Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh for heaven's sake, Jerry. I looked again and, you're right: it is an "s" and not "a". The laptop screen is smaller than my PC one and I read it incorrectly...duh! Will head back to Paul's post and try again. Will post back.

Thanks a bunch for the correction!

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Confused re. Command Prompt Results

Hi Jerry, I did the fsutil prompt and got a "0". On Paul's next step, here is what I got the first time and the second time...not at all sure what to do next??? UPDATE: found WEI in Control Panel, Systems. Score is 3.1. Also included a screenshot of all scores.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-04-13 at 13:20. Reason: added WEI update

Thanks
    Getting a 0 back on the fsutil command A indicates that TRIM is enabled correctly. You shouldn't have to do anything further.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, just saw your reply, Jerry. Thanks. Oh well, at least I learned how to do all those other tests. No need to respond to all my questions. I'm glad TRIM is A-OK and the new SSD is all ready to go!

It's been a long journey but a successful one, thanks to this Lounge and its fabulous troupe of Loungers!!

Linda

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda, just in case it slipped by your notice, take a look at your WEI hard disk subscore now. That's the impact of a SSD vs. traditional HDD.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Linda, the TRIM test is "indeterminate", meaning the test program is not sure if TRIM is working.
    Run TRIM check again, wait 10 seconds and run it a second time. You should get a result like the attached image.

cheers, Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

satrow (2018-04-14)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    dg1261, check my WEI for the new SSD in my post #92. Can't do my HDD in the laptop since it's toast. Paul, oh. I figured I was okay after receiving the "0" in your first test as jwitalka indicated in #93. However, I'll try the test again to see if I can get a screen like your screenshot and let you know. UPDATE: I've tried a few times (run; wait; run again), but keep getting the same message as posted earlier: indeterminate. Not sure now whether the SSD is in TRIM or not. Can I not just go with the result of test #1 (0)? Or...? Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-04-16 at 10:05.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Test #1 is not a guarantee - I've proved that on my own laptop.
    TRIM check is still not sure, but the message implies that it is working. Try a few more tests, but with shorter intervals between the first and second run.

cheers, Paul

p.s. is your laptop working the disk very hard? Fire up Task Manager and check disk use.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it, Paul. I'll try a few more and attempt to get the interval shorter. Will post results.

CPU use is varying from 0 to 9%. That's not hard, correct?

RESULTS: I've tried numerous times with shorter intervals, Paul, but can't get a positive read. Often, when I re-open trimcheck, it's still asking me to press Enter to Exit, even though I had already done that. I did get one more final result, but is was still Indeterminate.

Should I try with the open browser shut off? Right now, my partner is using Firefox on laptop for researching some sites. No other programs are open (aside from the ones that open when Windows boots).

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,037 Posts
    If you are running a program in a command window, open the command windows first. Then the window will not close automatically and you will be able to see the program output.

To open a command window, press the start button, type "cmd", select "command prompt" (right click and select "run as administrator" if you need to)
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for jumping in, Joe. Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I am running the trimcheck program which is run from a command prompt type window which opens after I click "yes" to allow it to run. It just won't give me a result like Paul's: no matter how many times I try, I keep getting "Indetermined".

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Open the command prompt first. Then run the trimcheck from within the open command prompt.
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. I did open a command prompt, but am not sure how to make it run trimcheck. I tried typing "trimcheck" but that didn't work.

Sorry to be so dense about this!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should type whatever you did outside the command prompt.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Okay. I did open a command prompt, but am not sure how to make it run trimcheck. I tried typing "trimcheck" but that didn't work.Linda
    Possibly because the command prompt cannot find the program, as it is 'sitting' in another folder (which is not in the path - jargon again!). I can't recall how to natively achieve it in W7 (or where it opens cmd by default), but you need to open a command prompt in the folder the exe is in (c:\users\peter\downloads). If all else fails, from the command prompt you can open, use cd... commands to change the folder to the correct one.

Alternatively, it may be because the program is called 'trimcheck-0.7.exe' so you need to type all that, at least up to and including the '7'. (well, its called that on the version I just downloaded to try).

hth, Martin (whose trim is not working, but I'm on XP)
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-04-17 at 11:51.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast