Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fire Fox hanging indefinitely

After the last update - everything hangs. Absolutely nothing works, endless circling on anything. I uninstalled the program, I dug through everything and rooted out everything I could find. Defragged my hard drive, everything but a clean install of Win10 Pro - which I'm not going to do because everything works except Fire Fox. I've been round and round on the Mozilla forums but they haven't a clue, then I got the renew subscription message here and thought, well, this is where the real experience is. :^)

I am running Malwarebytes 3.0, it is a major upgrade (I've a lifetime license) and I "think" this started about then, they did mess it up and have to reissue it, but I've had this happen with it not running at all, so I don't think I can blame them. I have gotten the profile missing message, I have gotten the Firefox is still running message. I tried all the ideas I could find and nothing worked, so I got rid of it completely.

Then I reinstalled it a few days later. Same problem. I've used this browser since the beginning practically and am exceedingly frustrated at this point. There is no way to talk to a live person (this part of modern life is just not right - yes, I'm of an age where I remember talking to actual humans about actual issues and fixing them) about this. None of the ideas I've tried, work. Just that endless circling. It has told me I'm not connected to the internet. But I am, I don't use Windows Firewall in the first place and everything else works but FF. I'm at a complete loss. I'm using Vivaldi and am relatively happy with it but I do miss some of the extensions that only FF has.

Are there any ideas out there about what I can do? Currently there's no remnant of it left that I can find, though the last time I thought I had rooted everything out and reinstalled, I still got that "you appear to have reinstalled, would you like to refresh", said, yes, endless circle. Then when I closed it, a crash report went (again), and I had to shut down to shut down my pc as the FF.exe never leaves Task Manager until I do that. It worked perfectly until this last upgrade. I can't even find a real way to get every vestige of it gone as every time I've re-downloaded it, it asks if I want to refresh my old installation so some "ghost" is out there, though I've searched and removed everything I can find, waited a week, still same issue. But only with FF. Any ideas? And thanks. :^)

Geez, I wish the world would quit fixing things that aren't broken - that's a general observation, :^).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm also curious if anyone knows how to completely root it out of my system such that I could do a clean, brand new install? So far, that's impossible. Registry cleaned, all appdata deleted, all profile's gone. Still ghosts. Sigh.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Give FreeFixer a run as that may find your "ghosts". http://www.freefixer.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2017-04-15)

Thanks
    What OS and architecture (x32/x64)are you using?

What architecture version of Firefox have you been using? Firefox x32 or x64?

(I know it's no consolation but I am experiencing exactly the same using latest version of Firefox x32 in Win 7 Pro x64 together with Avira Free and MWB Premium 3.0.6.

I'm now experiencing regular unexplained 'not responding' in Firefox with absolutely no increase in CPU activity and no events recorded. When this happens, Task Manager can often not close Firefox and sometimes my entire PC freezes a few minutes later. I'm pretty sure MWB was involved because the situation improved - but didn't disappear completely - when I moved MWB's scheduled scan to 5 am each morning, i.e. when I'm not using the PC.

I'm going to be installing Firefox x64 in the next day or two to see if there's any improvement.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2017-04-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    I don't use Windows Firewall in the first place and everything else works but FF. I'm at a complete loss.
    Some other firewall then?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2017-04-15)

Thanks
    Have a look at the below - you should find a fix for FireFox there:

mozilla support Fix Problems

mozilla support Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2017-04-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Have a look at the below - you should find a fix for FireFox there:

mozilla support Fix Problems

mozilla support Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems
    I don't know about the OP but I've 'wandered lonely as a cloud' through all of those.

Unfortunately, advice to 'create a new places database' and delete old session-restore files hasn't stopped the random 'not responding'.

Thanks
    Firefox problems can, more often than not, be caused by add ons. Presumably, you've tried "Restart with add ons disabled" (under the help tab).

Complete removal of FF is possible, but scary to do and potentially catastrophic if you delete the wrong items, so a backup is essential.

The first step is to uninstall the program using Revo Uninstaller or similar, which removes more than the uninstaller alone.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo..._download.html

Step two is to use FreeCommander or similar to find and remove any left over files or folders. Its much more efficient and a lot quicker than trying to use Explorer.

http://freecommander.com/en/summary/

Step three is to use Registrar Registry Editor to remove all left over keys. You could use the Windows registry editor, but it can only remove one entry at a time and (in the worst case scenario, there may be dozens) is painfully slow. Registrar will find and remove everything in one pass.

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar

Note that in the free (Home version), the Delete key isn't active. You need to highlight all the entries manually, right click and click on Delete selected entries.

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's running in the background as I type. I'm sorry I should have been more specific about my system.

Win 10 Pro (I had an HP Pavilion built for Win 10 a few months before it came out - I had Win 7 Pro on it, upgraded, burned an .iso and did a clean install of Win 10) Version 1607, OS Build 14393.1066, Intel i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50 GHz. 8 GB Ram, 64 bit system, X64-based processor. I was running the 32 bit version of Fire Fox due to the various warnings about the 64 bit version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right now, Malwarebytes 3.0 is everything a suite is including a firewall. I've a Cisco Router hardware firewall and I've been using Sophos Home Anti-Virus as well. I've Windows Firewall, Essentials and such shut off. I know they're supposed to be good enough now, but I've never fully trusted MS products for security and in near 30 years of home computing have never had a virus or piece of malware make it to my system using various standalone tools over the years, I'm happy with the ones I'm using now. Or was until MBAM seems to have had a hand in this thing with FF, though nothing else I said, all else runs well.

It is comforting, I suppose, to know others are having similar issues - that indefinite hang is just very frustrating. Task manager cannot close Fire Fox, you can end up with 10 versions of it running if you're not careful, every time you try to restart, a new service appears. Shutting down or restarting is the only way to close them. FF itself will always respond that it is already running and would you like it to close? But it can't close itself. CCleaner can't close it either, though it tries when trying to clean the cache, again only a restart will let that program do its work too.

Free Fixer found missing .DLL's two, system .DLLs. No idea what that is about, I told it to fix that, and it can't fix them. That's suspicious, maybe a system refresh is in order. There are a number of errors, but no apparent way to fix them. The only thing I will do there is get rid of Bonjour, I thought I already did that. :^). I'll do the system repair, but I don't think that is the heart of this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Firefox problems can, more often than not, be caused by add ons. Presumably, you've tried "Restart with add ons disabled" (under the help tab).

Complete removal of FF is possible, but scary to do and potentially catastrophic if you delete the wrong items, so a backup is essential.

The first step is to uninstall the program using Revo Uninstaller or similar, which removes more than the uninstaller alone.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo..._download.html

Step two is to use FreeCommander or similar to find and remove any left over files or folders. Its much more efficient and a lot quicker than trying to use Explorer.

http://freecommander.com/en/summary/

Step three is to use Registrar Registry Editor to remove all left over keys. You could use the Windows registry editor, but it can only remove one entry at a time and (in the worst case scenario, there may be dozens) is painfully slow. Registrar will find and remove everything in one pass.

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar

Note that in the free (Home version), the Delete key isn't active. You need to highlight all the entries manually, right click and click on Delete selected entries.

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.
    I have disabled all addon's, in several attempts, I had them all, that I could, uninstalled (but for those FF itself controls), safe mode, everything, and nothing worked. I'm going to have to dig deeper into what Free Fixer found as it says some things I'm not sure of. For one, it says a peripheral attached to the system is not responding, but I've only a cordless mouse, a keyboard, monitor and external drive attached and all are functioning just fine. So I'm not sure what it means. I'll dig into that more later. I'm not nearly at the point of reinstalling FF though, not while others are still having the same issues I have had.

Thanks
    Try running System File Checker. (Open Search>Type sfc /scannow. Right click on it and choose Run as administrator. This should replace missing system files. Check Device Manager for error marks and Disk Manager for any anomalous items.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Try running System File Checker. (Open Search>Type sfc /scannow. Right click on it and choose Run as administrator. This should replace missing system files. Check Device Manager for error marks and Disk Manager for any anomalous items.
    So, that produced a result saying there are no "integrity violations", or the system files are just fine. So I've no idea what "freefixer" is talking about. I did, however, when checking on SFC incidentally boot up Edge and notice the SAME problem in it. It will to Yahoo.com, but no other site. Just hangs, circling indefinitely. So, that's odd. Vivaldi and Chrome work just fine, as does Pale Moon, but FF and Edge do not. What on earth could cause something like that?

Well, I think I know. Actually I do know. I shut down the newest version of Malwarebytes and Edge immediately became responsive again. So, the unhappy camper message is at Malwarebyte's headquarters now. And I'm going to push on that very hard. I don't know if anyone else having problems with the hanging is using MBAM, but it is definitely the culprit here. I'll try a reinstall of FF without MBAM later today and let you know how that worked out. I may end up using Windows Firewall after all. Fred did say it was good enough, but dang, I liked Malwarebytes.
    Last edited by genej313; 2017-04-16 at 09:53.

Thanks
    FWIW: I too am having hangs when using Firefox 52.0.2 (32-bit). It will work fine for accessing several websites, then it will stick with the circle spinning after clicking on a link and choosing "open in a new tab". At that point I close Firefox and restart. I then get a message that Firefox is already running and get a "Close Firefox" option. I click the button to close and Firefox will restart and work flawlessly until the next system shutdown.

It is a real PITA, but at least I can get around the problem.

BTW: I am not using Malwarebytes (except on demand). I am using Kaspersky Internet Security and it does not seem to interfere as best as I can tell.

Footnote: I have never used LastPass. So the following suggestion does not apply to my situation.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2017-04-18 at 13:10. Reason: Added LastPass Reference

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife and I are both having this same problem on our respective W7 SP1 64-bit desktops running Firefox 52.0.2 and using Microsoft Security Essentials. The problem only started recently, within the last few weeks, and is frustrating beyond words. Although I have put Malwarebytes on both machines, it's probably been a couple of months or more since I've run it on either machine and it is probably not the latest version, so I'm not sure that MWB is the problem. If I use Opera to browse, it works perfectly and all pages load very quickly, but FF just hangs while loading and takes perhaps 30-60 seconds to finally load the page and stop the whirling cursor circle. In short, FF has become useless.

I found the following "Accepted Solution" at this site:
    Re: 52.0.2 crashes and slowness
    The crashes are likely a problem with LastPass and need to be fixed by its developer by an update.
    See:
    bug 1354294 - Crashes (null Deref) in ScriptedProxyHandler::construct with lastpass addon

Please do not comment in bug reports
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html
    However, when I disabled the LastPass add-on the problem persisted, so I don't think that's the answer, or at least not for everyone. Also, FWIW, Opera loads pages super quickly with LastPass operating.

If anybody can find a way to make the LastPass suggestion work for FF, please do tell. Otherwise, better/wiser thoughts from others will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2017-04-17 at 18:15.
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on HP ProBook
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on OLD Dell laptop
    Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast