Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHands33
    I found the following "Accepted Solution" at this site:

However, when I disabled the LastPass add-on the problem persisted, so I don't think that's the answer, or at least not for everyone. Also, FWIW, Opera loads pages super quickly with LastPass operating.
    Many thanks for this. It's the first time I've seen LastPass (which I use) mentioned as a possible cause of the 'not responding' hangs. I'll be keeping an eye on this situation even though - sod's law - Firefox hasn't hung since, despite ~50 tabs open.

I wonder if others in this thread, including the OP (genej313), also use LastPass.

Thanks
    I use Lastpass with FF. The only issue I've had so far is logging into Windows Secrets! When I click on the link it seems to have a hiccup when the username gets blanked before it's sent so taking me to a page which asks for more details. If I then click on the LP logo in the username field, I can then select my username and it then works. I have to be careful not to do that too quickly as that seems to shut FF down. Don't know whether this is anything to do with the OP's problem though.
    "Such fun!" - Miranda's mother

Thanks
    I just added a "Footnote" to my post #14. I have never used LastPass, so in my situation this possible cause does not apply.

Thanks
    I installed Firefox 53.0.0 on April 19 and I have not had the problem of Firefox hanging attempting to load a page since this version.

I got my copy of FF 53 at File Hippo.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, are others still finding Firefox to be hanging, taking an extremely long time to load pages? Or has that issue been resolved, and if so, how?

Many thanks.

HH33
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on HP ProBook
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on OLD Dell laptop
    Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHands33 View Post
    ...are others still finding Firefox to be hanging, taking an extremely long time to load pages?...
    Not for me. FF 53.0.3 loads my home page within about 10secs and goes to bookmarked pages also within about 10secs.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHands33 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are others still finding Firefox to be hanging, taking an extremely long time to load pages? Or has that issue been resolved, and if so, how?

Many thanks.

HH33
    Firefox has always behaved that way with me. I have no idea why this works, but when a page is loading unbearably slowly, I click on the "stop" icon (the "X") and then the reload icon...and the page loads instantly. Chrome loads pages much quicker but I still rely on Firefox when visiting financial sites (it seems to work better with RoboForm).

Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if it helps.
    In my case the current version of Firefox (53.0.3, x32) will get slower and slower after 4+ tabs are open. In older versions I did not see this performance hit.

Before applying my solution(s), Firefox actually stops working (the circle forever circling).

The problem is my old setting at
    Tools-Options-Advanced-Network tab, cache size setting.

Previously I set it to 0; no cache storage (I think Firefox then stores cache in the ram. Not sure). Worked fine until recent versions.
    It could hit 50MB cache easy for 4 tabs (e.g. Frys.com sales pages, or youtube tabs).
    I now set cache at 50MB. At close to 40MB and up, I noticed the slow down. [Clear the cache to 0 will cure this slow-down.] I might keep increasing the cache size to fit my usage.

One solution is set Firefox option to clear cache at close.
    With that you can let Firefox be auto cache size (default).

It could grow quite large though.
    If you do not clear cache regularly it would be a lot of junk.
    In my case, I set up a portion of ram (I have plenty) as ram disk.
    Put Firefox cache in there. It effects auto clean when PC is shut down.

To find where cache is located:
    about:cache, or about:about.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your thoughts. I solved my problem by using the Send Tab URLs add-on to send a list of all my 166 (yep, 166) open tabs to the W7 clipboard, then pasting the list into a document which I saved as a .html file so I could open the list in FF to recover the URLs when I wanted them. I then deleted all 166 tabs and started fresh, after which Firefox 53 works fine.

It was interesting that FF had worked fine for a long time with high numbers of open tabs (in the 140-150 range), but suddenly started not working well when FF 52 came out, so when I searched and found out that many others were having problems with FF 52, I assumed that FF52 was the issue. Who knows, there may indeed have been something that changed in FF 52 that made the browser get surly every time I tried to load any page, but at least FF 53 seems to be behaving well at the moment.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HealingHands33 For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2017-06-01)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHands33
    I solved my problem by using the Send Tab URLs add-on to send a list of all my 166 (yep, 166) open tabs to the W7 clipboard, then pasting the list into a document which I saved as a .html file so I could open the list in FF to recover the URLs when I wanted them.
    I had never heard of the Send Tab URLs add-on before so thank you for bringing it to my attention. It works perfectly with my ~50-odd open tabs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I had never heard of the Send Tab URLs add-on before so thank you for bringing it to my attention. It works perfectly with my ~50-odd open tabs.
    I've used it for a few years now, periodically backing up my open tabs to either .RTF or .HTML files, just in case either I or FF did something stupid and totally lost all my tabs. I just hope that FF doesn't disable that add-on as they have done with so many others.

Hint to Mozilla: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12