Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Linda, "indeterminate", as I said, implies TRIM is working because the data is now gone. Coupled with the Windows speed rating of 7 and the speed of operation you are seeing, I would say you have successfully installed the SSD and it is operating as it should.

We look forward to your next "adventure in upgrading hardware".

cheers, Paul
    Thank you Paul. That's a good summary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Thanks Satrow, does that mean HardDiskSentinel runs its own TrimCheck? If so I'll depend on HardDiskSentinel from now on?
    Yes, it does check and display the result, though it's unlikely that any current tool is completely accurate. It's a paid software with a free trial version, though there are regular special offers available, as well as the occasional giveaway.

I aim for stability and longevity so I settle for the 'basic' MS SATA drivers and don't allow them to be updated as even the MS/Intel versions from Windows Update can break Trim. It doesn't worry me that I might lose a little speed by not using drivers from the chipset maker, esp. if they also add 2 or more extra 3rd party drivers (the more 3rd party drivers that load with Windows, the greater the chances are of hitting some kind of incompatibility/logjam at some point, increasing the risk of BSODs).

For users with NVME SSD drives etc. with more complex hardware connections than standard SATA, 3rd party drivers will very likely be needed to enable and activate Trim (and allow firmware updates).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-04-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow thanks for that explanation: I even understood it.
    I purchased my Crucial SSD in early 2015 and I'm still on the original firmware MU01.
    There is an MU04 available but since the computer runs fine I haven't updated it since I usually believe don't fix it if it isn't broke. Do you have an opinion on that?
    --- When I purchased the SSD it was the model recommended for a Vista desktop I had but I never installed it on the Vista computer. I had picked up a refurbished Windows 7 Pro desktop and cloned it to the SSD: the SSD ran ok but to me it was "sluggish": I vaguely remember changing some setting in the BIOS and from what I'm looking at it probably was SATA Emulation: AHCI. Since then it runs excellently and that's including my Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    --- And now thanks to this post, I found out how to verify TRIM runs and the recommended TRIMCheck led me to discover that.
    --- Anyway I believe it's best for me to stay with the way the SSD is even though it still has the original firmware version.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-04-20 at 23:26.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I would check what has been "fixed" in the firmware as there may be something that is actually bad in the original. Can you find the release notes for the updates?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I would check what has been "fixed" in the firmware as there may be something that is actually bad in the original. Can you find the release notes for the updates?
    cheers, Paul
    That's a good idea Paul, I will look that up.
    --- I was surprised that the firmware updates weren't automatic but I guess it's driver updates when called for is what's normal.

EDIT: I found them much sooner than I thought I could.
    Reduced resume from *DEVSLP time
    Improved drive error handling
    Improved random read performance for some workloads
    Improved *Async Powerloss recovery
    Thermal *Throttling may not engage, issue introduced in MU03
    I don't have any idea what the * items are
    However if I create an MRF system image backup and see if the updating to the newest does run ok: but if there are issues I could revert to the system image backup"
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-04-21 at 08:03.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, guys, as Paul says, it has been an adventure! I do feel somewhat guilty about gobbling up so much of your time, but hope the learning we are all doing on our adventure ameliorates that somewhat.

I had been confused re the Indeterminate result, assuming that meant keep on trying. Paul's post quoted in cmptrgy's #121 suggests I can stop now...and I will.

Glad I saw this before I started on some more attempts! Regardless, I'm still hugely grateful, cmptrgy, for how hard you have been trying to help me out.

I promise to hold off for a while before doing any more hardware upgrades!!

Thank you all so very much. As I've said before, this Lounge is the best thing on the Web, in my opinion.

Gratefully,

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your update Linda. I don't consider "gobbling up ... time" as an issue. Usually the first time is the most trying time in some situations and I've known that in my time. Happy computing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2018-04-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    However if I create an MRF system image backup and see if the updating to the newest does run ok: but if there are issues I could revert to the system image backup
    That won't protect you like you think, cmptrgy. The Crucial update would be a firmware update. The image is only a backup of the contents of the SSD, not the SSD's firmware. After updating the firmware, restoring from any image (MRF or otherwise) will not restore the previous firmware version.

My guess is the update will improve how quickly the SSD comes back online after waking up from sleep mode, and will be less vulnerable to memory cell corruption when faced with sudden power loss.

Note the "Thermal Throttling" issue was evidently introduced in MU03, so since you're on MU01 you presumably don't have that issue to begin with.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-04-21),satrow (2018-04-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    That won't protect you like you think, cmptrgy. The Crucial update would be a firmware update. The image is only a backup of the contents of the SSD, not the SSD's firmware. After updating the firmware, restoring from any image (MRF or otherwise) will not restore the previous firmware version.

My guess is the update will improve how quickly the SSD comes back online after waking up from sleep mode, and will be less vulnerable to memory cell corruption when faced with sudden power loss.

Note the "Thermal Throttling" issue was evidently introduced in MU03, so since you're on MU01 you presumably don't have that issue to begin with.
    Thanks for that explanation. I did the update and the SSD is working just as well as it has over the years.

Thanks
    Linda
    Are you using full disk encryption? That can cause the results you are getting.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789