Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for a homepage page alternative to Yahoo

I've used MyYahoo as a homepage forever. The last couple of weeks their RSS feeds are no longer functioning (or at least not with any regularity). I'm looking for an alternative start/home page that would be similar to Yahoo's in that I can customize the news, sports, business, travel info that I would like to see. My email is through Yahoo, so I'd need to be able to see that on the homepage as well. I've heard about Prototype and Netvibes but don't really know anything about them and if they would be a similar type experience to Yahoo's homepage. Does anyone have any suggestions? Appreciate any help you can offer!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam: I'm in the same boat; gave up on Yahoo after RSS feeds went dark for weeks with no explanation from Yahoo. I think maybe you mean "Protopage" (not Prototype). It's a customizable home page with some built-in widgets. For your Yahoo mail you can put a bookmark for mail.yahoo.com on its bookmark page. While it won't have exactly the look of a Yahoo home page, you can most likely get the newsfeeds you're looking for. For me, it's a bit of a homely interface but I guess you can get used to anything.

You'll have to get a free account to use it.

Rob

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldMainframeGuy For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2018-03-29),Rick Corbett (2018-03-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Rob - Yes, I did mean Protopage - sorry for the mis-typing!! Is this what you went with to replace Yahoo? it sounds promising. I wish Yahoo would get its act together, but the more time that goes by the less likely that looks. Thank you for your help.
    Pam

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam: For some reason, RSS feeds have magically started working for me on Yahoo as of last night. It hasn't worked for at least a month prior to that - at all. Some were reporting that it was working sporadically...for me it wasn't working at all. So maybe I won't give up on it just yet.

Meanwhile, I also tried Netvibes. It's rather nice; a tabbed dashboard approach; a bit on the geeky side. If you decide to give up on Yahoo and haven't found another home page to replace it, I think Netvibes has a slight edge over Protopage but it's mostly a matter of taste. They're both free so you can try both of them and decide.

Rob

Lounger
    Thanks
    Rob - I got my RSS feeds back as well in Yahoo this morning. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll work for awhile. I will check out Netvibes just in case!

Thanks

Personal Start Page / Home Page

I don't know what's gone wrong with this post, all attempts at paragraphs haven't worked since I edited to attach the file in next post—use that file to make sense of the rest after "Here are my notes:"Almost a decade now since one of the first RSS feeds obits Rest in Peace, RSS, and then Google Reader got closed ~5 years ago. Don't rely on any site keeping RSS going.Personal Start Page / Home Page[PS forum won't take embedded links from my OneNote notes, so they're in the DOC file attached to the next post if you need the URLs]I looked into this a month ago. The one I liked best is Start.me, which is similar to NetVibes. Protopage won't suit if you have a lot of links.Here are my notes:Personalized Start PagesNetVibes: Like Start.meProtopage: for low-voligHome: for low-volMyYahooMy MSNStart.meMyStart: stripped downIncredible StartPage: Chrome extuStart: many customizable widgetsSymbaloo: grid-style buttons
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-04-04 at 01:11. Reason: Attachment messed formatting
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Almost a decade now since one of the first RSS feeds obits Rest in Peace, RSS, and then Google Reader got closed ~5 years ago. Don't rely on any site keeping RSS going.Personal Start Page / Home Page[PS forum won't take embedded links from my OneNote notes, so they're in the attached DOC file if you need the URLs]I looked into this a month ago. The one I liked best is Start.me, which is similar to NetVibes. Protopage won't suit if you have a lot of links.Here are my notes:Personalized Start PagesNetVibes: Like Start.meProtopage: for low-voligHome: for low-volMyYahooMy MSNStart.meMyStart: stripped downIncredible StartPage: Chrome extuStart: many customizable widgetsSymbaloo: grid-style buttons
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-04-04 at 00:47. Reason: attach
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD