3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question About Multi-Drive Array Speed?

Am I correct in assuming that overall read-write speeds are better for say a 3 or 4 drive RAID 5 array, than say two drives in a RAID 1 array, assuming all drives are the same size, speed, number of ports etc?

Thanks,
    rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,069 Posts
    RAID 1 is two disks mirrored, RAID 5 is parity across multiple disks. Given the overhead of RAID 5 I can't see it being faster for either reading or writing. Having said that, I always use RAID 5 in servers for reliability and capacity, but install a fast controller and fast disks - never had an issue with write speeds.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RAID 5 write speeds are considered to be one of the weaker aspects of RAID 5 systems. The read speed of RAID 5 is generally very good so this weakness only affects writes.

Note that this really only affects servers or systems with very high levels of write activity.

At this point I'm supposed to say, these are generalizations. In capacity planning you can use these generalizations to look for trends in your benchmarks but they should not be used as a replacement/substitution for benchmarks.