Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formatting CDs?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    What I do not remember about nonRWs: if the 2nd explorer.exe copy sessions "hides" the directory of the 1st explorer.exe copy session.
    Roland, that's how multi-session burns work. It's the same, whether it's a -R or -RW disc.

Optical discs cannot write specific files to specific sectors on the disc, they must write a complete and uninterrupted stream (aka, "track" or "session"), each including a directory or TOC ("Table of Contents"). When you add more files later, it writes a subsequent session and a new TOC that supercedes any TOCs on earlier sessions. The new TOC combines the list of files written in the earlier session with any new files in the current session.

When you "delete" a file burned as part of an earlier session, the file is not actually deleted because sessions, once burned, cannot be overwritten. A new session is burned, with a new TOC, but with the filename removed from the previous TOC that is being carried over. The earlier sessions cannot be overwritten to remove the file itself.

Note that means you do not reclaim disc space when a file is "deleted". The disc's space is gradually consumed as more and more sessions are added, whether those sessions are adding or deleting files.

When a disc is full (or earlier, as desired), the disc can be finalized and no further sessions can be added. Even though files that were deleted are still occupying disc space, they will not be accessible because they are no longer listed in the latest TOC.

Note it is immaterial whether you are using a CD-R or CD-RW; they both work the same way. The one difference is a -RW disc can be *entirely* erased and you can start over, using it as a completely blank disc again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2017-05-23)

Thanks
    dg1261, I remember "once written, always there" -- which brings up a question for you and others: once finalized, can something like DMDE or R-Studio "dig up" a file via text-search - regardless of which TOC section it resides within? (The above question "knows" that if a RW is erased or formatted, then nothing previously written exists to search for.)
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

Thanks
    ImgBurn is good but - as you appear to be using Windows 10 - you could just select the files then, in the Share menu, select Burn to disc.

burn-to-disc01.png
    Click to enlarge

If your optical drive is empty this will even open the drive for you.

If you do this a lot then it may even be easier to just add Burn to disk to your right-click context menu.

burn-to-disc02.png
    Click to enlarge

I've attached a ZIP file that includes two REG files. Just run Regedit as administrator and import Burn to disc - Add to right-click menu.reg.

To remove the right-click context entry, run Regedit as administrator and import Burn to disc - Remove from right-click menu.reg.

Note that I've created the Burn to disc - Add to right-click menu.reg file to only work with files, not folders. Let me know if you want folders included as well and I'll create a different REG file.

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12