Thanks

Pulling icons from sites visited

If I visit sites and drop a shortcut onto the desktop, it will often appear in a smaller version on a white background. This (for me) is good, because my desktop is darker, and without the white "page" background for the icon it becomes harder to see.

If however, I then go to the temp folder holding icons from visited pages, which in my case is "C:\Users\cwbil\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\IN etCache" and then copy the icon to another folder for saving, the white background goes away, and what is left is the graphic artwork of the icon itself. An example of this can be seen by visiting the site https://www.cbsnews.com/live/.

What happens is that the logo becomes very difficult to see.

How can I keep the originally displayed icon (on the white background) for sites that require same for easy viewing?
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Sometimes different browsers show different versions of the same ‘Favicon’ when they are saved/dragged to the Desktop.
    Example:

Without going into the reasons why this happens, have you considered finding a preferred/more suitable image and creating your own ‘Favicon(s)’ to use with the URL shortcut(s).
    It can be done using basic image editing software like MS Paint or at the upper end, Photoshop.
    You can of course use an online image converter such as http://icoconvert.com/ (there are others) to do the work for you.

What I do, is look for a suitable image online, let’s say I was looking for a CBS News image to use as a custom ‘Favicon'.

CBS Google Image Search

I then save it to the Desktop. There are of course several ways to do this.
    If I opt to use an online converter, I would then upload the image to say http://icoconvert.com/. The image then can then be converted to a suitable format, .ico file, to be later used with the URL shortcut.

Click the image below (or the link below the image) to see a short video showing how I do it.

https://www.screencast.com/t/V5kXRSHwUQWz

A caveat worth mentioning though, is if the created Favicon folder and Favicon file are moved from their location, the link to it/them is/are broken and the Favicon(s) will return to a default Favicon – not your custom one.
    However, this is no different to using Favicons saved in the Internet Cache. If these Temp files are removed, so is the Favicon.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Moonshine- For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2018-03-26),Rick Corbett (2018-03-26)

Thanks
    Just to amend the above – if Internet Explorer is being used to put a Favicon on the Desktop, right click an empty space on a Web Page > Create shortcut > Do you want to put a shortcut to this website on the desktop? > Yes.
    You can then r/click the Desktop shortcut to change the icon as above.

Click to enlarge

Thanks
    It's interesting how the different browsers process and react differently to the same input.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"