Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Why are Flash videos not playing on PC?

First, it's fabulous to have the Lounge back up! Thank heavens...and technology, too!!

I have a page on our site (http://www.mygoforthegreen.com/pro-shop/) with 3 Flash videos (I know...how terrible). They no longer play at all and if I click a "download video" link that appears, I get a page of gibberish (I guess it's code of some sort). Before that link appears, a quick message that says "not supported video format" (or close to that) flashes briefly.

What I can't understand is that these used to play just fine on the PC and laptop once Flash was activated.

Can anyone help me make them work? Or explain why they will no longer work?

PC is Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Linda, a delighted-to-be-back Lounger
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-09 at 12:27. Reason: Edoted link to Pro Shop page

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is so much not my field that I held off replying until someone who knew their onions did so, but with no takers, here is what I have discovered: when one clicks on the 'download' link that appears after the video fails to load, the page of 'gibberish' appears. This is in fact the raw code of the flv file, and if saved as such from the browser, plays fine in VLC player. If you are using Firefox, you can click on Tools>Page_info to see that the page has rendered as type: text/plain.

Additionally, if you open tools>web_developer_browser_console, you will/may see several errors of the form "Specified "type" attribute of "video/x-flv" is not supported....". This seems to be a red-herring, or may be a message specific to the medai player (mejs-mediaplayer) your page is attempting to load.

I found references to similar failures in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1028895, where it is suggested that the problem lies with your web server, which is transferring the files with the wrong attributes. To test this, I found a web page which has a simple example of links to flv files, saved the file locally, changed one of the links to one of your flv files (using the full web address), and sure enough, when I click on that link in my locally-opened page, I get the gibberish again. To be certain, I also made a link to a local copy of your flv file, and that played fine using the same method.

Now I must stress that i don't really know what I am doing, but maybe there is a clue in the above somewhere! FWIW, IE8 (I am on XP) also fails to play the clips, but when the download link is clicked, they download and I am offered the option to save or play (in VLC player). I also tried looking up your site on the wayback machine, and the copy saved there (c2016) played OK as I recall. I did try to compare the source code on the old and new pages, but it was all a bit too much to take in with my limited understanding.

Oh, its worth pointing out that the page, when downloaded as a complete thing, has 3 .txt files which are in reality the flv files you are trying to play. They may be the reason for one or more of the FF error messages. I can see in the page source references to both the 3 non-text .txt files and matching server-held flv files. It all seems to have got rather messed up!

hth, Martin
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-03-12 at 11:28. Reason: added notes, and more

Thanks
    Hi Linda,

First, I'm no 'browser' expert at all.

Second, I use Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit).

Third, I see the following 3 oblong shapes with superimposed URL text links:

wsl-linda.png
    Click to enlarge

Clicking on any of the 3 "download video" shapes does nothing but clicking on any of the 'Download Video' URL text links (shown in the red boxes) produces the text file you describe.

One way round this may be to remove the shapes (inline video representation) and just show an ordinary text URL instead (with text saying something like Right-click on the text link and choose "Save link as").

Hope this helps...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Wow, Martin...I can't believe how much information you have provided me and how much time you must have spent trying to help me find a solution! Thank you so much.

With what you and Rick have given me, I have a lot to work through and try out. I will do so and post back as soon as I have.

Had not realized the "gibberish" was actually the text file...interesting.

I know I'm having other issues on the site that my host is not proving overly helpful with (can't edit php for one). Maybe I'll also give their support another try - can't hurt.

First, however, I'll work with what you both have provided.

Again, huge thanks for so much helpful information...very much appreciated!!

Linda

P.S. My Firefox is the 58.0.2 (64-bit) version as well.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Update partway through:
    • I have tried a new upload of the flv file to my server with the same results.
    • Like Martin, I can play the file fine in a VLC player when saved and opened in one.
    • I checked Martin's link and discovered that the file seems to be coded properly (i.e., as x-flv not just flv) so likely this is not a server issue.
    • I am not keen to remove the images altogether as Rick suggests and replace with link.
    • I did try replacing the video with static images on our test site (www.test.mygoforthegreen.com/pro-shop), but can't get the blasted top margins to align properly.

I'm going to contact our host and see if they can help before going any further. Their support varies from great to god-awful, so not totally confident, but it can't hurt and may help. May as well get them in or out of the solution.

Once I 've done that, I'll post back. In between, I'll keep working on the numerous ideas in Martin and Rick's posts.

Onward and upward,

Linda

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do think it's a server issue: I am attaching my stripped down simple html page (as a zip) that has links to 3 flv files: one is my local copy of one of yours, the second is to the same clip as served by your host, and the third to one of the Media College samples I got the help from (my html page is a cut down version of theirs). This is what I expect (and hope) will happen when you click on the links:

(i) The link to the local file will fail for you unless you happen to have a 'video.flv' file in the same directory as the html file.
    (ii) The link to your web page should produce the 'gibberish', as supplied by your hosts server, but
    (iii) The last link should play.

This assumes you have a suitable flv player enabled in your browser - I am using Firefox 52.7.0 (I'm on XP) with VLC player installed with the Firefox addon (VLC web plugin).

What do you see/get?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Okay, while on hold with my host, I saw your post. Just clicked all links with exactly the results you said I should get: the first didn't play, the second was "gibberish" and the third played perfectly.

Does that suggest anything to you?

Hopefully, I will be able to post back what my host says shortly so you'll have that information as well (oops, couldn't get through...will try later today or tomorrow and post results).

I can't believe how much time you are devoting to this for me and I hugely appreciate it...and you!

Thanks so much,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-16 at 10:50. Reason: Added results of attempt to phone host

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Wow! Okay, while on hold with my host, I saw your post. Just clicked all links with exactly the results you said I should get: the first didn't play, the second was "gibberish" and the third played perfectly.

Does that suggest anything to you?
    I don't think it is in doubt: your web host is serving the video with the wrong attributes, and this has nothing to do with any of the complicated javascript on their page, as there is no javascript on my 'page'. Oh, and thanks for the thanks - it is a learning curve for me, and useful experimentation. I hope I never have to run a web site, but I like to understand what is going on. It was interesting gradually stripping down the Media College page, seeing what broke as I removed 'stuff'.