Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I get a printable list of all or part of my Internet favourites in an such as Word?

I am giving a seminar on a photography topic. In my Firefox Favourites, I have a number of "Favourites" on different aspects of the topic. I would like to be able to provide a list of these Favourites arranged by "topic". I want to know if there is a simple way to present a list of these favourites including the website each one refers to. I am hoping I might be able to do this with Word. I went to the listing in my Windows Explorer app and the Favourites folder. I tried printing from that but it printed stuff like this (couldn't get the Window's Snip to paste into here), regardless, it was not what I was hoping to get. I really don't want to have to type every one of them individually as there are quite a few. If there is some way that I can get a list of these that is presentable to an audience, then I would be most greatful to learn how to do that - maybe there is a simple app that does this.

Ron M.

Thanks
    You can export them as an tml file. Click on bookmarks (I assume you mean bookmarks, favorites are what MS calls them), then show all bookmarks. Now click import and backup and export to html. Double clicking on the resultant file will open it in your browser when you can do a copy and paste job into Word. Hopefully someone might have a more elegant suggestion, but if not this means you don't have to type, just select and copy.
    P.S. don't use the Backup link - it produces a json file. Unless you are familiar with json files!
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this gives me a "hot" list of links and not the URLs. It works okay, even when I copy it into a Word document the "links" are still active. When I print the document out, the links are gone, of course, so I don't have a list of URLs, just names. I need to have the URLs as their names do not provide the "take-away" information that the attendees require.

Ron M

Thanks
    Hmm, yes, I see your point. Googling basically says use VBA or similar. However I have got a routine that does what you ask - an example I've just extracted from an exported to html file.

Buses
    acemodelbuses
    ace model buses is a site for model bus collectors and model railway enthusiasts
    Bus Lists on the Web
    Busworld by Routemaster 1999 Edition
    Devon General Society - Home Page
    ehattons.com from Hattons Model Railways
    exclusivefirsteditions.com
    London Bus Routes Zenfolio
    Buses, London Bus Photos, Photographs, Pics, Old Bus Timetables, Route bus History London, Croydon, Bromley, Go Ahead London, Metroline, First Centrewest, Arriva, Metrobus, Abellio, Quality Line, Road Transport, London Bus Fleets, Trains, Trams, Uk Buses, London Buses, Hounslow, Kingston, Enfield, Bus Garages, Romford, Victoria, Waterloo, Stagecoach London, Greenwich, London Bus Routes, General
    Loughborough Model Centre, First choice for Northcord, CMNL, EFE, Britbus, Corgi, Corgi Trucks, Heljan, Hornby, Peco and Farish
    Loughborough Model Centre, First choice for Northcord, CMNL, EFE, Britbus, Corgi, Corgi Trucks, Heljan, Hornby,
    Routemaster Association Homepage
    Stagecoach Fleetlist | UK-BUSESUK-BUSES
    The Collectors Company Ltd Collectors Co Online
    auto models, the collectors company, diecast, models, diecast models, planes, aeroplanes, cars, buses, lorries, trains, kits, plastic kits, soldiers, collectables, Corgi, Vanguards, Trackside, Original Omnibus, Creative Master Northcord, UK Buses, Britbus, EFE, Oxford Diecast, Hornby, Sunstar, William Britains, Steiff, teddy bears, bears, betty boop, postcards, retro, metal signs, mugs,
    The EFE SHOWBUS Buses On The Net page
    Welcome | Cheltenham Model Centre
    Major retailer of model railways, die-cast, radio controlled and many other hobby essentials. Stocking fantastic brands such Hornby, Corgi, Bachmann, HPI, EFE, Graham Farish plus lots more.
    Woolybus.
    http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/busworld/index.html Busworld by Routemaster 1999 Edition Link
    http://londonbusesbyadam.zenfolio.com/ London Bus Routes Zenfolio Link
    http://www.acemodelbuses.co.uk/ acemodelbuses Link
    http://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/ Bus Lists on the Web Link
    http://www.cheltenhammodelcentre.com/ Welcome | Cheltenham Model Centre Link
    http://www.devongeneral.org.uk/ Devon General Society - Home Page Link
    http://www.ehattons.com/ ehattons.com from Hattons Model Railways Link
    http://www.exclusivefirsteditions.com/ exclusivefirsteditions.com Link
    http://www.routemaster.org.uk/ Routemaster Association Homepage Link
    http://www.showbus.com/efe/web/ The EFE SHOWBUS Buses On The Net page Link
    http://www.thecollectorscompany.com/ The Collectors Company Ltd Collectors Co Online Link
    http://www.ttcdiecast.com/ Loughborough Model Centre, First choice for Northcord, CMNL, EFE, Britbus, Corgi, Corgi Trucks, Heljan, Hornby, Peco and Farish Link
    http://www.uk-buses.co.uk/fleetlists/stagecoach/ Stagecoach Fleetlist | UK-BUSESUK-BUSES Link
    http://www.woolybus.co.uk/index.html Woolybus. Link
    The first part is the html page (well cut down!), obviously there are no links shown but they're there, and the second , with each line staring [url] is the output. Would this do? The routine is AddrView from Nirsoft.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Ron,

Here's a PowerShell routine, I found on the internet and modified, that will allow you to select a specified folder and output a tab delimited list that is easily imported into Word and converted to a table for a nice display. The one caveat is that it only works against Chrome (tried FF but it stores it's bookmarks differently) so you'll have to Load Chrome if you don't have it and import the bookmarks from the browser you are using.

Sample of Word table.

RonMTable.JPG

Here's the PS Script: Get-ChromeBookmarks.zip

Change the Blue highlighted items, at the bottom of the script, below to match your requirements. It is currently set to store the file in the folder from which the PowerShell script is run.

Code:
    For ($i = 0; $i -lt $bm.count; $i++) { 
        If ($BM[$i].Folder -eq 'Access') {
          "$(($BM[$i]).Name)`t$(($BM[$i]).URL)" >>'.\Bookmark.txt' }
     }
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, thanks, this looks like it will do the trick, if I can make it work. I am no longer as techie as I used to be, but I will download it and see what happens. I already have the "bookmarks.html file from Firefox, so I am assuming that I just run this executable against that file and edit accordingly. I will be back if I have any questions and will let you know the results regardless.

Thanks.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2017-05-27 at 02:24.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, I think I will try the routine suggested by access-mdb first. I am not as techie as I used to be and running a routine without having to "modify" it first has a better appeal to me, although having a Word table is also appealing. Thanks for your suggestion.

Ron M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    the second , with each line staring [url] is the output.
    Fyi Access, looks like the forum 'ate' your "[url]"s, they don't show, just the URLs themselves.

Fyi Ron, a text editor with sorting ability [which should be almost all editors] might be useful. You would be able to isolate all the lines starting with "http" or "[url]" into their own block, ready to copy into Word or similar.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Haha Lugh, so they don't! The output is just the urls, the text above is to show what the html looks like for comparison. Obviously they are in the order that they occur in the file but as you say any good editor will be able to sort it.

RG, I wondered if you would chime in with a PS script. However, would it not be better to import the data direct from the html file using Word VBA? I might have a go just for the fun of it!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Access-mdb, this worked, but it still doesn't give me what I was hoping for. What I get is a list of URLs, however, they are sorted by their captions and are not in the order that they are in my bookmarks. I tried deleting the entries from the "bookmarks.html" file, but there did not seem to be a way to do this. I thought that if I could remove all but the relevant entries from this file, then the AddrView would give me the list I want, but this still wouldn't work as it sorts them by caption. There does not seem to be a way to remove this "sorting function".

What I am trying to do is create a list of URLs from a small portion of my total bookmarks, so that I can put them on a handout for attendees. I have hundreds of bookmarks of which the ones I am interested in are only a small portion. I would also like them to come out on the URL list in the same order that they are in on the bookmarks in Firefox.

Ron M

Thanks
    Ron, they are sorted by their URLs rather than their captions. Have you got any sort on your bookmarks - if you do then they are sorted by captions. If they are random then that won't be kept.

Here's my sorted bookmarks:
    buses.PNG

As you can see when comparing with my list in #4 it's not in the same order - the first line is easyweb.easnet.co.uk in Addrview, but Busworld by routemaster is the third entry in the graphic. I have copied the data into Excel and I can now sort it by url or by caption. If you have never sorted your bookmarks then the best that can be suggested is that you manually move them.

I suspect that Retired Geek's suggestion about using powershell might give you want you want. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Access-mdb, As I said, I would like to have them come out in the same order as they are in my current bookmarks. My understanding is that if I sort them, then they will all get mixed up with one another. Right now, they are arranged alphabetically by major topic and then within each major topic, they are also arranged alphabetically

A topic e.g., Creativity
    URL A
    URL B
    URL C
    URL S
    B topic, e.g., Government
    URL A
    URL B
    URL M
    C topic, e.g., Photography
    C subtopic A, e.g, Digital Cameras
    URL A
    URL B
    URL C
    C subtopic B, e.g., Digital Flash
    URL A
    URL B
    etc - you get the idea. If I "sort" these then the URL As will get all mixed in with each other. The same with the URLs starting with B, etc. and I lose the "folder/file" structure of my URLs. Right now, from what I understand of this "process", it would be just as fast to open up each web site and copy the URL to a Word document. By doing 5 or 10 a day, I could probably have the list I want in about a week or two and it would also help me eliminate URLs that are no longer working.

You have been a very nice help in helping me figure out what can and cannot be done. I thanks you for that.

RGs suggestion probably works, but I haven't too many clues about PowerShell scripts and how they work or how to run them. Just not as techie as I used to be.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2017-05-28 at 00:50.

Thanks
    OK, I see what you're saying. One last suggestion. You can create individual html files by editing the main one with Notepad or similar. Select each section individually - look for <H3 in the file that will be the start of each section (your A topic e.g., Creativity etc) select the text down to the next <H3 and copy it to a new file. Do this for each section. You can then run AddrView on each one which will give you what you want. Then that can be copied into a Word or Excel file. You ca add the section headings manually. I suspect that will be quicker than manually copying each UR as you suggest.

BTW if you got to bookmarks (in the menu) and right click each section, click on 'open all in tabs' you can soon see which ones no longer work. I do this from time to time to weed out my dead ones.

Good luck!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I must admit, you have me now. I am not sure what you mean by the "main one" when referring to HTML files. It is also unclear to me what the "<H3" tags are all about. I suspect I have reached the limit of my techie knowledge. Any clarification? Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion on "open all in tabs" to see which ones no longer work.

Ron M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    ...I really don't want to have to type every one of them individually as there are quite a few...
    You shouldn't "have to type every one of them individually". You can use Copy'n'Paste to build your list using a table in Word (e.g.: a two-column table w/ "Name" and "Location" headings).

Copy_FF_Bookmark_Fields.jpg

In Firefox click on the "Bookmarks" menu then right-click on the bookmark you want then left-click on "Properties". The bookmark's "Name" field should be already be highlighted, if not then triple-click in the name field to highlight the name, then right-click in the "Name" field then left-click on "Copy". Then switch to your Word document, right-click in the appropriate field in the table then left-click on "Paste".

Using the above method you should be able to build your list easily and quickly (and avoid typos).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast