Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Measured and the current HDD is either 9 or 9.5mm...couldn't quite tell which. Kind of strange since I'd understood from the same manual that it was 7mm. However, sounds as if the spacer will fix that.

I noticed Crucial has a live chat option so I'll "chat" with them to be sure it will fit and to see if I need anything other than the drive itself. Will post results.

Thanks so much for your reply - and for replying so quickly!

Linda

P.S. Just saw your post, too, Jim. Will run more memory past my husband to see if he wants it as well. Your personal experience might change his mind! Thanks.
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-23 at 12:35. Reason: Added note to mrjimphelps

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    dg1261:
    FWIW, here is a video I created illustrating the boot speed of a SSD vs. a HDD.
    You're right: I could really tell the difference, even with the identical RAM. Thanks for sharing the link!

Linda

Thanks
    An SSD gives you a speed improvement whenever there is a read or write to the drive. That helps whenever you open or save a file, or when Windows is writing to the hard drive in the background. You will likely see a big improvement when you install software, because a lot of data is being written to the drive during an install.

Additional memory gives you a speed improvement whenever you are actually using a program -- it is like having a big desk, and having a lot of papers spread out on it. The smaller your desk, the more time it will take to move papers around so as to get your work done. The bigger your desk, the less you will have to move papers around to get your work done, so you will save time there.

When there isn't enough memory to perform a task, Windows has to push some things to the hard drive to make room for other things. Having an SSD is faster than an HDD when you don't have enough memory; but it is even faster when you have enough memory, because memory is faster than an SSD.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    The computer manual indicates a 7mm HDD for your laptop but the description of your installed HDD doesn't if it's 7mm in height. I've tried to find the technical specs on it but couldn't.
    According to its spec sheet, the HTS545050B9A300 is 9.5mm thick.

Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Will run more memory past my husband to see if he wants it as well.
    Make sure you're running a 64-bit OS. If the machine has the 32-bit version of Win7 you won't be able to use more than 4GB of ram.

You can determine that by right-clicking "Computer" on the Start menu and selecting Properties.

BTW, you can also launch Task Manager, Performance tab, and see how much physical memory you're actually using.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

satrow (2018-03-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    According to its spec sheet, the HTS545050B9A300 is 9.5mm thick
    Nice. I was looking for the specs of the Hitachi model: I did include the HTS545050B9A300 but the TravelStar model didn't show up. So that's a nice catch, thank you.
    --- So Linda, looks like your good to go if you decide on this one.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I truly don't know what to say...you have all been so helpful and patient on this!

I plan to order the Crucial SSD. Likely no need to do a "chat", but may just to check if I need anything besides the disk itself.

Just came off chat with Crucial (very positive experience). As Lounge suggested, he confirmed that the 7mm Crucial drive comes with a platform so it fits snugly into our laptop's 9.5mm slot. Agent said it might require a SATA to USB cable to install (and showed me what one looked like). I'll read the "how to install" instructions first to see if that will be necessary. Will post back what I find out.

Thanks again to everyone. Not only do I feel confident in approaching this new-to-me task, but I have learned a great deal. How great is that?!

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just in case you haven't done so yet, it's worth downloading the service manual pdf for your model. Lots of good step-by-step instructions specific to your model in there.

BTW, no extra cable is needed for the laptop, per se, since you'll just be reusing the plug the existing HDD is plugged into. By "SATA to USB cable", the Crucial rep was referring to how you'd go about cloning your old HDD to the new one. That's a whole other issue this thread hasn't touched on. Basically, you'll need cloning software and some means of connecting both hard drives to the laptop at the same time. That's what the extra cable would be for. Skip if you already have a means of connecting the second hard drive externally.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    I plan to order the Crucial SSD. Linda
    Excellent. Thank you for letting us know.

EDIT: Earlier I mentioned that page 36 of 130 of your computer manual shows 7mm hard drive information. That threw me off because thanks to the information you posted I was quite sure the installed HDD wasn't 7mm so I went back to the computer manual to see what I missed. I found Hard drive specifications on page 112 of 130 and the 9.5mm height is reported. I didn't go back to determine why there are differences between those 2 pages, but I had to double check the manual because it didn't make sense to me that the installed HDD wasn't 7mm.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-03-23 at 19:16.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda you might find this article interesting for SSD's before installing your new SSD.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-ssds...59341748746160
    --- I believe you plan on staying with Windows 7 and will rely on a system image backup to do so.
    --- I don't recall what Windows 7 does natively on an SSD but from the posts in this thread it appears to me there will be an abundance of help for any questions you have as what does/doesn't apply in your case.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Migration instructions from WS.
    http://forums.windowssecrets.com/sho...-SSD-from-SATA

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-03-24)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    More great info!

Read Paul's post, but it left me a tad confused.

A bit more background:
    - current HD is dead, I think, as it won't turn on Windows at all
    - given that, I can't transfer data from it to the new SSD, right?

UPDATE: my next post #42 clarifies some of following questions, I think...
    - if not, I plan to use a saved on external HDD Macrium Reflect image backup to retrieve data

Do I just read Macrium instructions for doing so? Will I need to do the USB drive step? Will I need some special cable?

Finally, are these questions okay for this series or should I start a new thread?

Plan to order SSD today and just want to be sure about whether or not I need other items.

I will also review all links suggested here to see if there are answers there. DONE

Thanks all...sorry to be a bit slow on this!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-24 at 14:54.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    dg1261,
    Skip if you already have a means of connecting the second hard drive externally.
    I guess I've asked this in a way in my just now post, but...

I think I'll be using an image backup on an external HDD (saved with Macrium Reflect). Will I need a cable for this?

Update after more research: have read all links in above posts (thanks). Now beginning to realize that getting the data from failed HDD to new SSD is a bit more complicated than I knew.

Macrium documentation says:
    On a system that is not working, to restore to an earlier time, you need to boot from your Windows PE rescue media, whether that is a CD, DVD or USB-stick. The rescue media contains Macrium Reflect so that you can carry out the restore, then boot back into the restored operating system.
    Well, I checked my saved items and found a USB stick with "Boot Disk Windows 7 SP1 PC and Laptop" on it.

Is this what Macrium is referring to? Or back to earlier question: is failed HDD data transferrable or do I need to use this PE method?

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-24 at 10:36. Reason: Added Update

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul and thanks for the post link.

I've gone back and reread it after doing more research, and think I understand your post better.

A couple of clarifications on part of what you wrote:
    1 Create a bootable USB stick.
    2 Boot from the USB stick.
    3 Create a disk image to the external backup disk.
    4 Swap the HDD for the SSD.
    5 Boot from the USB stick.
    6 Restore the disk image from the external backup disk.
    7 Sector alignment with AB
    8 Sector alignment with MR.

9 Making sure TRIM works in Windows 7
    If the USB stick I found is the right one (sure hope so!), I'm at #4. Correct?

So I boot from the USB (will Google how); then, use Reflect to restore my most recent image backup. Have I got it?

Finally, not sure what #7, 8 or 9 mean for me? Or should I just check each link to see which is relevant for me?

Thanks, Paul...I seem to recall you were my saviour when I first tested Reflect on the PC...and helped me through trying a boot then!

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,059 Posts
    You need the Macrium Reflect recovery CD / USB to get you going. If you have that you are at step 4.
    Before you restore you need to read up on step 8. SSDs need to be aligned.
    Make sure you perform step 9 once it's running - the Trim check bit.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I'll do all the reading before going ahead. Will post back once I have with any further questions.

UPDATE
    A question re. sector alignment with MR (#8) based on this from the article you linked me to:
    1MB alignment. Beginning with Windows Vista/Server 2008 partitions are aligned on 1MB boundaries. For a disk with 512 bytes per sector this equates to 2048 sector alignment.

Solid State Disks require partition alignment to 4KB boundaries for optimum performance and life. 1MB aligned partitions are also aligned on 4KB boundaries so present no problem,
    My system is Windows 7, SP1. Does this mean I don't have to do this align step? Or am I missing something?

I've read the info about TRIM and think I can follow the instructions in your links...thank you.

One question about it...
    If you have a TRIM-compatible SSD...
    Do I need to check that the SSD I plan to buy is TRIM-compatible?

Sorry for more questions, but this is new information for me since I'm trying to upgrade to an SSD from factory HDD.

Appreciate any further guidance!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-26 at 14:28. Reason: Added UPDDATE

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast