Thanks

SSDs and NVMe SSDs: is TRIM functional on your SSD?

Mod EDIT: this topic is based on the discussion here.

I sent a test report to Hard Disk Sentinel (HDS) and also queried why HDS does not report the Trim status of my M.2 NVMe SSD. I have just received the following reply (the English is as received!). (The text in Red is my own doing). I am impressed that my query to the developer triggered a modification to HDS which will hopefully result in a new version being rolled out soon. Under "Feedback" below, you will see that I have already tested a trial version of the new update, and it now reflects the TRIM status of M.2 NVMe SSDs correctly. (Cudos to the HDS development team!!)

"To be honest, displaying the TRIM status is designed to work with SATA SSDs only,
    where there can be problem with TRIM at all.

You may know, with fsutil we can check if the OS uses TRIM command at all,
    but it shows absolutely no info if the TRIM command would really "reach" the device
    or it may be blocked by the disk controller or its driver - which is a common situation
    for SATA SSDs.
    This is why Hard Disk Sentinel focused to verify and show TRIM status for these SSDs where
    there may be a problem - even if fsutil would show that TRIM is enabled.

Please note that most other tools only checks fsutil and always show TRIM = working
    for SATA SSDs too, when it may be not working at all.

However, with NVMe SSDs, things are different: due to design of the driver, TRIM
    should be always working - there is no similar situation - except if we really disable
    TRIM by fsutil.

Generally fsutil always shows TRIM = enabled, even if there is no SSD in the system.
    Personally I see no reason and never saw situation when TRIM was disabled by the user
    (by using fsutil). And if we consider that it is enabled by the OS and the driver can't cause problems,
    then we can assume TRIM is always working for the NVMe SSD.

This is why until now Hard Disk Sentinel did not display such information for this type
    of SSDs. But I completely understand and agree that
    - this information may be assuring (as it would confirm things are working as should)
    - if we see TRIM status for simpler/cheaper SATA SSDs, we may expect for NVMe SSDs too.
    - if fsutil may be used to really disable TRIM - the message should notify about it to change setting

So the updated Hard Disk Sentinel version should display TRIM status: both if working
    and if not working (if we really disable by fsutil at the OS level. You may try - and perform
    a complete re-detect in Hard Disk Sentinel to show the changed TRIM status).

So if you have some time, please try this version:
    (LINK DELETED BY Myself at HDS request)

To use this version, please just completely close the current version by
    File -> Exit (or terminate in the task manager) and (without uninstallation) install this version
    to the same folder, where the previous installed.

This way the new version will automatically use all statistics, settings, license,
    just should display this information too.

I'd recommend to please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option with the
    updated version in all cases.
    This way it is possible to examine the results, confirm if things are better - but if not, it
    would help in further development."

They certainly make it clear that Trim being reported as ENABLED does NOT necessarily mean it is actually functioning!

They have kindly provided my with a test update of the HDS software (asking me not to pass it on to anyone else as it is still in testing).

I installed the new test version of HDS and it now reports that Trim is enabled for my M.2 NVMe SSD. I had not known that "Data Set Management Commands" also refer to the status of Trim (never too old to learn!) I sent HDS a new test Report and have just received the following response:

Thanks for the new report !
    Glad to hear things are working now correctly, TRIM is reported active as should :-)

I can confirm that the support of TRIM is displayed (and was displayed too in previous versions), see the Information page:

Dataset Management Command . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported

Generally with different SSDs, this is a bigger class of commands to manage how the sectors are used (and can be freed).

As you may notice for SATA SSDs too, this is also displayed:

> Data Set Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    > TRIM Command . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported

As for SATA SSDs, TRIM command is only part of this management, but with NVMe SSDs, the Dataset Management means itself that sectors are freed when unused.

This is why TRIM differently is not displayed, just the Dataset Management Command feature.
    I can show TRIM there too, but would be not really true, as (if we want to be 100% correct) this is not really TRIM command, but a slightly different (even if does something similar in functionality).

So, for SSDs "Trim Enabled" in HDS also means Trim FUNCTIONING! I am now happy.
    Last edited by petesmst; 2017-04-24 at 08:48. Reason: Added FEEDBACK
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell S2417DG G-Sync UHD Monitor.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2017-04-24)