Lounger
    Thanks

onedrive question

I don't understand how OneDrive works. I have many folders and files in my local PC onedrive folder, newly created a few days ago. I also have those same folders and files in the onedrive cloud, but they are older files without the new changes.If I turn on onedrive and sync, what happens to all those folders and files that have the same names in both places?Will the newer files on my local PC replace the files in the cloud that have the same names? Or will the files from the cloud replace the files on my local PC overlaying the changes I have made in the last few days? OR?????I want to use onedrive to save changes made to local files in the onedrive folder. Fred

Thanks
    Here are a couple of OneDrive explanations to start with:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ws-10-onedrive
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/ope...in-windows-10/

Experimentation is also a good way to answer certain questions about OneDrive. Remember to keep copies of all important files somewhere safe when you experiment. Backup, backup, backup...
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have files in your local Onedrive folder, and copy or drag in a file with the same name, it will behave exactly the same as any other folder - it will ask you if you want to replace the file or skip. Regardless of the file's date, you choose to replace or skip the file move (or copy).
    Whatever is in the Onedrive folder in your local PC will be transferred to the cloud when you sync. There is no need to have sync turned off at any time - that way whatever you put in the Onedrive folder gets sent to the cloud immediately.
    If you have room you can leave the files in their original folders on your HDD, and just copy them to Onedrive folder. Once synced, right click on the file(s) or folder in Onedrive folder, and select "Clear Space". This will remove them from the PC's Onedrive folder, thus freeing up the space, but you will still have them in their original folder, plus you can left click them in the Onedrive folder to retrieve them from the cloud.
    And remember, the Onedrive cloud has a recycle bin just like your computer, and holds all deleted files for 30 days.
    Last edited by skcusime; 2018-06-15 at 17:43.