5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Anyone have any experience using "Master" slides in PowerPoint?

Hi guys,

This is a tricky one. I'm using PowerPoint 2016 in Windows.

One of my master slides contains a text box that contains two different size fonts. The "#" is size 30, while the actual number is size 45. Here's a pic:

Untitled.png

Unfortunately, Master Slides seems to permit only one font size per text box. Changing one character changes them all.

Is there any way around this?

The only thing I can think of is to create two separate boxes one for the "#" and one for the number. But this isn't ideal.

I'm also attaching slide in a PPTX.

Thanks so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using ppt 2000 and 2010, the former more handy to reach just now, and it seems to manage with no trouble. I am attaching a ppt file so you can report (or post a screen shot) of what you see - its a single slide which uses a master. If it fails for you, can you post a similar file with a master that misbehaves?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

Jon5 (2018-03-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, mngerhold! I appreciate this very much.

1. The section you created called "test text": while this does contain two differently sized fonts, it's *not* editable (after I insert a new slide outside the Master view). That's the same problem I'm experiencing...

Untitled.png

2. I posted a file in my original post; was that not helpful?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Jon5

Whilst in the Slide Master, if you delete your original Text Box, then insert another, you can input text and have different size fonts in that newly created Text Box.

Click image to show short video.
    Last edited by -Moonshine-; 2018-03-12 at 16:33.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to -Moonshine- For This Useful Post:

Jon5 (2018-03-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Moonshine - If only it were that simple! Indeed, if I could do this, there wouldn't have been any need to create this thread.

Thanks
    Have you tried? - click the image in post No 4 to see.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate the video you added — I really do — but have you tried the next step? What happens when you go to use this master slide?

To use the example from your video, "# Testing" is uneditable, which is a major problem; I need the text in the box to be editable.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon5 View Post
    Thanks, mngerhold! I appreciate this very much.

1. The section you created called "test text": while this does contain two differently sized fonts, it's *not* editable (after I insert a new slide outside the Master view). That's the same problem I'm experiencing...
    We may be at cross purposes here: the master is not intended to be editable except when viewing it alone (View>Master, or whatever option MS now allow in later vns of ppt). So I created a second slide, went back to the master and changed the text box (in case that was impossible - apparently not), and the result will hopefully be shortly attached.

2. I posted a file in my original post; was that not helpful?
    That didn't appear to use a master, so I was confused. The text box with '#2' has the Droid Serif font: '#' at size 30 and then '2' at 45, and seems editable at my end. But when I open it in 2010, I see there are many slide master layouts, which ppt 2000 cannot see. On one of them (third one down, with the curly graphic, pop-up note says 'used by no slides') there is indeed a text box ('#1') that appears to only allow one font size. I have spent ages trying to find out what makes this behave that way, and have given up <see below>. I have created a cut-down ppt that inherits that box, inserted in a 'chapter layout', and added some other text boxes that behave normally.

When slides are based on that layout, my text boxes behave as expected: they can't be edited in normal view. Your special one can be edited - but as soon as that is done its special font behaviour disappears. If you want a text box you can alter, with more than one font, create it in normal view. If you want something that stays constant, like a footer, create it in Master view (but don't use your special box). OK, I have finally got it: your text box is a placeholder, which can only be inserted in Master view. Since its purpose is to define a font and size, bullets etc, for text you will subsequently enter on each new slide, it does not make sense for it to have more than one font, size etc.

So you either want place-holders or fixed text boxes. I am aware that slide masters has got much more complex in later vns of ppt, hence why ppt-2000 could not see everything in your file. Have fun, and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-03-13 at 10:18. Reason: expanded several times

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

Jon5 (2018-03-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, mngerhold. I deeply appreciate the time you spent investigating this.

Just to clarify/confirm: You're saying that what I want to do — have a text box/placeholder that (1) contains different size fonts and (2) can be edited in normal slides — is impossible, right?

Thanks again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to clarify/confirm: You're saying that what I want to do — have a text box/placeholder that (1) contains different size fonts and (2) can be edited in normal slides — is impossible, right? Thanks again.
    Yes, I think the logic is that the placeholder makes it easy for you to produce repeatable-appearance 'things' on multiple slides, and having more than one font/size would make entering new text (with the same mix of fonts etc) impossible - how would ppt know when to switch fonts as you typed in your new text? I think to achieve what you want will necessitate manual input.

All the best, Martin (PS It seems the email notification of replies is not working, at least for me - did you get a WS email in response to my inputs?)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

Jon5 (2018-03-14)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Martin. Sadly, that's what I thought — that what I want to do is impossible.

Sadly #2: the email notifications aren't working; I've been manually refreshing this webpage when I get a chance.

Thanks and best,
    J