Thanks

Is the site really back?

WOW...it was out for quite a period of time. Is it really back and stable?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's back, but is approx. 9 months out of date and is not secure as in no Https. Please read the thread directly above yours for more details.

Thanks
    In the older days, the word forum in "front" of windowsecrets... means a server named forum was inserted into the mix. After I updated both WSL URLs, no more 404s.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose there wasn't an alternative server site (in this case, cold site) to address such catastrophes. At least the site's back up and running and I don't get the security message when trying to log in any longer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    It's back, but is approx. 9 months out of date and is not secure as in no Https. Please read the thread directly above yours for more details.
    Yep....and during that time frame is when I joined and I was completely wiped out. Now I have to start all over with new user name/password. Let to good times roll....lol!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plankton23 View Post
    Yep....and during that time frame is when I joined and I was completely wiped out. Now I have to start all over with new user name/password. Let to good times roll....lol!
    That's a bummer. If you were wiped out, I would think you should be able to put at least your original name back in. I'm hoping that good times will roll again!

Thanks

Nice Avatar Plankton!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    @wavy... looking forward to the 'wavy' (as in 'motion') avatar of 'that bridge'.

Surprised that no-one picked up on my 'it's not an avatar', it's 'a GIF of an Avatar' avatar.

Haven't you folks watched 'The Fault in our Stars'?

ROFL
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-03-20 at 18:15.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    @wavy... looking forward to the 'wavy' (as in 'motion') avatar of 'that bridge'.

Surprised that no-one picked up on my 'it's not an avatar', it's 'a GIF of an Avatar' avatar.

Haven't you folks watched 'The Fault in our Stars'?

ROFL
    ROFL

and not me.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kweaver View Post
    WOW...it was out for quite a period of time. Is it really back and stable?
    Update: Yes it is back and IMO is fairly stable. There are snafus here and there, but not much that keeps one from using it for posts and getting info. I've seen complaints about uploading pictures, and that's being worked on. Hang in there, it's getting better....but slowly.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2018-04-27 at 14:04.
    I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CEScott For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2018-04-27)

Thanks
    I think "hang in there" is good advice with regard to this Lounge.
    It was great before and hopefully will again rise to equal its former status.
    I'm glad that Rick Corbett, and many others, have not abandoned WS Lounge.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I think "hang in there" is good advice with regard to this Lounge.
    It was great before and hopefully will again rise to equal its former status.
    I'm glad that Rick Corbett, and many others, have not abandoned WS Lounge.
    Many thanks for the mention... but I'm just a minor and relative newbie. The real heroes (and the ones I worry about) are the ones I've mentioned elsewhere (RetiredGeek, macropod, etc.)... the stalwarts who have been a mainstay of Windows Secrets Lounge forever. It would be a tragedy for WSL if they moved on because the owners of WSL fell down on their job of making the forum stable.

(Let's not forget the unsung heroes who toil away in the background, keeping the forum safe from an avalanche of spammers. Take a bow, satrow. I doubt that this forum would continue to exist without your expertise. )

On the other hand, it's a business... and the Windows Secrets newsletter (which spawned these forums) has been in a (dwindling?) flux of change for the last 2 years, as far as I can make out.

I only hope that informa - the owners of the forum since November 2016 - makes its intentions clear. My understanding is that it wants the WSL forums to continue... so recover we will!

I personally would also like to make a huge shout out to Woody Leonhard who allowed/allows his forum to host queries about the Windows Secrets Lounge during its recent troubles. If I can find a way to reciprocate then I will, most assuredly... thank you, Woody.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-04-27 at 18:21.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-04-28),RockE (2018-04-27),satrow (2018-04-28)