Thanks

Tips & Tricks document on PS

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Wavy,

FYI: I've started my own Tips & Tricks document on PS (a work in progress). You're welcome to a copy if interested.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post970442

RG did you ever get a chance to check out Idera PowerShell Plus IDE?
    It seems to be only a trial at this point.
    I would very much like a copy of your Tips & Tricks document!

I am finding the ise a bit confusing, I went looking for addon and had only a "goto addons site " option, which opens in PaleMoon. A bit later I tried again and had a list of other options with no changes having been made on my part (knowingly at least) . The option for Script Analyzer is now present and goes to a site that lists a command line to install Script Analyzer which brings up a message box asking for permissions to install from PSGallery which seems to be a repository of addons. Should I assume this is reasonably safe?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,468 Posts
    David,

No, I haven't ever gotten around to that product. I have the free community version of Visual Studio and haven't even used that much. I'm a bit old school and I've never liked generated code, I like to know exactly what was written with clear names and identifiers vs something that was generated with all kinds of cryptic names and identifiers and lots of inefficient code. YMMV!

Here's the current copy of my tips and tricks, this is definitely a work-in-progress.

PowerShell Tips & Tricks.docx

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG
    Thanks for that last.

That product says it helps one learn PS, if it ends up being esoteric that certainly would not help the learning process.

BTW I was looking for some thing that saved the command line entries from session to session. I am thinking I had an addon that did that, maybe in a previous version of PS. Good for a slow typer with a poor memory....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny. I've shied away from generated code too. A lot of it looks terrible and it can be horribly inefficient due to boilerplate logic constructs.

Even SQL Server does this. If you use it to supply object names, SQL server insists upon using fully qualified identifiers, with square brackets around every. Single. Name! It's incredibly cluttered and hard to read.

I look at code like a book. Your job is to communicate clearly with the next programmer to read your code (and that can be the original author). This is on top of the requirements to produce efficient, functional, and bug-resistant code. Anything that gets in the way of those deliverables is bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,468 Posts
    David,

See if this will help.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

wavy (2017-05-17)

Thanks
    I may not get a chance today but it seems like just the thing.

Thanks
    David