Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Surely the deciding factor is what's the laptop going to be used for?

The original 500GB HDD was 5400 RPM... so it was a slow 'spinner'. If storage requirements aren't an issue then perhaps a smaller capacity SSD would fit the bill, i.e. cheaper and much faster than buying an HDD identical to the original spec.

My main PC has a 250GB SSD and after 2 years of using it every day (and with loads of programs installed), it still has only used 130GB (i.e. more than 110GB storage free).

Hope this helps...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2018-03-23)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Phew! Many thanks again. I checked all your links, attempted sliding forward (wouldn't move), re-read the manual page from HP and tried again. Still no luck.

So I made sure again that 2 cover screws were loose but not out (they're supposed to stay in the cover apparently), inserted the tiny screwdriver blade into the panel behind the battery, opposite the battery-most screw and lifted slightly. It popped off! Thought I'd broken something but nothing loose fell out, so think I'm okay.

Now I can take a look at the HDD.

Question: Trying to see if it's a SATA II or III before searching for a new drive. Okay, I did find it. I t says "SATA 3". I figured it was a 2 so glad this was stated on the drive. That does mean get a III, right?

Of course, now I'm afraid to put the cover back on in case I have to go through this again! Sheesh.

Appreciate your help.

Linda

P.S. Should I wear an anti-static strap as I did when replacing the PC HDD? If so, where do I clip it...frame less obvious in the laptop!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-22 at 15:22. Reason: Added P.S.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Another PS to Rick...you were very helpful and your personal example really helps.

The laptop is not used as much as the PC and storage is thus not a huge issue. I appreciate the idea of 250 GB SDD. When I priced SDD drives , I figured I'd need an equivalent number of GB and they were way too expensive for our current budget. The link from Paul in #3 was for a 250 GB SSD, but I thought it was not large enough. Will revisit now.

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but is there a preferred site for great deals? I used NewEgg last time (and Paul linked to it), but is there a site with better value?

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is an image of the current drive for earlier post (#17) to see if it's a SATA III or if SATA3 means something different.

Laptop HDD.JPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda
    The laptop is not used as much as the PC and storage is thus not a huge issue.
    I'm sure others may correct me but, IMO, speed is down to 1) CPU, 2) RAM and 3) storage medium, not necessarily in that order.

• Your laptop has an i3 processor... even though it may be getting on, it's not bad. I have several 'Core 2 Duo' laptops that are envious.
    • Unless I've missed it, your laptop can support up to 8GB RAM but you don't know what's currently installed. (But we can probably help you find out.)
    • Your original HDD was a very slow 'spinner' from 7 years ago (MAR-11).
    • The SATA support level is derived from your laptop's mainboard, not the storage device. That is, if you buy the latest/fastest storage device running at 'SATA Bazillion', it will still only work at the speed of your mainboard's SATA bus.

Whether to advise HDD vs SDD vs RAM increase depends, IMO, entirely on what you're going to use it for to get the most 'bang for your bucks' (is that right? Idioms sometimes don't travel well.)
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-03-22 at 16:55.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2018-03-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ".decided to take a look at current hard drive in notebook first" That's a good idea.
    According to page 36 of 130 in the Mass storage devices section, it looks like the HDD thickness is 7.0mm.
    --- I believe that's for a thin HDD so you'll have to watch for that.
    --- An adapter for might be included in case a 9.0mm might fit.
    --- That might need more explanation but when you have removed the built-in HDD, let us know if the description on it reads THIN.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2018-03-22)

Thanks
    @cmptry raises a very good point.

When I tried to upgrade my Samsung R720's 500GB HDD to a 1TB HDD I had no idea that form factors for 2.5" HDD's could be so different. I broke the pegs off the HD cover as a result... and had to source a new cover (which proved very expensive).

I had no idea at the time that the 1TB 2.5" HDD was 12mm high compared to the original HDD height of 9mm. Colour me dumb at the time.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-03-22 at 17:15.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2018-03-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Linda,

This is an area where, unfortunately, the tech terminology creates confusion rather than alleviating it. SATA version 1 (aka, SATA-I) supports a transfer rate of 1.5 Gb/s, version 2 (SATA-II) supports 3.0 Gb/s, and version 3 (SATA-III) supports 6.0 Gb/s. It's version 2 that creates a lot of confusion because it has both "two" and "three" in the definition.

A close look at your photo reveals it to be "SATA 3.0Gb/s" -- IOW, it's SATA-II. FTR, it's worth noting that, according to the specs, the SATA bus speed inside your laptop is SATA-II.

You can buy a SATA-III hard disk and it will work, but in your particular laptop it will be capped at SATA-II speeds. Thus, there is no reason to limit yourself to only SATA-II HDDs. Although a SATA-III will not be faster in that laptop, if that HDD is subsequently transferred to another machine down the road, it will be a better performer than if it were a SATA-II HDD being moved to the new laptop. So consider a SATA-III if you find it at or near the same price as a SATA-II.

That said, however, like Paul and RockE I favor SSDs. There is no better performance bang for your buck these days than replacing a HDD with a SSD.

FWIW, here is a video I created illustrating the boot speed of a SSD vs. a HDD. Both machines have otherwise similar specs, except for the choice of hard drive. I happened to have both new machines on my workbench at the same time, so created the video to illustrate the difference. It's one thing to tell someone the SSD is 5 times faster, but it's quite another thing to actually see the difference side by side.

Of course, you won't get a difference that dramatic because one of those machines had an ultra-fast M.2 SSD, and because your speed is going to be capped by the SATA-II interface anyway. Nevertheless, the SSD should still be faster.

Re: removing the service cover on the case bottom ...

The cover has small finger tabs that mate with the case bottom to help secure the cover in place. After completely loosening the two captive screws, stick a small, flat-bladed screwdriver in the gap between the service cover and the chassis (1), and gently pry up while at the same time pressing *down* on the corner of the service cover (2). The objective is to slightly bow the cover into a convex shape so the tab more easily clears the case. It also helps to wiggle the cover to and fro a bit while doing this.

Once you have the upper left corner free, use one finger to lift that corner up while pressing down on the upper right corner, using a similar flexing technique to free the right corner. Once both corners are free, lift up on both while wiggling the cover side to side until the side tabs are free.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2018-03-23)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Rick. More good info...much appreciated. Yes, the idiom is perfect. Is there a comparable one "over 'ome" (as my Granny used to say)? "Pow for your pound" perhaps?

Discovered the laptop has 4GB memory now, and will stick with that. My partner who uses the laptop says he's happy with its current speed.

Despite that, am leaning toward an SSD with 250 GB. I know he'll appreciate that much faster speed.

He uses it primarily to check email and do research. The PC does the heavy lifting in our 2 person business.

The SATA support level is derived from your laptop's mainboard, not the storage device. That is, if you buy the latest/fastest storage device running at 'SATA Bazillion', it will still only work at the speed of your mainboard's SATA bus.
    Got it. Concerned just with fit into the computer slot. Will either a III or II (if there is such a thing) or any number SATA device will fit in the laptop?
    UPDATE
    Just read dg1261 and now have answer to my SATA number question, Rick.

Again my sincere thanks for all your help...and your time!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-22 at 18:20. Reason: Added Update

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda
    Discovered the laptop has 4GB memory now, and will stick with that. My partner who uses the laptop says he's happy with its current speed.

Despite that, am leaning toward an SSD with 250 GB. I know he'll appreciate that much faster speed.

He uses it primarily to check email and do research. The PC does the heavy lifting in our 2 person business.
    OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if all your partner just needs it for is email and 'research' (presumably 'internet-based', i.e. browsing) then I would be really, really surprised if you couldn't just use a 128GB SSD... cheaper still.

I hope others chime in here with their opinions... but IMO, Windows (whatever version) tends to kick in with 4GB RAM and upwards so I suspect this laptop will more than meet the needs for Linda and partner.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-03-22 at 18:30.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Totally blown away with your post, dg1261. Can't believe how much detail you provided, as well as a perfect image to help with cover removal (sounds as if I ended up following your instructions before I saw them but I would have been a LOT less nervous had I read your step by step first!!) and the video, which I will view and comment on later.

Want to take more time with your post, so will come back at it fresh in the morning and post back then. For now, thank you so much.

I am constantly surprised and delighted with this Lounge and the quality of all the super helpful people who hang out here. Really and truly, without this Lounge and all of you, I could not continue to operate our business (without hiring tech help). THANK YOU (yes, I am shouting, but in delight, not anger!!).

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the label description of your installed HDD. It doesn't appear to me that it's a Thin style.

Check this one out. If it looks good to you, call newegg (800-390-1119) to compare the information of your installed HDD: ask them also if it doesn't fit properly in your laptop, can you return it?
    WD Black 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 2.5 Inch - WD10JPLX
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-089-_-Product

With all of that said, SSD's are still worth investigating and there have been some excellent posts for them.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all and I think we're there!

This Crucial SSD drive looks like a good choice: good value, exact replacement for what's in there now (according to the specs and description). Reviews for it seem positive.

Would you please take a look at it and let me know if you agree?
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/pavili...productDetails

I think for the few extra dollars (checked cmptrgy's link to HDD), this makes better sense. 7mm seems to be equivalent thickness. Also compared 250 to 120 GB as Rick suggested and the price difference isn't all that great so why not go for more GB in case needed down the road.

Just one more question:
    Do I need any other items besides what comes with the drive to install it?

Once I have your blessing, I'll go ahead and order the drive and move on to the earlier videos on how to install it.

Thanks yet again,

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I am partial to SSD's the crucial one looks good to me. Note it comes with a spacer in case the HDD slot accommodates a thicker than 7mm height.

The computer manual indicates a 7mm HDD for your laptop but the description of your installed HDD doesn't if it's 7mm in height. I've tried to find the technical specs on it but couldn't.
    --- Measure the height of the installed HDD and see what it comes out to: 7mm (0.275"), 9mm (0.354"), 9.5mm (0.374”)

On the newegg HDD I posted, it's height is 9.5mm.
    --- Call newegg if you need to determine whether or not that HDD should fit into your laptop.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-03-23 at 11:13.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Phew! Many thanks again. I checked all your links, attempted sliding forward (wouldn't move), re-read the manual page from HP and tried again. Still no luck.

So I made sure again that 2 cover screws were loose but not out (they're supposed to stay in the cover apparently), inserted the tiny screwdriver blade into the panel behind the battery, opposite the battery-most screw and lifted slightly. It popped off! Thought I'd broken something but nothing loose fell out, so think I'm okay.
    Whew! You survived that one!

I can relate. This has happened to me, and I always get nervous when it does.

By the way, my wife's laptop got more of a bump up in speed from adding memory (I went from 4 GB to 8 GB) than it did when I replaced the HDD with an SSD. I did both, so that she would have the best performance possible.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast