Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question New Hard Drive for HP Notebook

Hi Loungers,

Would like to revive this notebook whose hard drive failed (yes, thanks to Loungers' advice, I do have several saved image backups). Don't want to spring for a new ones just yet, especially since it means Windows 10...eventually need to spend the time with new OS, but just not right now.

Can you help me select a new hard drive for our HP Pavilion g7-1070us series notebook? It runs Windows 7, SP1.

Here are the current specs:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02729693

I'd like to increase both speed and memory, if that is doable, given the current specs. Of the 2, more speed is more important than more memory.

I did some searching in newegg, but could not determine which HDD would be appropriate. Here is the page I searched, in case it helps: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH &Description=hard+drive+for+hp+notebook&N=10000651 9&isNodeId=1\\

Hope you can give me some advice! The reason I'm tackling this at all, given my less-than-technical background, is because, a few years ago, Loungers helped me replace the HDD in my PC...and it's still chugging along. I now feel brave enough to tackle the laptop.

Thanks as always for any ideas,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-24 at 14:55. Reason: Corrected version from Windows 7.1 to 7, SP1

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I would opt for an SSD in the lappy - I have one in mine and it's great.
    Something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820147676

cheers, Paul

Thanks

Thanks
    Here is the Crucial web site on the US side of the pond.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input and links. I've checked out the product ones (saving how to install ones for post purchase...great help!).

2 added points:
    - would prefer a cheaper option than an SSD drive. I know they are a better option than HDD, but feel this notebook, at 7 years of age and daily use, hasn't got enough life in its other parts to justify spending more than necessary.
    - is it the number of GB of memory that affects speed? I thought it related to the drive since my new PC drive seemed to increase the speed of my computer even though I did not add any memory at the same time.

To look for a compatible HDD, should I just search for one with the same specs as the NewEgg and Crucial SSDs?

I REALLY appreciate all your suggestions and links to specific units.

Linda

Thanks
    Once I'd experienced how much of an improvement an SSD made in a computer's performance, I didn't hesitate at replacing a failed hard drive with a new SSD in my eight-year old laptop. That old clunker is still faster than it ever was before, it's running Windows 10, and it is now nearly ten years old.
    Bear in mind that the SSD is still usable even if the other parts wear out, and a solid state drive for your laptop is faster than a conventional hard drive. You'd probably be much happier with an SSD than with another hard drive (as long as the SSD has enough storage capacity).
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2018-03-24)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    To look for a compatible HDD, should I just search for one with the same specs as the NewEgg and Crucial SSDs?
    All you need is one that fits in the lappy. 2.5 inch and thin, or smaller with an adapter.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul, and RockE. I'm going to search for both a "regular" and - after reading RickE's defense of SSDs - an SSD drive that will fit and determine which fits laptop and budget!

Will post back with choice for a final "thumbs up" from you, if that's okay.

Many mercis,

Linda

Thanks
    Another option is an SSHD, which is what I have in my older HP ProBook 450 G2. It actually works pretty fast since it is a hybrid with SSD & HDD.
    I bought this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-339-_-Product and a 1 TB just like it for backup purposes.
    Don't mean to add to your confusion but thought this might be helpful since it works good for me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a 500GB HDD in my windows 10 desktop computer and wanted an SSD.
    --- I don't recall how much disk space I was using but it wasn't much.
    I purchased a 320 GB SSD Crucial that was on sale.
    --- I'm not a hardware person but wanted an SSD and it's paid off excellently especially since it is much faster and I use only 33GB.
    So check the usage you are presently using to see if it's worth buying an SSD at lower amount.
    --- If I remember correctly, the HDD in your computer is 500GB according to the specs you posted.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-03-22 at 13:09.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A bit of an issue...decided to take a look at current hard drive in notebook first. Despite viewing videos in #4, I can not get the blasted cover to come off. Have spent quite a bit of time searching all through HP and other videos. In all, it just comes off once the screws are loosened.

The screws are loosened (double and triple checked), but the cover will not lift up more than just slightly at the battery end and I am afraid of cracking it.

Is there some trick I'm missing? Any suggestions...right now, I just feel rather dumb!

Hopefully,

Linda

P.S. Sent this before reading #10 and 11. Appreciate the additional ideas...will have to get into the blasted thing first! ;-)
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-03-22 at 13:13. Reason: Added P.S.

Thanks
    You probably missed one or two screws. Be patient and keep looking. And make sure you didn't miss a step somewhere in which you therefore might have missed removing that one or two screws. There might be a tiny rubber plug, or a tiny black piece of paper, that is covering a screw. In some cases, there is a screw that is removable from the other side!

I know you feel like forcing the cover off, but resist that temptation. Been there, was tempted to do that.

HP has very thorough information available for how to do this. Make sure you have read everything they have available.

Update: Here is your computer's Maintenance and Service Guide:
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02720306

P. 43 tells you to remove the 4 rubber feet. There will undoubtedly be a screw under each of those feet. They may be holding the cover on.

After you remove the battery, you may find some screws under it. They may or may not be holding the cover on.

Check P. 47 in this document (you may have already read this document) -- it tells how to remove and replace the hard drive.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2018-03-22 at 13:40.

Thanks
    Make sure the screws are unscrewed completely (but not necessarily removed from the cover which will likely retain them). Then the cover should pop off relatively easily. You may find sliding it to bring success.
    Last edited by RockE; 2018-03-22 at 13:35.
    - - - - -

Thanks
    The HP Video at this page:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03685407
    indicates that after you remove the two screws, you need to slide the service cover to the front and lift the right side of the cover.

Jerry

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast