcode it to a format you can play, pause and screenshot the photos on a Mac or Windows device

Hope this helps... .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2017-03-30)

Thanks
    Digiarty/WinX also, probably, has something that can rip the slideshow contents out of that DVD and save them as separate files.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gentlemen! Many thanks for your very helpful responses! I'll give Handbrake a go first and try the screenshot approach. I recall using Handbrake a few years ago--time to try it again. I'm not familiar with Digiarty/WinX, but I'll try that too. I'm always game to try something new.

Thanks
    Old dvds can 'go bad' make a back up while you can!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Digiarty/WinX also, probably, has something that can rip the slideshow contents out of that DVD and save them as separate files.
    Quote Originally Posted by LC_Hutton View Post
    I'm not familiar with Digiarty/WinX, but I'll try that too.
    LC, Digiarty are having their annual giveaway right now. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is free until April 17th. It's good software, but I don't recall if it does what you specifically want—my guess is it will.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LC_Hutton View Post
    Gentlemen! Many thanks for your very helpful responses! I'll give Handbrake a go first and try the screenshot approach. I recall using Handbrake a few years ago--time to try it again. I'm not familiar with Digiarty/WinX, but I'll try that too. I'm always game to try something new.
    You might want to use DVD Shrink to rip the DVD to your HDD before running Handbrake on the ripped folder (avoids certain data-copy errors that can easily arise when running Handbrake on a physical DVD disc).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".