Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    In my opinion, the attachment/insert method, when it works, is not the most efficient method of receiving help in a help forum, if an image(s) is being used as a visual aid to assist with any help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -Moonshine- View Post
    In my opinion, the attachment/insert method, when it works, is not the most efficient method of receiving help in a help forum, if an image(s) is being used as a visual aid to assist with any help.
    So what is?

Thanks
    Personally, I don’t think it is good practice in a ‘help’ forum to use the attachment/insert method for showing images – especially from a member who is asking a question and using image(s) as a visual aid to show perhaps a relevant problematic issue.

Let me try to explain what I mean.
    At the time of posting this message, there are only 8 members logged in who can see attachment/inserted image(s).
    There are however, 360 guests who can’t see those images. They will see something similar to these:

What that means is, there is potentially 360 guests who could potentially offer help if they could see the image(s) and perhaps offer a solution to an issue.
    Different times of the day and different time zones affect the guest count and it can rise by the hundred (more potential help). The members ‘logged in’ count rises also, but doesn’t match the many hundreds of potential helpers out there looking in, who can’t see an image(s).
    I have on a few occasions, while browsing help forums, registered and offered help, often successfully, on the strength of seeing an image included in a post while being a guest.

I don’t know if it’s possible for the admin to tweak the VB software to allow attachments/inserts to be seen by non-members/guests, if that can’t be done, I’d advise all that seek help and want to include an image, to use an image host outside of WS so the images used as visual aids are viewable by everyone.

I do know everyone doesn’t agree with what I have posted above. For some reason, they would want to keep the images within the ‘club’ which shuts down a very wide area of possible help.
    This in a help forum!

I mentioned this sometime ago in another forum when someone who was asking for help, using attached images as visual aids, wasn’t getting any help at all.
    I mentioned that at the time of posting, excluding myself, there was a grand total of 3 people in the whole world that could see the images that had been posted. I suggested using an external image host to widen the field of help.
    I pointed out that here was over 900 ‘guests’ who couldn’t see the images so couldn’t help using those visual aids.
    One of the 3 people was the actual poster asking for help and the other 2 were serial posters of jokes and their potential knowledge of the subject in question was perhaps limited as they hadn’t ever posted any help since joining the forum some 6 years previously.

I was told that they (the person asking for help) didn’t want anyone else to see the images. They didn’t want hundreds of guests to try to help.

Each to their own, but I’m not sure I understand that logic in a help forum.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Moonshine- For This Useful Post:

A1ex99 (2018-05-06),Lugh (2018-05-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    It didn't go directly to post #9 like I was hoping it would. I guess I have more to learn.
    You need to get the link from the post number on the right end of the post title bar. Eg this is the link from r-clicking the "#30" on your post above.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    I don’t know if it’s possible for the admin to tweak the VB software to allow attachments/inserts to be seen by non-members/guests
    Unless vB changed from when I adminned a vB forum, that can be done, it's just ticking a box in the settings of the non-members [or not logged-in] usergroup.

they (the person asking for help) didn’t want anyone else to see the images
    If that was a general issue, what I said above is customizable for each individual section / forum / sub-forum. So the general setting could be images viewable by all incl guests, but the setting for one or more 'private' forums could have guest viewing disallowed.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    I did ask a forum VB administrator some years ago if settings could be changed to allow guests (non-members) to see attached images/inserts and he said it wasn’t possible in that particular version of VB software.
    It seemed he was implying that it could be done in newer software versions.

These forums have had a few issues recently (some still on-going) and we should be aware that asking for more options, however small they are when some existing ones are problematic, can make a forum a painful thorn in the side for those that make it all happen.
    They might just shut it down if 'they' feel it is not worth it any more. Lets hope that doesn't happen. However, time will tell.

Thanks
    Regarding external image hosting sites:

There are many image hosting sites out there, some good, some not so good. http://tinypic.com/, www.postimage.org/, https://imageshack.us/, to name but a few.
    My preference is https://imgur.com/
    Whichever hosting site is used, broadly speaking, it is better to register and create an account. This then allows a user to create folders to put the images in and more importantly, allows a user limited editing options for uploaded images. A user can also delete an image at will should they want to.
    Each hosting site will have their own methods and some are easier to master than others.
    Note: You don’t have to create an account, but advantageous options are made available should a user do so.

With Imgur, you simply navigate to their home page, use the New Post tab, navigate to your chosen image, d/click it, and use the ‘Get Share Link’ options which allows a user to select a type of code (BBCode for this forum) and to copy it. It is then placed in a new thread box or a reply box in an existing thread.

Click the image below to see a short video using Imgur as the hosting site and using the created [IMG] code [/IMG] in a WS reply box.
    Note: I haven’t used a registered account for this example and have used the Quick Reply and the Go advanced options for the reply. I appreciate there are other ways to include the code in a reply in this forum.

Last edited by -Moonshine-; 2018-05-06 at 06:32.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I get a (nearly) blank screen with that - and the image that is named after the link https://www.screencast.com/t/ruFcT0wR appears to be 0x0 pixels, according to my (admittedly old) Firefox 52.7.4 (I'm on XP). The thumbnail does show in WS.

I understand your pioint about the number of visitors unable to see images, the solution (to my mind) would be to allow them to do so, but under the current rules, I do think anyone who posts a question could at least bother to register first, so they will see them.

My main objection to using a hosting site is that they sometimes shut down, or turn images off (photobucket), whereas, server crashes apart, the original forum site is either there or not.

PS I appear to be here on my own at the moment!
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-05-06 at 07:18. Reason: tweak

Thanks
    . . . .but under the current rules, I do think anyone who posts a question could at least bother to register first, so they will see them.
    Anyone posting a question has already registered otherwise they couldn't post a question.
    I think you have missed my point.
    When a question has been asked and an attached image has been included, the hundreds of 'guests' cannot see the images.

Clicking the image above works fine for me in all browsers. A slow connection will show a black screen till it loads.
    I appreciate hosting sites can close at any time.
    So can Windows Secrets.
    Using the insert/attach method in these forums hasn't been very successful of late has it? - hence this whole thread

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, silly me, I didn't miss the point about guests who might want to help, but did forget that to post a qn one has to register. I shall investigate the nearly blank screen - it certainly isn't a speed issue, the picture is just not going to load ever.

Of course, attachments and all sorts of other issues have recently arisen here, but we have to hope that is temporary. I shall miss this forum if it dies, I have never found another that is so mature in outlook and populated by well meaning folk.

Thanks
    I suspect the reason you are having viewing difficulties is because of the 'old' software you're using.
    The video is HTML5 format and if a browser doesn't support that, it 'should' revert to Flash to allow viewing. If Flash has been removed because of security issues, that wouldn't help.
    If you are seeing just a black box, it is likely because the format is not supported or something is missing.
    Can you use a modern OS and modern browser for a comparison?

You maybe able to view this YouTube video instead if you are interested:

Just tried to view YouTube video in XP (VirtualBox) using Firefox browser 52.7.4

Last edited by -Moonshine-; 2018-05-06 at 08:30.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you use a modern OS and modern browser for a comparison?
    OK, original link works in W10 with latest Firefox (once I tell Noscript to allow it). I may explore why my (extended support) FF on XP can't handle it, it certainly has played HTML5-based video before, but I can't expect it to work for ever. I have always known that running XP beyond its expiry date was going to be 'fun', but I have no malware issues. It looks like it will be the support s/w (eg FF) that forces me to move on.

Just tried: YouTube link works fine in XP (I must have the vp8 codec installed).
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-05-06 at 09:52.

Thanks
    Please don't add any more posts to this thread. It's in the test area and likely to be deleted soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123